Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on starting point with 73 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
On a genuine Weber progressive like mine, there is a ported vacum spigot next to the idle mixture screw. That works for vacum advance with an SVDA distributor.

All the ones I've encountered (genuine and not) suck way too hard at idle to work with a stock VW SVDA, they usually add ~10* to the base idle.

Plug looks OK Frogman, possibly a little rich but as WT's says hard to call with modern gasoline. A meter in the tailpipe is the only sure way to jet a carb for all different loads and conditions.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on my cooling system, tin, thermostat, etc and I pulled the thermostat off (it looked like it was expanded) cleaned it up and did a water test just squeezing it to see if there were any bubbles, I cannot see any bubbles. I cannot find any obvious cracks or holes either.

Here is a pic of it (I have read Ratwell and repair stuff) should it be more compressed? I am going to do the stove test tonight either way I would like an expert opinion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junk.
Take the bolt & washer off (its specific for that application), the nut and cable off, recycle the t-stat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2, nothing you can do with that.

Wasn't there someone rebuilding them that required the ends?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratwell has a repair process I can try.

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
X2, nothing you can do with that.

Wasn't there someone rebuilding them that required the ends?

I am pretty sure there is or at least was someone doing this. I would suggest a search of the classifieds.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any substantial progress to report other than my attempt at repairing my thermostat was not successful, I have put all my tin back on regardless of that and have been working on air leaks. Things that have changed.

#1 Since replacing the air hoses (correct quality) to my brake servo and blowing evrything out before installing new air hose lines, my brakes now feel much different, they feel correct instead of being very hard at the pedal they are much softer and stop very well.

#2 After replacing the intake boots on the intake runners it seems I have less air intake leaks BUT they are still there slightly which baffles me. Spraying directly on the head side of the boots I still have slight rpm changes(Maybe some ove the carb spray is hitting the carb to intake manifold, the carb is new as well as the gasket (EMPI carb and gasket) the carb is tight, I will continue looking into this. I have considered using a thin coat of gasket (form a gasket) sealer on the insides of the boots, not sure if this is a safe strategy?

#3 Nothing to say technically here other than having half of the income I had a couple years ago has caused me to learn more before I just dump money into things. The progressive carb on a type 4 without having preheat is something I now understand fully, and why this is a problem.

#4 If I had even thought I may have a bus again I would have hung on to my Del DRLA 36's and installed them! Finding busses around here is not the norm, I just happened to know a guy that called me a while back and asked me to buy it...It took me another 8 months to be able to fork over $1300.00, I got it for chaep and there is no rust on it other than a small portion under the battery! It will run with the carb setup until I can get back to a dual setup.

#5 I have read and learned and it has been somewhat of a blessing to not be able to just buy things and try them, it is part of the incredible learning experience.

So I am done with the update but I have a qustion about the best flap position for the cooling flaps on the 1.8 type 4 engine... Without a thermostat right now I am guessing thst it would be optimal to have them in the position they would be in after warm up and if that is simply where they are naturally without a thermostat ?

I hope I am not saying to much to get to a small point but this is how my brain processes things. If I use my thumb and push the actuater forward to the front of the bus does that open cylinder 1 side or the other side?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig up a way to get preheated air to you carb and that will take care of most of the cold running problems and also disable the power valve and increase your primary main jet a size or two as I recommend in the Progressives Suck thread. These carb can be made to run well enough.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings, I found a blog regarding this. The only thing that puzzles me is that the intake air is heated from a part of the engine so is this the same result as heating an intake tube?

As always thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealfrogman wrote:
Wildthings, I found a blog regarding this. The only thing that puzzles me is that the intake air is heated from a part of the engine so is this the same result as heating an intake tube?

As always thank you for sharing your knowledge.

The stock system sucks in waste cooling air after it has been over the cylinders. The cylinders heat pretty fast so within a minute or so of start up the air coming over the cylinders will be noticeably above ambient and within another couple of minutes it will be quite hot.

I have both the stock intake air preheat stove and an exhaust heated manifold on my 1800 with a progressive, the combination works quite well down to 10°F or so.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really trying to understand where and how to tap into the heat from #1 but I was just baffled, the guy that put my head on left this piece of tin in a box with the tin I removed.... I found it a and it makes sense now, I feel pretty stupid after reading as many posts as I have and asking as many questions here and other sites as I have!

Dumbfounded or found dumb. Who knows? I have enough understanding now to approach this issue and make things better. I am a newby with T4 but saturation is on the horizon. Glad you all are here!

therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might as well be in the SQT but here it is.... There is a short piece of hose coming from near where the engine and tranny meet, the hose is just hanging there Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also have a leak but I do not think this hose is related to it. I cannot stay under the bus very long due to a bad back so I snapped a quick pic of it here I am. The left bottom corner of the pic where the end is so I would like to know its function and where it goes.

Thanks

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a drain for when the fuel pump diaphragm ruptures, it sticks into a hole in the front of the sled tin.

Слава Україні!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy, is that thing the stock fuel pump? Can I remove it?

therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to buy shocks for front and rear and my thoughts are "Will I regret buying Monroe shocks that match the stock numbers? I can KYB for almost 3 times the price, it drives like a boat right now! I am only concerned with getting it to original drivability, etc.

If there is any reason for me not to buy the lower price Monroe or if anyone has an option that would be better for a little more I would appreciate it.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549967&highlight=monroe

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206625&highlight=koni

The KYB gas adjust are working fine for me.
Tcash
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a set of KYB shocks and should be getting them mid week, at the same time I will be tearing into the brakes and getting that stuff done.

I will update soon. Very happy with the progress! I do not post everything that I have done but the bus is very comfortable and quiet when driving, it is getting safe to drive.

Thanks for all the help you have given me and all the links.

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress, for what it's worth, I found a NOS bus type 4 thermostat on ebay for less than $40 shipped. Well worth it.

Comin' right along!!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Thermostat a few weeks ago and all is well (around $65 bucks) but I do need to mount my heater fan assembly... I got one that runs smooth but the seller could not provide me with bracket to mount it to the top of the EC.

Anyone have a picture of it? I could make one or do a MacGyver thing but I would like to do it as nicely as I can (and of course if you have one FS PM me)

Having fun with this project and life overall Very Happy

therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a 73 and I want to replace some steering column parts. It seems like the 1973 is unlike the 72 or 74, like the key position for instance. The bus was stolen before I bought it and steering column moves around and is missing some bushings, bearings or who knows?

I can drive it but the blinker/headlight switch cannot be tightened any more, something is missing. (I do have the U shaped inserts, there is a bushing or something missing) I have been looking through the classifieds and can only find 72 or 74 and later columns. Can I scavenge parts off other years to make this complete by any chance? The left arm on my column is for the blinker and the right one is for the headlight dimmer and windshield washer control.

Would a 74 or later assembly ( just the levers and clamp that holds them) work?

No big hurry on that (just finished installing shocks moving on to Brakes (and curtains)) Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have searched, but I have had no luck to this point. I really appreciate the time you guys spend helping as always, thank you ahead of time.

Bob

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: