Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

deck question height
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keone71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: deck question height Reply with quote

my question is if it is ok to be less than .040 on deck height,and does it depend on what cam you use so piston wont strike the valves?say a fk-43 with 1.4 rockers?my deck height measures .034
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check piston to valve clearance with playdoh. .034 is cutting close for me. I wont go less than .040, but that's just a personal opinion. Others have gone down to where youre at. Better ensure your stuff is balanced.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starts to get close below .030" the main thing is to check it with the dough, modeling clay or whatever. Check the valves too but they won't even be close unless your running a lot of lift.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not usually piston-valve clearance that is a problem with too little deck, as the engine ages wear and carbon buildup conspire to bring the head and piston into contact. Tighter decks are more common with racers who rebuild their engines a lot more often than most of us, in fact in top fuel the engines actually run a negative number! The ridiculously high compression and combustion pressure compresses and stretches things enough that they don't hit.

If your parts and engine building precision are high enough .034 is probably just enough - What compression are you chasing that needs it that tight?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.040" is considered the safe minimum. You can hold your breath and take your chances with less. There is also nothing wrong with having .060-.070" deck height. It is just pure Internet bullshit that you have to run exactly .040" deck height. I've seen engines with over .0100" decks run and last many years.
keone71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
It's not usually piston-valve clearance that is a problem with too little deck, as the engine ages wear and carbon buildup conspire to bring the head and piston into contact. Tighter decks are more common with racers who rebuild their engines a lot more often than most of us, in fact in top fuel the engines actually run a negative number! The ridiculously high compression and combustion pressure compresses and stretches things enough that they don't hit.

If your parts and engine building precision are high enough .034 is probably just enough - What compression are you chasing that needs it that tight?
im going 9.7-10 cr.i had long barrels and my measurements that i gave to jack werent correct.so they are just below what i wanted.i might just get new barrels.i dont know.im pissed though
keone71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Check piston to valve clearance with playdoh. .034 is cutting close for me. I wont go less than .040, but that's just a personal opinion. Others have gone down to where youre at. Better ensure your stuff is balanced.
wuts up hawaiian.i was born queens hospital......lau laus and shoyu poki forever
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick 10 thou spacers under the cylinders and sleep soundly at night.

While 40 thou' isn't complete bullshit it's a guideline, not a rule or maximum. It comes from a study where around 1mm was found to be a point where no engine gained any further benefit from squish or quench, tempered with the fact that I mentioned earlier, where wear, stretch and carbon can combine to cause a situation that will actually cause detonation.

Actually, I've been around a bit longer and I'd fit 20 thou' spacers for a bit of a buffer against needing to find extra-high octane fuel. You'd be surprised how little difference those couple of points make in real-world performance, or how easily you can damage things if you are forced to fill with a lower octane fuel.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those cnc ported heads come with such big chambers it tempts one to skimp on the deck height to get compression up. CIP1 sells its cnc heads with 69 cc chambers. Obviously not a good idea for getting acceptable compression.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to check the chamber volume in the heads.

Most guys will tell you that you need to match the CR to the cam, and unless you know the chamber volume you don't know the CR. You have a little flexibility of DH and chamber volume. Once you know your chamber volume, we can help you with the best solution to finally buttoning the engine up.

It may include some cylinder shims.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to first check and set deck height, then order heads with appropriate cc's.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to do my calculations with .055" deck, that way I can adjust a little either way if I need to.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is .034"
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
mine is .034"

There you go mark !! that's the way to trust your build !!
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keone71 wrote:
jfats808 wrote:
wuts up hawaiian.i was born queens hospital......lau laus and shoyu poki forever

Did my time in the states for active duty... but you know what, cant beat the homeland.
Todays lunch. Bowl wieghs 2 lbs! Owwww!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I secind quokas suggestion, throw in a .010 or find an empi .020 barrel shim that measures .017-.018.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

keone71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
keone71 wrote:
jfats808 wrote:

Did my time in the states for active duty... but you know what, cant beat the homeland.
Todays lunch. Bowl wieghs 2 lbs! Owwww!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
the only thing missing is a big bowl of saimin,lol

I secind quokas suggestion, throw in a .010 or find an empi .020 barrel shim that measures .017-.018.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they know the difference between sashimi and sushi in Hawaii - I hope you have wasabi with that?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, some like wasabi. I like chili pepper water myself. I gotta eat raw fish in some form at least once a week....

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: