Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First trip, and need some engine tips
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I would pull the engine totally down & look for more bits of swarf inside the case / oil pump. My Spidey-sense is tingling... Unless you can account for all the broken bits of metal, there is a high probability of extra debris inside.

bnc
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'd be afraid to leave the neighborhood until I tore it down and cleaned it out. Sorta kills the joy of driving when you go down the road saying to yourself "whazzat noise"?

If you were planning a rebuild during the long winter you might justify leaving it til then, you probably wouldn't nuke any parts but will damage bearings and ultimately lose oil pressure if there is any FOD. I'd make sure your dummy lights are in good working order until you are ready for a tear down.

Pull it one weekend, clean it and reassble during the week, put it back in the next. You still have a month or so before the weather gets really nice up there, you won't miss much!
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I missed a piece of the story. After the failure shown in the pictures with the broken pieces (all were accounted for) I upgraded the rocker shafts, put in a couple new pushrods, and drove it for the rest of the summer. It ran great minus a little rich, and a little sluggish when starting to accelerate from speed.

Over the winter I did a oil change (no surprise debris), changed all valve adjusting studs, new rocker studs, new rocker blocks, new exhaust, and changed out two damaged spring retainers. It was running again a couple nights ago for a quick run down the road. Last night I went out for about a 30 minute drive and had no major issues. Again it is sluggish when starting to accelerate from speed. Planning on putting in new spark plugs, and verifying/correcting the timing this weekend. Waiting on carb synchronizer tool and will tune the carbs when it arrives.

Next winter I am hoping to find a local VW air cooled gearhead, or a shop in Edmonton to change the worn valves (3 all on same head), put lash caps on all valves, upgrade to swivel feet adjusters, and upgrade to chrome moly push rods. Not sure I have the know how to change the valves or ensure the rocker geometry is correct to do this myself. Wish there was a tool for type 1 engines like the one in the link Glasser posted... seems to make it fool (me) proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBO-Mgp0Og8
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, do you have a mechanical advance distributor or vacuum advance set up? Mechanical are very known to have flat spots during acceleration. Mine does......
But if it was OK before then might not be the issue.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the normal mechanical advance distributer... and it never had this issue before the failure. As soon as my carb synchrometer arrives I will be tuning the carbs, verifying/fixing the timing, and putting in new plugs. Again no know how... but Fisher Buggies youtube posts are going to guide me:

Carb Tuning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tigMg-Fn94

Ignition Timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQmKU2weyI

On the plus side, 3 days off from shutdown, and 3 solid rides in the buggy.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pictures as promised... First the aluminum skid plates:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And lift the tailgate to find the engine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chad great looking buggy and story. I really want to take mine on a road trip sometime so have been building a smaller more conservative motor for it. Did you have any troubles with customs on the way home? When you go to do your heads and you can't find a good place to do them we have an excellent shop here in Saskatoon. He's been doing exclusively ACVWs for over 30 years and built thousands of engines. I trust him with all my engine machine work. PM me for contact info if you want.

brad
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad,

Customs was giving me and the buggy the stink eye for a bit while I was importing it. I did a lot of homework and was well versed on the requirements. Some memorable highlights from the conversation:

"Is it a kit car?"
"Yes."
"Can't import it."
"I can if it is over 15 years old."
"Does it have a lift kit?"
"Yes."
"Can't import it."
"Doesn't matter if it was installed at least 15 years ago."
"Has it been modified?"
"Yes."
"Can't import it."
"I could import it with a Lamborghini engine installed as long as it was put in over 15 years ago."

After about 30 minutes of Q and A I presented them with a spreadsheet where I had documented all my calls/conversations with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, Green Levy, Canada Border Services, US Customs, Transport Canada, AMA, and the American DMV. As well I had previously talked with their supervisor (I knew which border crossing I was planning on using) to show her pictures of the vehicle, and a copy of the letter dating the vehicle to make sure she was good with it. Once I hit them with that bomb they kinda looked at each other and humbly stamped my papers and let me through.

Without the homework I think I would have ran into some troubles and ultimately not got the blessing to pass.

I will shoot you a PM for that shop, appreciate it.

Cheers,
Chad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. When I brought my Bounty Hunter home I had kinda the same thing from the border guards, but like you I had made sure I had everything I needed and knew all the rules and regs before I got there. The first time I took my buggy to the salt flats the American border guy commented that he liked my " golf cart" LOL. Then I told him how fast I planned on going. He looked confused Shocked

I sent you the info

brad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: