Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear axle axial play and spacers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: rear axle axial play and spacers Reply with quote

As I am replacing brake pads and brake cylinders in the rear there is some axial play among the axles This causes me to wonder wear of the bearings in this '71 tin top Westy axle housing.
If not wear I'd like to pack the bearings as I do the CV joints currently.
Have difficulty getting the spider expander gear off the backplate. Even heat
is not budging the locating pin. Axial play is about 1/64th of inch but is sounds and looks dry.
Any comments I appreciate.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to get on the road now, check the torque of the rear axle nuts. Get them as tight as you can (safely) with the wheel off the ground. Final torque on the ground, then advance ONLY to next cotter hole. Check play then.

If you don't know the history of the bus, repacking is a great idea, especially if you have the time and four grease seals.

If you're unfamiliar with the process, feel free to ask questions and we'll help out as best we can. The rotating assembly should have no axial play.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spider expander gear

Is this a Brazilian bus with a reduction box? You say 1971 but they have a hub on the outside of the axle and a flange that is part of the axle on the inside, and not a spider gear. A spider gear is like what you find in a differential.

spider gear
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon rear axle but basically same parts as bay
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle axial play Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:

If not wear I'd like to pack the bearings as I do the CV joints currently.
Have difficulty getting the spider expander gear off the backplate. Even heat
is not budging the locating pin.

Really don't have a clue what you are talking about here. Pictures would be nice. To access the bearings you have to remove the CV joint and then remove the 46mm axle nut. You can then slowly tap the axle towards the centerline of the car using a soft drift or wooden block and a 2 to 4 pound hammer.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdaddy guess= "spider expander" means adjuster star. The forging they slide into is part of the backing plate and doesn't coe off without it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the 'spider gear'. indeed it's the adjusting star as bussdaddy guesed. So how is one to take the backing plate off?. That's because I want to clean and paint it. The brack cylinder is off and the bolts holding the two adjusting starts are out. I have also not been able to disconnect the E-brake cable housing from the backplate in the back of the plate. Maybe the whole cable has to be retracted to free the assembly. Alternatively I might gently hammer out the axle out of the bearing housing with rubber hammer, as wildthings suggests? Do that with the bearing housing connected to the spring plate for stability, I think. Still, not the workbench and hard to use a press if I need to replace actual bearings. I imagine they are original though the seals are Brazilian made! About pictures, I haven't figured out how to do that with regular dial up which is what I have here in the woods. So some play is Okay?
Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, with the 46 mm nut tied to 245 ftpbs there is this play along the centerline moving in and out. Not side to side as one might check with ball joints. It is clearly a play in the bearing assembly and it sounds dry. Asiab3 clarified, I re-read, there should be no play. So there's the job. Could the spacer be suspect? I kind off doubt it. That means pressing bearing races.
Thanks again.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:
To clarify, with the 46 mm nut tied to 245 ftpbs there is this play along the centerline moving in and out. Not side to side as one might check with ball joints. It is clearly a play in the bearing assembly and it sounds dry. Asiab3 clarified, I re-read, there should be no play. So there's the job. Could the spacer be suspect? I kind off doubt it. That means pressing bearing races.
Thanks again.

The early bays use two spacers, where the late bays use a spacer on the inside and a hub on the outside. Regardless, there should be NO movement between thrust surfaces. A good article about the stickup of parts is below, and the purple rotating thrust surfaces (around the halfway points in pictures) are what wears causing axial play.

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11737

If I was in your spot and a proper off-ground retorque didn't help, I would remove the CV and the axle nut, then drift the stub axle out with a hundred small taps of a nice heavy hammer on a 3/8" socket extension. Heavy hammer but small taps mean movement, but not enough to break anything. See if during this process the song of the hammer changes, this means you have fully seated the stub axle. (Large heavy blows have the capability of breaking things, I avoid them and opt for easy repetition.) Retorque nut and try again. We want to sandwich the stub axle, inner bearing inner race, inner spacer, outer bearing inner race, outer spacer, brake drum, and castle nut. There is no place in there for space, so if you STILL have some play, it might be time for new bearings.

Also check the inside thrust surface of your break drum for wear. Collin, the author of that procedure above, and wcfvw69 both have excellent pictures of drum thrust wear from running too long with axial play. I caught mine just in time and saved the drum thanks to their reporting of the problems and posts.

If your spacer show the thrust wear, I have a good used set I'd be willing to sell. BUT the drum is the softest metal, so it is designed to be "sacrificial" and wear out first before the other components.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11737

That was excellent, thanks for posting that! I need to do my rears this coming week, and this was helpful!
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much asiab3 especially on the delicacy of 'song' while hammering.
Indeed it gives me confidence to move forward. I have used measurement as an indicator of wear. But in Robert Bentley's I read nothing about actual length of the inner spacer. So will have to observe the two faces on each end for slight groves I imagine. One of the drums is German on the drives side, the other is Mexican. The CV axles are both off at this time. The driver side was a bear to get off as four of the bolts had damaged keys and seemed way too heavy torqued down relative to the other. Turns out the CV joints were nearly dry! On the pass, side the bolts came free with relative ease and the CV joint had been packed not that long ago. The driver side has a German drum, the pass. side a Mexican made. Many hands have worked on this bus in the past 44 years, all this is as much forensic as repair.
Thanks again for the comments, I'll keep you posted.

Bert
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have been overlooked by some that the OP has a '71, and therefore a drum hub and only one spacer sleeve. Axial play
should be limited to the natural play between inner/outer races of the inner ball bearing, which is next to nothing. Untoward axial play is
sometimes caused by circlip failure and inner bearing movement in the bearing housing.

Be aware that if you have the larger 46 mm OD spacer sleeves installed (as I do in my '71) then you will not
be able to disassemble the bearing housing without damaging one of the bearings (unless they just fall out, in which case you have other problems),
because the sleeve cannot be removed from the housing as the earlier/smaller ones could. These are the "new" sleeves mentioned in the diagram
posted above.

The dowel pin on the backing plate needs to be driven out forcefully (inward, to avoid bending the plate). They are sometimes quite difficult
to move.

I have a set of the old 42 mm OD spacer sleeves on hand, and their length iis 42.75 mm. Here's an interesting thread on the subject:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522454&start=0
CAUTION: clicking on the German link in that thread leads to a rather graphic page selling "sex toys"!

Last edited by kreemoweet on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:
On the pass, side the bolts came free with relative ease and the CV joint had been packed not that long ago.

Those four hard to remove bolts were probably the only ones that were torque sufficiently tight. All the rest were too loose. Crying or Very sad You don't want the bolts to be easy to get loose or they will come loose on their own and leave you sitting on the side of the road in the middle of the night or doing rush hour.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But in Robert Bentley's I read nothing about actual length of the inner spacer

there are two different sized inner spacers on late bays. If a newer late backing plate is purchased the inner spacer must be changed or the backing plate will rub. I also measured play here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546653&highlight=inner+spacer
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article asiab3 forwarded is indeed most informative; held it on my screen as reference as I dug into it today. I'll spare you the dirt work. I have only an inner circlip after taking out the seals. Both sides had german seals on the inside and brazilian on the outside. Someone greased up the bearings from outside in, I suspect. After taking out the outer inner race bearing I find a spacer ring that will not pass through the opening. Kreemoweet is right! I must have 46 mm spacers. The bearings are in adequate shape, for as much as I can see/inspect them in place. Further the outer bearing is one that retains the rollers with it's outer race.
Reading about the back plate relative to the spacer, I have no rubbing on the drum's inside but the inside seal is clearly deformed. as if pressure is applied to only part of the outward face facing inward towards the engine. Bot sides have the same symptom. So is there a difference in the back plate thickness. I have no way of knowing if I have an original '71 backplate. I have moved on trying to take the bake plate off as it is not deformed, just wanted to clean.....
I will go ahead and punch out both bearings on either side and start over with new bearings. The spacer is still suspect as to it's tube length.
Thanks for the comments and references. they will help identify the problem. I like the idea of stacking components to measure overall length
relative to housing.

Bert
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what I am finding: after taking the inner race out of the outer roller bearing I could wiggle the spacer such that I could tap the inner ball/thrust bearing out. It slid out! Apparently no actual press fit of the outer race with the bearing housing and the race shows slight evidence of rotation. It's a FAG 6207 Z.B. Germany.The bearing itself looks and feels very good, hardly any wiggle between inner and outer race. The spacer is of the later model 46.1 mm diameter and 42 9/20th mm long with no noticeable wear. The outer roller bearing is a tight fit in the housing but the inner race is rather sloppy though smooth. In all no damaged rollers or and metal found. Grease packing was good. As to initial question, of having axial play even when torqued down, I think that the movement of the outer inner bearing race relative to the bearing housing makes that possible. The circlip prevents that movement inward, towards the engine but there's nothing stopping it away from the engine. So is it the housing that's worn or the inner bearing? I read some have used locktight to 'freeze' the outer race to the housing as an alternative. That seems rather radical and a night mare getting it serviced in the future. And others that just live with the play.
Got to think about this. Thanks for the offer of early model spacers, I'll work with what I have.

Bert
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New inner bearings are not very expensive, you could see how some new ones fit in the housing. At any rate, movement of
the outer race in the housing seems like a bad thing that will only exacerbate itself, I would try to stop it by whatever means
I had.

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:

I read some have used locktight to 'freeze' the outer race to the housing as an alternative. That seems rather radical and a night mare getting it serviced in the future.

Bert, I promise you that it is no nightmare at all. Loctite is not all that it is cracked up to be in a grease laden environment with the forces and pressures being exerted upon the races of the bearing. Slather it on the exceptionally cleaned outer surface of the outer bearing and get it installed into the exceptionally cleaned bearing housing, pronto. When it comes time to remove the bearing race again, three hundred thousand miles down the road, guess what? You need a new bearing housing anyway (you need a new bearing housing today, in fact, if the bearing race is going in loosely).
Please note: you have the later, cheaper stamped "floating" outer race with no circlip for the outer bearing, it does not handle any lateral loads, so try to make it stay stationary in the bore and be done with it.
Colin
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Try stopping the rotating at any cost', thank you both to move forward. Rotation marks are clearly worn into the circlip. So, point well taken Colin,
if I can postpone getting a new bearing housing I will use Locktight blue on the inner bearing outer race 'bonding' it to the housing. I am going to leave the outer bearing in as it is tight and shows now real wear. This means I have to work through the opening provided when the inner race is pulled out of the roller or floater bearing. I think I can do that, packing the housing, inserting the spacer pushing in the inner bearing just so with the circlip. And then as the dickens from the outside through the outer bearing set the inner bearing against the clip with a few taps on the spacer.
Thank you all, I got a plan!

Bert
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress report, or lack there of! In a major breach of sequential thinking I figured I'd have to clean the excess locktight on the inside of the bearing housing keeping it as clean as I can muster. Doing such I installed the inner bearing, cleaned of the excess blue stuff and processed to fill the void only to then realize to my panic that I had failed to put the spacer in! It's a 46mm OD kind. Of course I could not have cleaned with it in and all of the grease pack. Try as I may but the bearing is now in there seated and not to be moved lest I slam damage it all to bits! That would be counter the idea that the bearing was much worth saving. So...... I fucked up. Only remedy now appears to be to change to a 42 outer diameter 42.75mm long spacer. Or turn the spacer I have to fit past the rollers of the outer bearing. Kreemoweet, is your offer still standing? I'll buy them from you and move on! But there is a lesson here. These two inner bearings are now in for life the way I experience it, though they may possibly be pressed out with a press. With luck they last a long time and with the 42 OD spacer I may have to tend to grease jobs more frequent to make it all last. Humble pie.

Bert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: