Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket temp gauges--reco's?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Aftermarket temp gauges--reco's? Reply with quote

I may end up asking on other forums too, but we're a bit more well considered and thoughtful about this stuff so I'd love to hear from folk.

I know Jake ran head temp gauges, perhaps oil temp too, on his kits, I can try to scrounge infor from what's left of the T4 Store.

I'm interested in knowing what's happening oil temp and pressure way, as well as head temp way, what's been successful for you all?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a 2056cc Type IV with a DTM in my Super, I had a Westach CHT gauge for all four cylinders plus an array of VDO gauges. I don't remember if I was told specifically to watch the CHT, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges, but those gauges kept my attention more often than the other gauges.

I really liked the Westach gauge. If I ever go the gauge route again, all of the gauges may be Westach gauges.

I remember there was a "master" gauge (for a lack of a better term) that one could scroll through whatever readings that were set up by the owner. If that sounds appealing, I bet someone at GermanLook.net could fetch the answer if a search there produced nothing.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those panel mount quads are too cool--I needa rob a bank, ha!

Thanks, the 2" dual wouldn't look out of place with VDO oil temp and pressure
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...Westach gauges are nice. I have been shopping about on their site for a while.

Aircraft spruce has a wide range of "aircraft" quality gauges as well of Westach and other brands.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges.html

And of course Dakota Digital has a great reputation.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=.../cat59.htm

I have also been recently reading about high quality of Stack gauges.

They got a top notch write up in Volksworld. They are electronic stepper motors digitally controlled. They are owned by Autometer.

http://www.stackltd.com/tacho1.html

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember Dakota Digital being mentioned at some point after I already went my route. I know it's a 1302 and not a 411 or 412, but here's what it looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW, this pic was taken when I first started the car, and before I replaced the speedo surround with a black one from a '72. Also, it is a KPH speedo but it was calibrated to to measure MPH.

Cool
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great looking. I like the Westexh switchable single, fantastic adaptation.

Is there a pro/con debate over thermocouples vs. spark plug senders?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really.....the spark plug is the best spot. Its the hottest point of the, cylinder. However. ...whenci get my engine assembled, I have a mod I am working on that installs a snap ring groove around the inside perimeter of the spark plug, counterbore.

I plan to use a larger ID copper ring terminal that will be tightly snap ringed into the counterbore with a thin copper washer between the top of the ring terminal and the snap ring.
In this way you get the ring terminal tight against the head, at the sparkplug location without the need for the sparkplug to actually use the copper ring terminal as the gasket.

The ID of the ring terminal will be larger than the outer diameter of the crush washer on the sparkplug. I may or may not need to go to the smaller outer diameter spark plug. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gads, you guys are way techie. Oasis, when you say that you used "a" Westach CHT gauge for all four cylinders, do you mean a single gauge to get an average temp. across all four cylinders?

Chris
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, never mind. A second (closer) look at the picture revealed the answer for me. Nice. But on further reflection, it's technically cylinder temperatures as there are actually only two heads.

Chris
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes and no. Typically from what many who have done much more research than I..... have found that the hottest point of the head and the best overall indicator of 2hen peak temps are getting too high.....is at the spark pl7g. Typically most people just hook to one cylinder that seems to have the least airflow or hottest running characteristics.

Others...like stripped66...ad I have noted from some of his posts are working hard within whatever cooling system they use.....to carefully equalize airflow and cooling so they are putting a thermocouple attachment at each plug.

I will probably be putting one on each cylinder as I am tuning out my D-jet just to see whats going on....but on a stock type 4 cooling system.....the airflows are unequal to the cylinders so there is likely going to be enough temp differences to drive your readings crazy from cylinder to cylinder.

I have some proven improvements to put into the cooling manifold and sheet metal....but im not going to experiment until its broken in and running right. It will probably be fall before that happens. ....but I will be doing the head work this summer. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: