Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 CA edition distributor swap.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: 1979 CA edition distributor swap. Reply with quote

Okay heres the deal. I have a 1979 T2 with California engine. Which you should know has the hall effect dizzy and a matching coil for that diz. Since that distributor is almost immpossible to find parts for or a replacement I've purchased this distributor along with the matching blue coil 12v.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Pertronix-Brand-SVDA-Distributor-12-Volt-Version-p/d186504.htm

Now you would assume someone has done this before and gotten it to work. Someone has had to do it, but no one has chronicled it here or on any other site to my knowledge.

Does anyone know how i can correctly and safely do this dizzy swap. Like step by step if possible cause I'm simple and I like simple instructions. Like what wire goes where from my new distributor? What wires from the old ICM get used or can i cut them and pretend they were never there.

As the bus sits now all the wires are still there in their orignal places and lenghts. The bus does not run with the current stock setup.

Any help or knowledge on this would be very much appreciated. And for future reference if I get this to work I will photograph everything and hopefully make a DYI for other people to use so they don't end up like me, lost and confused.

Thank you
Sampson
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk with AirCooledChris.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38055
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Talk with AirCooledChris.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38055

Thanks, I'll shoot him a pm.

also I should note that this is a 2.0l EFI engine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 CA edition distributor swap. Reply with quote

LarLar wrote:
Okay heres the deal. I have a 1979 T2 with California engine. Which you should know has the hall effect dizzy and a matching coil for that diz. Since that distributor is almost immpossible to find parts for or a replacement I've purchased this distributor along with the matching blue coil 12v.

There are a lot of aircooled Vanagons out there as well as the 83-85 WBXer Vanagons that run similar distributors, I suspect the entire ignition system and or just parts of it are interchangeable with a bit of effort.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First WELCOME.
Basically, I believe you may have some options, especially if you aren't req'd to pass emissions testing. A distributor for a 2liter bus engine, such as 76 and later, plus a matching coil should suffice. This would be a traditional points/condenser ignition system. This system could be upgraded to aftermarket stuff with the points replacement module and coil. I have always wondered if any of the water-cooled distrib internals with the coil would be transferable to your application.
Bill.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 CA edition distributor swap. Reply with quote

LarLar wrote:
Now you would assume someone has done this before and gotten it to work. Someone has had to do it, but no one has chronicled it here or on any other site to my knowledge.

Nope, don't know anywhere I could find that information.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513350&highlight=california+distributor
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 CA edition distributor swap. Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
LarLar wrote:

Nope, don't know anywhere I could find that information.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513350&highlight=california+distributor

Yea read that thread multiple times before I posted this one. There is never a clarification of what wires he put where. Only a two sentence description in the OP of what the orignal wires on the harness are and where they go on the stock system. Its really not that helpful of a thread besides the wire diagram. Unless Im completely missing something.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Yes, I also read that read. He did not include a photographic step by step guide to his minor wiring change, but a good wiring diagram was included. Anyway, he corrected his problem with a different AFM and filling up the gas tank.

Anytime you modify a wiring harness you are asking for trouble unless you have a very clear understanding of the wiring beforehand. That is only arrived at by your personal investment of time. Not trying to sound like a condescending asshole, but I would really encourage you to not do anything but put a stock replacement distributor back in there.

RockAuto has three separate entries for this distributor, and I did not look at any other vendor. I have found RockAuto to be fair enough to deal with. Wildthings brings up an excellent point in that the early air cooled Vanagons would likely have the same dizzy, or something very close. Unsure why you feel these are impossible to find, but please note that I simply checked by model year, not by distributor P/N, so maybe you are searching a different way than I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing to it. With your federal distributor out and on the bench, replace the points and gap them correctly.

Then swap your coil in the bus, Wire the same way you would if it were a Federal bus then with the condenser going to the coil. The harness going from the firewall over to the CA distributor can be disconnected and set aside.

I don't think anyone has documented anything for it because once you swap the coil, then you put in the distributor and connect it like every other bus out on the road. There are no special considerations once the CA coil and Dist are taken out.

Oh - except you need to cap one of the two vacuum lines now though. There's one on each side of the throttle body and you'll only be using one for your Federal distributor.
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
^^Yes, I also read that read. He did not include a photographic step by step guide to his minor wiring change, but a good wiring diagram was included. Anyway, he corrected his problem with a different AFM and filling up the gas tank.

Anytime you modify a wiring harness you are asking for trouble unless you have a very clear understanding of the wiring beforehand. That is only arrived at by your personal investment of time. Not trying to sound like a condescending asshole, but I would really encourage you to not do anything but put a stock replacement distributor back in there.

RockAuto has three separate entries for this distributor, and I did not look at any other vendor. I have found RockAuto to be fair enough to deal with. Wildthings brings up an excellent point in that the early air cooled Vanagons would likely have the same dizzy, or something very close. Unsure why you feel these are impossible to find, but please note that I simply checked by model year, not by distributor P/N, so maybe you are searching a different way than I did.

I've searched for these distributors before and had no luck. You may be getting results at rockauto because their search engine doesn't differentiate from CA or Federal models. So you may be getting results for only the Federal edition since no parts #s were verified.

I did think about the early vanagon dizzys but I already purchased the Federal distributor before I looked into this option.

airkooledchris wrote:
There's nothing to it. With your federal distributor out and on the bench, replace the points and gap them correctly.

Then swap your coil in the bus, Wire the same way you would if it were a Federal bus then with the condenser going to the coil. The harness going from the firewall over to the CA distributor can be disconnected and set aside.

I don't think anyone has documented anything for it because once you swap the coil, then you put in the distributor and connect it like every other bus out on the road. There are no special considerations once the CA coil and Dist are taken out.

Oh - except you need to cap one of the two vacuum lines now though. There's one on each side of the throttle body and you'll only be using one for your Federal distributor.

Thank you! This is useful information. Between this and the other aforementioned thread I should be able to figure this out.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the third line of the RockAuto:

A-1 CARDONE Part # 31920 with California Emissions {#0237022009, 0237022025, 0237022045} Reman. Distributor (Electronic) - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order. $143.79

Not saying they actually rebuild it correctly, that it will work, or whatever. And yeah, you have to send them yours, which is not the same as just buying one outright. Anyway, I hope you are able to get your bus running right!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still Can't get it to start. Installed new dizzy and coil, wired it up the best I could from the information I've recieved and still no spark. I'm stumped.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a picture of your setup would be a good idea.
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so here are some pictures that may help.
this first one is 5 of 6 wires that come from the ICM.
1 green (to coil i think) 1 brown (ground) and the other three, brown/white, red and green/white go the distributor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this black wire is the 6th and goes from here, the ICM harness we'll call it, to...

This is where the black wire ends up.

And last the green wire is connected to this white wire on a double connecter plug that plugs into the distributor. The white wire comes from the main harness off of the ECU

All of this wiring has not been tampered by me. As far as I know it is all stock for the CA edition.

So which of these wires do I use? Which can I not use and once its running discard?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be another black wire somewhere that feeds power to the coil, it is the same circuit as the one that goes to the double relay.
LarLar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
There should be another black wire somewhere that feeds power to the coil, it is the same circuit as the one that goes to the double relay.

Well its too dark now to work on so I have to wait until tomorrow. I'll search around in there and see if thast black wire is buried somewhere, I hope it hasn't been snipped. Once I locate it What wires should go the Ign. coil?
the green and white ones that orignally went there and the black one thats missing from my pictures?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to black wire to the #15 (+) terminal and then on the #1 (-) terminal the green wire for the points and the white wire for the FI.

Edit:

Sorry, I was thinking you had a points distributor here. Busdaddy's description is correct for the Pertronix.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark70baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this with Pertronix. Don't know if you have fuel injection or not, but I'm assuming you do. Please call them and speak with them about your situation. They are very helpful.

I was trying to go the Pertronix route. They informed me that the claims that the distributors that are being sold as "working for the type-4 fuel injected engines" are incorrect. They do not manufacture a distributor for this motor. The distributors being made are only for type-1 engines, even though they slide right in place in the type-4.

Problem is that the internal workings are all geared for the type-1. "ALL" of the timing settings, springs, etc... are incorrect. One may be able to get it to work, but it will not work as it's supposed to for the type-4, unless one dumps the Fuel Injection for Carb(s). They, the manufacture advise that their own Pertronix module will not interface with the fuel injection/computer system. These words came from the manufacture of the product, so I kind of want to believe them.

Please give them a call first.

82 Vanagon with ASI Full Camper Conversion, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark70baja wrote:
I just went through this with Pertronix. Don't know if you have fuel injection or not, but I'm assuming you do. Please call them and speak with them about your situation. They are very helpful.

I was trying to go the Pertronix route. They informed me that the claims that the distributors that are being sold as "working for the type-4 fuel injected engines" are incorrect. They do not manufacture a distributor for this motor. The distributors being made are only for type-1 engines, even though they slide right in place in the type-4.

Problem is that the internal workings are all geared for the type-1. "ALL" of the timing settings, springs, etc... are incorrect. One may be able to get it to work, but it will not work as it's supposed to for the type-4, unless one dumps the Fuel Injection for Carb(s). They, the manufacture advise that their own Pertronix module will not interface with the fuel injection/computer system. These words came from the manufacture of the product, so I kind of want to believe them.

Please give them a call first.

What axe do you have to grind here? There are thousands of FI Type 4 engines out there (and a whole lot of other D-jet, L-jet, other other FI systems), running very well with Pertronix modules and some with Pertronix replacement distributors. As I have posted for you before the timing for a Type 1 dizzy is essentially the same as for a Type 4, and all the ignition (points or electronic) needs to do is tell the CPU the rpm the engine is turning, nothing more.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark70baja wrote:
.....Problem is that the internal workings are all geared for the type-1. "ALL" of the timing settings, springs, etc... are incorrect. One may be able to get it to work, but it will not work as it's supposed to........

I've got some news you may just find a little shocking.........., those units they say work with type 1's arent even optimised for those engines, it's a one size fits all saw off that's a slight improvement over the shitty worn out maladjusted unit that was previously in there. Most of thier customes likely see an improvement when they install it and don't know any better. It's also the go to choice for shops that are too lazy or stupid to set points properly and want that smelly hippie van out of thier shop right now (usually combined with a Weber progressive kit).

As you disovered in your own thread you will not find an aftermarket electronic ignition system that performs to your specific expectations, the hall effect California system is the closest you'll get.

Hmm.... could have installed, gapped, set the dwell and timed another set of points in the time it took to type this Razz

As for the OP the wires you need are that black one in the grey harness and the white one that was connected to the green wire, the rest are for the hall effect unit and redundant with aftermarket PEI (Pertronix, etc..). Black to coil + (#15) and white to coil - (#1), the red wire from the PEI goes on #15 (where the black wire from the harness is) and the black wire from the PEI on #1.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: