Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 hood (front) Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
polarisboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: 67 hood (front) Bug Reply with quote

In need (possibly) of a hood for my 67........What other years are the same as the 67 ? My orig is just gonig to have too much bodywork for me to feel good about using it so looking at replacement options.........
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 67 hood (front) Bug Reply with quote

polarisboy wrote:
In need (possibly) of a hood for my 67........What other years are the same as the 67 ? My orig is just gonig to have too much bodywork for me to feel good about using it so looking at replacement options.........

67 is one year only. 66 and earlier are same size and shape, but all the trim holes are different/bigger. you can use an earlier hood if you need, but you'd have to fill the holes and redrill for smaller ones, or run incorrect trim.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63- 66 hoods are the same style and use the same raised VW emblem profile as a 67...but as mentioned trim holes need to be addressed.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 hood (front) Bug Reply with quote

polarisboy wrote:

Stand aside while people give me the business, but...

It should be said that aftermarket sheet metal or fiberglass options may or may not fit (depending upon the supplier) and you generally have to drill the holes. May not be a bad option if the original is still in good enough shape for accurate measurements rather than filling and then drilling, if that makes sense.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
polarisboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I knew there were years similar but wasnt sure how far back it went...I may try and have the orig fixed, im not sure yet, but if not I will look at thses options...and yea Im not a fiberglass or aftermarket sheet metal fan, rather keep it old vw....gotta replace the feft front fender also it is aftermarket, and a lot on it is not correct, inc horn hole location, and overall fit.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your hood? Absolutely use the same one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: There were 3-4 very nice 67 only hoods at Bugapaluza yesterd Reply with quote

yesterday in TN. Might be worth posting a WTB message on the site if you are willing to deal with a long distanc source.

There was one I saw that was perfect. Needed sand and painting only
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athens, Texas is about 2 hours away, and there is a big VW junk yard called Don's Bug Barn. They are only open on weekends and post their hours on a facebook page. I guarantee they will have what you need, so if you don't want to ship something, make a weekend of it and go see the bug barn

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
polarisboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thats my hood...Not rusted but theres a lot there to it you dont see in this picture...This was when I bought it and all OG paint was covered in primer..Orig Ruby red and only body part not orig is the driver front fender......And yes I get updates on Dons Bug Barn. I have not been there yet seems like every weekend they are open is a weekend I have to work, but Im keeping an eye on it. Hope to find that fender there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: