Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine idles really high after coming to a stop
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vridaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Engine idles really high after coming to a stop Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a 63 Beetle with a 1200cc and a Solex H30-31PICT carb.

Whenever I gear down and come to a stop at a red light for example, the engine would be reving itself at what sounds like 2000RPM. Which makes my motor heat up pretty damn quick as you can imagine. To bring it back to normal, I have to pinch the throttle quickly to bring it back to normal. The hotter it gets the harder it is for it to come down to normal idle.

Any ideas on how I should go about diagnosing this problem? The car runs fine otherwise.

Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking throttle? Vaccum leak?

What do you mean by "pinch the throttle quickly"?
vridaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check if the throttle is sticking. Good idea!

What I mean by pinching the throttle is just giving the motor a quick rev with my foot. It usually makes the engine come back down and rev at the normal 900rpm
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, never heard it called that before; always refered to that as tapping the throttle if you don't press down far, or a quick jab of the throttle if pressed down further.

Most likely a sticking throttle then. Check that the throttle shaft of the carb moves freely and that the bushings aren't worn in the body. Speaking of which, how old is the carb? Also, check the throttle cable and linkage at the pedal for binding. If you can't remember the last time the cable was cleaned and lubricated, now would be a good time to do so.
vridaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head my friend! Sticking throttle Smile

Sometimes it goes back all the way, sometimes not. I'll lube all the parts in that and tinker with it.

Thanks for your help!
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a small pin in the stepped throttle positioner that probably fell out due to vibration. Get a small nail the proper length and superglue it into the hole as it acts as a stop to keep the stepped positioner from flipping completely over causing the racing condition. Red arrow
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theblake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles really high after coming to a stop Reply with quote

vridaw wrote:
Whenever I gear down and come to a stop at a red light for example, the engine would be reving itself at what sounds like 2000RPM. Which makes my motor heat up pretty damn quick as you can imagine.

I have a general question. If your engine is idling at say around 2000rpm, should your engine really heat up that much? The fan is spinning faster at 2000rpm and should provide enough cooling, especially since there's no load on the engine.

Of course, the biggest concern would be wasting gas with a high idle.
vridaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles really high after coming to a stop Reply with quote

Hey Aynthm, thanks for pointing that out. I actually have that pin, but it seems like it's the other throttle piece that is sticking and not going back all the way. I have yet to attempt to fix it..but I will tonight.

theblake wrote:
vridaw wrote:
Whenever I gear down and come to a stop at a red light for example, the engine would be reving itself at what sounds like 2000RPM. Which makes my motor heat up pretty damn quick as you can imagine.

I have a general question. If your engine is idling at say around 2000rpm, should your engine really heat up that much? The fan is spinning faster at 2000rpm and should provide enough cooling, especially since there's no load on the engine.

Of course, the biggest concern would be wasting gas with a high idle.

I doubt im overheating, I just got concerned when I went to check on it after a couple of hours of driving and got a bit of heat wave lol . Thanks for your concern though Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lube is temporary. Be sure to straighten, smooth and debut everything first. And check the cable and pedal assemblies in the same way. The trouble may not be at the carb itself.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Vaccum leak?

throttle shaft bushings are leaking vacuum causing the dieseling.? Maybe.
Wiggle it with some good eyeball inspection to see if the throttle shaft bushings are too worn to function as a good carb.
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the cable down by your pedal as it enters the tunnel, some have a red plastic coating there that can hang up on the entrance into the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
mukluk wrote:
Vaccum leak?

throttle shaft bushings are leaking vacuum causing the dieseling.? Maybe.
Wiggle it with some good eyeball inspection to see if the throttle shaft bushings are too worn to function as a good carb.

Vacuum leak will not cause dieseling. Running too rich will. In a stock carb there are no "bushings", just a drilled/reamed bore. When this bore is worn out one can have the carb drilled/reamed bigger for bushings to fix really bad wear.

Got to go over the whole pedal/cable/carb linkage to find any problem and lubricate. There should be a cable sheath where the cable comes out of the body and into the tube that passes thru the fan shroud.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+boden+tube
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles really high after coming to a stop Reply with quote

vridaw wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a 63 Beetle with a 1200cc and a Solex H30-31PICT carb.

Whenever I gear down and come to a stop at a red light for example, the engine would be reving itself at what sounds like 2000RPM. Which makes my motor heat up pretty damn quick as you can imagine. To bring it back to normal, I have to pinch the throttle quickly to bring it back to normal. The hotter it gets the harder it is for it to come down to normal idle.

Any ideas on how I should go about diagnosing this problem? The car runs fine otherwise.

Thanks

How many miles on the engine. Was it running ok at one point and then it started? If its a new carb, sometimes the flash on the seam of the carb can cause binding. I have had this happen.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Engine idles really high after coming to a stop Reply with quote

If it's still idling high after you've checked the throttle linkage, check your distributor (assuming stock ignition). The advance weight springs sometimes weaken and the timing won't retard all the way back at idle, especially when the engine warms up. Just a thought.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: