Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock engine deck height/ stock head cc's
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchn13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: stock engine deck height/ stock head cc's Reply with quote

about to pull a freshly rebuilt 1600 i got with a '69 bug i bought, and build a spirited 1600 with it since i have most of the parts. also going to start a stroker with a new case etc.. after i get this '69 rolling.
just wondering since i don't have any gauges yet, what the stock deck height and head cc's are..? planning my target compression and machine work for the heads.

steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: stock engine deck height/ stock head cc's Reply with quote

They are what they are, you'll know when you measure them.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.065 give or take a few, searched for it last night
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle
mchn13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g3bill wrote:
.065 give or take a few, searched for it last night

thanks man
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find my Berg tech sheets but; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334830&view=previous
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking what stock spec was? There were many configurations of the 1600 twin port. I believe there was as low as a 6.9:1 compression ratio for certain models.

If you're going to do a cam swap, it's a waste to return the compression back to whatever worked for the stock cam. Wilder cams require more compression to work properly.
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Are you asking what stock spec was? There were many configurations of the 1600 twin port. I believe there was as low as a 6.9:1 compression ratio for certain models.

If you're going to do a cam swap, it's a waste to return the compression back to whatever worked for the stock cam. Wilder cams require more compression to work properly.

Have you read this , esp near bottom. think thats the van he took me for a ride in, WOW what power for a vw van!
http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=155
mchn13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Yeah just wondering what stock cc's were or compression. Going to build a mouse motor till i get a stroker built:. I have two fresh-ish 1600's, and want
To buid one for the summer til i can get my stroker built on the standard case..
Going to build a bastard 1600 loosely based on specs ive seen here:
1600cc
Pp stock heads/single hd springs
163 web cAm
9.5:1 comp
8 dowelled crank/flywheel
1 3/8 merged
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, about .060 deck and the head CC was, ah, 52?? I think, for 311 heads, 7.5-1
Stepped (smog) heads dropped it to 7.1-1
the step is .060 deep and the remainder is about 47cc

They had a bit more deck with the paper gaskets under the cylinders, but replacement pistons are usually a bit shorter as a general rule, which evens that out.
Rod length was not closely controlled either, so the deck can be .050-.070 depending on what combo of parts.

As for what stock years came with what heads that had this or that cc and what models had dished pistons well sorry I can't remember all that.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original engine from my '72 beetle had steps in the chambers and dished pistons. I never measured it, but the compression must have been stupid low... I had Tims rework the original heads, bore it for 88's, cut out the steps, .048" ish deck and I was at 8.6:1.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the issue is the people have been swapping parts for over 40 years. It's not a common situation for the car to have what it did when it rolled off the lot. That's why I said it has what it has, you have to check it.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mchn13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the issue is the people have been swapping parts for over 40 years. It's not a common situation for the car to have what it did when it rolled off the lot. That's why I said it has what it has, you have to check it.

True. I am going to check them as soon as i tear into it. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: