Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which one is a more quiet Exhaust?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not difficult to make a muffler quieter than the intake roar.
Not much point in going quieter until you muffle the caruretors!! which can be done also, but usually isn't.
stault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modok, you've always given sound advice, truer words were never said.When I was building my project I tried to think through every choice I made but I was surprised by some of the out come, some good and gee I didn't know that was going to happen. I'm a musician, did pro sound, and opted to put a nice sound system in my bug not knowing that my selection of dual dellorto carbs would compete with it. I doubled the layer of sound deadening material
and it helped some. I also pondered getting a set of those cans they use for turbos and routing hoses some where to feed them. I did think about the CPS air box they sell but I have a Berg linkage that works great and I don't see how it would work with their system, it's not to bad when I roll the windows down or slide the top back
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, however, the muffler sound is way louder than that of the carbs.

From what I have read, rarely do performance exhaust systems have much to do with being quiet.

I wonder if there are other Samba members who are in need of a Performance Exhaust System that is also quiet.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muffler also can work like the tone knob. glasspacks take out most of the high frequencies but leave the LOWs. Not only do the low frequencies cause DRONE but......
General human nature to find LOW frequencies more annoying/threatening than higher ones.

SO, I like to use chamber mufflers with a short tailpipe. It can be loud, but I get no complaints at all from neighbors or cops! My favorite design of muffler is the three chamber dogleg type, made by flo-pro, and also many other brands.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl, dual qp mufflers are very quiet...you will not disturb your neighbors. They idle and run quiet at speed and have no drone(well mine never have). They do have a bit deeper tone than a stock muffler...and there is no fweeeem from dual qps
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
jl, dual qp mufflers are very quiet...you will not disturb your neighbors. They idle and run quiet at speed and have no drone(well mine never have). They do have a bit deeper tone than a stock muffler...and there is no fweeeem from dual qps

I have been trying to get a DQP from Berg, but was advised that a DQP that would match my header flange is not available.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
JF. The Super Comp is a very nice muffler system. But it - is - after all only 1˝" primaries and with a short collector, which means that it is designed for engines up to about 130 hp. I have built several 1914 - 2054 cc engines that pulled in the 143-147 hp range with it, and it works well. But consider that peak of what it will support.

WRT 2 in line mufflers. Something like this, http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Typ-4---Porsche-914-Mo...l.htmlonly I usually use 2 or 2˝" Simons straight through mufflers, because I like the sound of these and they are reasoanbly priced, over here at least. I guess Apple mufflers would´nt be a bad choice either.

T

I am also seriously considering ordering this setup for a type 1 from Ahnendorp Germany. Can anyone provide more information on this?
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same Berg merged header but with a Bugpack hideaway muffler, it is pretty quiet. Quieter than a single quiet pack
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: