Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield down but not down
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Windshield down but not down Reply with quote

Strange as it might seem, today was the first time I lowered the windshield. The forum's technoklutz needs another (probably obvious) answer.

The male nubs are ever so slightly askew from the rubber receptors on the front lid. The good news is both nubs are off by the same slight amount. The bad news is I don't know what I should be fidgeting with in order to make it line up correctly.

I hope the pic is okay. The reflection from the glass shows the ribs of storage, not of Thing. From the passenger mirror shooting three-quarters forward, the nubs are just to the right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had a good answer for you... I had the exact same problem after I put everything together after my restore. I tried re-aligning the both the nub on the windshield frame and the receptacles on the hood and have never gotten them to line up. Not sure what else can be adjusted.

jay
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two screws on the receptor go into backing plates inside the hood through somewhat over sized holes, allowing for some sliding around play for adjustment when loose. Of course the entire hood can be adjusted the same way at the hinges. The nubs are fixed and don't move. So I would think have the hood where you want it, then adjust the receptors, then move the hood more if necessary. Bear in mind I only know this from taking mine apart to paint, I have not yet tried to reassemble it so I possibly don't know what I'm talking about. Both of them being off the same amount would make me wonder if the whole hood has been moved a bit, it wouldn't take much.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!

This thread may be momentarily moot. My other running thread has me thinking I may need to get a whole new windscreen -- assembly, glass, and all. These answers may need revisiting if all of that happens.

The irony is the front lid is where it should be by measure and by my eyeball test -- except I can't open it. Rolling Eyes There's another thread on how to open the lid unconventionally I hope I will be able to find if necessary, but I'm hoping whoever installs the new cable (already purchased) will be able to get in there in their own.

Always something ... Confused
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was actually misaligned in much the same fashion before I took it apart. I ended up buying a whole new assembly as mine was badly bent when I bought it. It cost a lot but quality seems really good (Thing Shop).
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
Mine was actually misaligned in much the same fashion before I took it apart. I ended up buying a whole new assembly as mine was badly bent when I bought it. It cost a lot but quality seems really good (Thing Shop).

We seem to be of like mind as per my other thread which became intertwined with this one.

I do have confidence in TTS. This may delay Thing's bikini top. This definitely will toss any other vehicle purchases to the back burner. C'est la vie.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: