Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Smog.... Catalytic Converter help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you could kinda send me a cheat sheet on your letter, then I could reword my version.

I just said to effect and you can copy if you want or reword with your own thoughts -

Dear Senator / Assemblyman. We need your help PLEASE. I belong to a large community of Volkswagon bus collectors who are having trouble getting their late 1970's air cooled VW buses smogged in California because of the lack of a specific catalytic converter. We cannot weld in the universal catalytic converter that ARB wants us to use because it would damage our engines and destroy the value of our cars. Air cooled VW buses have a unique exhaust system. The original part was bolt on and an EPA CARB I replacement is still available however we cannot use it because it is not CARB II certified. The few CARB II bolt on ones made do not fit some of our buses. We need the law or regulation amended to allow us to use a CARB I converter that equals the original OEM part until a bolt on CARB II converter is available again. Right now no company wants to make one because California is the only state out of 50 equiring CARB II standards on that old a car (1975-1979) The current law went into effect in January 2009, and the only manufacturer who made the CARB II part stopped making it in 2013. They did so because there are not enough air cooled VW bus owners needing a 1 state only part. All 49 other states allow the EPA CARB I certified part which is an identical part but without the CARB II Executive Order. If we could use the EPA CARB I part until a CARB II part becomes available we could pass the test. It would have been different if other states followed the CARB II guidelines on that old a car but no other state has. Can you find a way to amend the law to allow us to use an OEM quality CARB I part that is available when no CARB II part fits wihtout a lot of red tape? That would help us keep the air clean and our buses pass smog. Thank you for your time.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up, we checked with Emico again and also mentioned the part number SGKent had used. No interest at all. Basically they said that with the cost/hassle associated with the ever-changing California laws, at this point they're not particularly interested in California-legal CAT's period, let alone expanding their offerings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Just to follow up, we checked with Emico again and also mentioned the part number SGKent had used. No interest at all. Basically they said that with the cost/hassle associated with the ever-changing California laws, at this point they're not particularly interested in California-legal CAT's period, let alone expanding their offerings.

Thanks Ron.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm working on a 79 cali bus that's auto for someone it's only been out here a few years but sat so long all the fuel lines turned to tar. i was wanting to replace the muffler and stuff and get it running again and i was wondering if i could just leave the catalytic converter and stuff off we don't need them here if they are that old. and can i just put an aftermarket muffler on it, or will that mess up anything else if i do that.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
i'm working on a 79 cali bus that's auto for someone it's only been out here a few years but sat so long all the fuel lines turned to tar. i was wanting to replace the muffler and stuff and get it running again and i was wondering if i could just leave the catalytic converter and stuff off we don't need them here if they are that old. and can i just put an aftermarket muffler on it, or will that mess up anything else if i do that.

The issue will be while Kentucky does not require smog testing to my knowledge, it is still a Federal crime to remove working smog abatement equipment. You have to make that decision, no one can make it for you. Some people will say sure - do it. Others will say why pollute the air. Only we can choose our priorities.

I would leave a working smog system for many reasons, while others would remove them for their reasons. My own were formed with a 1982 CJ7 I had. The prior owner removed all the gear. I had to put it back on to meet new laws in California and was concerned about a performance hit. There was none and the levels of smog particulates dropped to 1/8th of what the car made with the gear removed. Since we breathe that stuff I decided to leave it on all my cars thereafter. However if the Catalytic has gone bad then that is another issue because you may have to fix the cause before installing a new one. I get e-mails and PMs all the time from people who are moving to California or other smog states for jobs, and some have removed all their smog gear and need to put it back. Take your time making the decision so you are comfortable with it.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i was also looking into the cost too as i have been reading and how hard you guys are having finding one that fits and specially if i don't really need it out here if it's gone bad anyways. i guess that's why everybody like early cars over late models. i'll have to study more when i take the motor out this weekend to remove all the tar.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
thanks i was also looking into the cost too as i have been reading and how hard you guys are having finding one that fits and specially if i don't really need it out here if it's gone bad anyways. i guess that's why everybody like early cars over late models. i'll have to study more when i take the motor out this weekend to remove all the tar.

It is only the folks in California who have trouble finding one. There are many good ones that fit in 48 of the 50 states. California requires a special certification process.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: