Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify roof rack
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2pchall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Identify roof rack Reply with quote

Need help identifying this roof rack. I was told it might be for a VW. I tried it on my sons 72 squareback and it did not fit. It appers to be from either the 60's or maybe 70's. It looks old. It has 4 suction cups on the legs and on each corner it has canvas straps and clips. Looks to have original wood and it has aluminum rails. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably one of those generic roof racks. The suction cups allow it to be put on multiple applications/makes / models. VW specific ones have the clamps for the drip rail, or at least the ones i've seen.

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guyprotection wrote:
I'm planning to paint my van next week and before I do it I'd like to repair some large, shallow dents in the roof since water pools up in the and has wrecked the current paint. I can push most of them out my hand but they pop back in after a while. I was thinking I could possibly pull the headliner and weld a bit of metal to support these areas and keep the dents from popping back in. Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing this? I'd also like to swap headliners between my parts van and mine while I'm doing this. Is this possible, and if so, how do I remove and reinstall without destroying it?

It is amazing what an experience body man can do with a hammer. I luckily had one such person in my apartment while I was addressing the same issues. He would tell me to push the dent out with my hand and wack right here, and he would point to a spot. Every time, the dent would stay out. I never did figure out the pattern as usually I was wacking some several inches from the dent.

Not a chance you can pull the extremely well glued headliner off without tearing it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
It's probably one of those generic roof racks. The suction cups allow it to be put on multiple applications/makes / models. VW specific ones have the clamps for the drip rail, or at least the ones i've seen.

Bret

Covered in the accessories forums a couple times. Indeed, Western Auto universal import rack. The clamps do not properly grip VW gutter profile when tightly snugged. I've owned 2- paid $5 for one in 1987, $20 for the other in 2014. Yours appears to be nice- and has the correct, grey cups in good condition. Some folks have thought those to be for Ghias- but it measures far too long front to back.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original German rack that looks very much like that one, mine has clamps and a made in Germany impression in it, I love the rack I have replaced the oak slats but will not be able to use it on my bus, Wink

So I will most likely put it in the classifieds.

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: