Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which one is a more quiet Exhaust?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JF. The Super Comp is a very nice muffler system. But it - is - after all only 1˝" primaries and with a short collector, which means that it is designed for engines up to about 130 hp. I have built several 1914 - 2054 cc engines that pulled in the 143-147 hp range with it, and it works well. But consider that peak of what it will support.

WRT 2 in line mufflers. Something like this, http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Typ-4---Porsche-914-Mo...l.htmlonly I usually use 2 or 2˝" Simons straight through mufflers, because I like the sound of these and they are reasoanbly priced, over here at least. I guess Apple mufflers would´nt be a bad choice either.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Either way, you will give up some performance the further you migrate from the A1. It is a better flowing exhaust from the choices. However, if you need quieter, the Berg is is probably the best compromise and i would suggest doing a dual merge muffler if the single isnt quiet enough.This is the performance compromise thay we all deal with on many levels. You should listen to my wasp stepped header and empi phatboy, its a whole nother decibel level. More performance, the more we all compromise someplace.

Classic duals are louder than a single quiet pack. Mufflers silence with pressure/velocity.
dnielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using a pair of inline mufflers but setting them up like the dual quiet packs? For example, get a dual quiet and swap one of the mufflers for a muffler with same side in/out, then connect the "out" to the other muffler on the quiet pack. It would look super weird, but the dual quiets look weird already.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea im sure another factor in sound pitch, is internal baffling, brand and internal design.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put on the Berg w/single quiet pack first, then if time allows, try out the CSP Super Competition.

As to the flange gaskets (the ones with 3 bolt holes), what do you guys usually use and who carries them?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl_1303 wrote:
I will put on the Berg w/single quiet pack first, then if time allows, try out the CSP Super Competition.

As to the flange gaskets (the ones with 3 bolt holes), what do you guys usually use and who carries them?

i've used these for years with no issues. the reusable nature came in super handy when i ran hide-away mufflers. the one on my CB 1 1/2 inch header that i run now i have had for a few years.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Copper-Small-Flange-Muffler-Stinger-Gasket-Each-p/2518-20.htm

too bad aircooled.net is out of stock with no restock ETA known. Crying or Very sad
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
jl_1303 wrote:

i've used these for years with no issues. the reusable nature came in super handy when i ran hide-away mufflers. the one on my CB 1 1/2 inch header that i run now i have had for a few years.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Copper-Small-Flange-Muffler-Stinger-Gasket-Each-p/2518-20.htm

too bad aircooled.net is out of stock with no restock ETA known. Crying or Very sad

That looks nice. Do you know who else carries them?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl_1303 wrote:
67jason wrote:
jl_1303 wrote:

That looks nice. Do you know who else carries them?

CB sells a similar one, but since its a "crush" gasket style its not reusable like the one aircooled.net used to sell.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3640
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
JF. The Super Comp is a very nice muffler system. But it - is - after all only 1˝" primaries and with a short collector, which means that it is designed for engines up to about 130 hp. I have built several 1914 - 2054 cc engines that pulled in the 143-147 hp range with it, and it works well. But consider that peak of what it will support.

WRT 2 in line mufflers. Something like this, http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Typ-4---Porsche-914-Mo...l.htmlonly I usually use 2 or 2˝" Simons straight through mufflers, because I like the sound of these and they are reasoanbly priced, over here at least. I guess Apple mufflers would´nt be a bad choice either.

T

With a 2276, would the Super Competition hurt the lower band performance? I am aware that it will limit the peak power but at the same time, I only use it as a street car. If the Super Competition is quiet and does not hurt the performance for street use, it may appear as a relatively realistic option.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tuning is a bit odd with the super-comp dual muffler system. Stay away if your exhaust flow is on the highside or if using a cam with more than about 30 degrees overlap.

The layout is ok but the problem is the secondary sizing and length. Secondary pipes should be smaller and the mufflers should be changed to a chamber type instead of a glasspack.
Compared to primaries the secondary length should be no longer than primary length, and about 1.6-1.9 times larger area. think dual QP except with longer length between flange and mufflers, should work great.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got a couple glasspacks from mid America and built my own merged header with a 3" crossover tube. Was very quiet and sounded unlike any other type 1 exhaust. I'd pull into shows and people would follow my crappy super beetle just to see what kind of exhaust I had.

The best part of this exhaust was that it was tucked up high with glasspacks just poking out under the fenders. No bottoming out.
Also, unlike the sidewinder, I didn't have to take the muffler off to adjust the valves.
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking engine and exhaust. That fuel filter is an engine fire waiting to happen though Sad
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this used from a Samba member a few years back. Anyone know if I would need any additional fitting or gaskets to have this fitted?

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl_1303 wrote:

AHA! see how the secondary pipes are actually BIGGER than the primaries??
On a mild engine it won't really matter, but that's WRONG.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
jl_1303 wrote:

AHA! see how the secondary pipes are actually BIGGER than the primaries??
On a mild engine it won't really matter, but that's WRONG.

The collector too Rolling Eyes
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nice looking engine and exhaust. That fuel filter is an engine fire waiting to happen though Sad

Danger is my middle name. And I sold the car 5 or 6 years ago, so hopefully someone has moved the fuel filter by now.... or the car burned to the ground. It's a possibility since I haven't seen it anywhere around town for a while.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The tuning is a bit odd with the super-comp dual muffler system. Stay away if your exhaust flow is on the highside or if using a cam with more than about 30 degrees overlap.

The layout is ok but the problem is the secondary sizing and length. Secondary pipes should be smaller and the mufflers should be changed to a chamber type instead of a glasspack.
Compared to primaries the secondary length should be no longer than primary length, and about 1.6-1.9 times larger area. think dual QP except with longer length between flange and mufflers, should work great.

Modok, do you expect the CHT will elevate as a result of running the Super Competition? My cam is a FK8 and the CR is 9:1
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At certain rpms yes, I think it will. It may also confuse the carburetors and create a rich spot around 2700 rpm give or take.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that running the Berg (1 5/8" with a single quiet pack) remains the only option.

Basically I have no problem with that, only that I worry that it will also be very loud, as compared to the A1 sidewinder I am running at present.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some food for thoughts....After some 60 years of air-cooled technology development, are there any identifiable performance exhaust systems that are quiet, as compared with the stock exhaust? Is this not possible physically and/or technically?

Looking at the other boxer setups from Porsche or Subaru, they have some really quiet systems, only that they are water-cooled. Does that make that much of a difference in noise levels?

Would any of you exhaust guru's comment on this....I am just curious on what the situation is like in this area of our hobby.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: