Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3M reflective Tape
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: 3M reflective Tape Reply with quote

Thinking about getting some of this stuff - red for the back and white for the front to adhere to my bumpers. Has anyone used the stuff? I found only one thread discussing it and that was for Vans....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the idea of being seen at night for safety reasons...they also make this black reflective tape that can be used on tires

Dr. Seuss
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think with a 12 volt system ur tail/headlight would be bright enough. If not add a third break light, or fog lights up front. Unless your going crazy slow on a farm road where people are going fast normally, I would think reflective tape is just over kill. If it's for looks that might be a different story.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the reflective tape on the flightline, it goes on anything that can be rolled, driven, drug, or carried out there. The tape does work rather well.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of modified Bugs lack any effective side marking lights (stock front turn signals weren't much anyway.) A strip of the black reflective down the side of the runningboard might be a useful safety improvement.
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good idea - as is water resistant quite well from what i understand -- that would be a good place for it -- the Vanagon section peeps say they use it on the sides also -- the black tape wouldn't show on the running boards except at night
Dr. Seuss
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That material is very difficult to install on compound curves.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKeck wrote:
I would think with a 12 volt system ur tail/headlight would be bright enough. If not add a third break light, or fog lights up front. Unless your going crazy slow on a farm road where people are going fast normally, I would think reflective tape is just over kill. If it's for looks that might be a different story.

A few years ago came up over a hill out in the dark country night and almost hit an early 1960s green Ford truck. Only barely caught the outline of the truck in time... Driver ran out of fuel and left his rig to walk the 300 or so meters to the very small fuel station up around the next bend.

Picked up the driver and told him to get some reflective tape on the rear or risk getting hit....
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was my thoughts actually - i live in Alabama and there are plenty of roads with poor lighting - and the country roads are far worse - on the one hand i dont want to junk up the look of the car but on the other hand i would hate to get T-boned or rear-ended - specially in that guy's circumstances having to leave it unattended in the dark -- the 3M stuff is very reflective and wouldnt need a ton of it to be effective -- while out this weekend i picked some up at Harbor freights during their sale -- 10 pieces for 5.99 of the half red/half white tape 2" x 10" -- is quite large and havent used it yet -- seems more than is needed - could maybe cut them in half to 1" x 10" -- i dunno Im still mulling it over - i havent yet purchased the black tape

regarding the black tape on the curve of the running boards - seems to me if it sticks well to those tires it should hold pretty well to the running boards also - even on the curve - i know they make a very narrow tape also - idea to be seen and since it is black cant really see it during day on black running boards
Dr. Seuss
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden motorcycles for over 40 years and have owned VWs for most of that time, too.
I currently ride a bike that has black plastic saddle bogs and trunk.
I have installed the black reflective tape on the bags and trunk, just a 3/4" wide strip on each.
I have to think it helps, along with a couple extra taillights.
After reading this thread, I think I will put a strip of it down each side of my 72 Ghia, in between the twin chrome strips.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as the real old bug lack emergency flashers, a stall on the highway at night can be bad visibility wise. and a parked car often has the lights off.

for getting around the lack of compound curve forming of the tape, cut it in smaller sections to work around the bumper curves. Thin strips will fit around curves better than thick (wider) strips. You might consider white tape on the rear also, it would be a bit more stealthy during the day but still stand out at night.

consider also a making a reflective rear license plate frame. it is up a bit higher than the bumper, which will enhance visibility from a distance and be above vision obscuring road spray when roads are wet

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can get it in the US yet, but - http://www.volvolifepaint.com/

very interested in this as I do ride bicycles at bight

Link

codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the paint seems like a good idea - however it lasts only a week.

I rather something i wont have to keep thinking about once it is done. The black tape is small thin strips might could also be placed on the rear window seal - as is not visible during day but is quite bright at night -- placement options are getting better and now im leaning more toward using the black tape then the red/white 10 inch strips i picked up at Harbor Freight -- purchasing the right width will be the trick - not too narrow but also not too wide -- my 67 is ruby and not many black areas i can place the tape on the rear of the car
Dr. Seuss
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: