Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 412 Air tunnel
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1973 412 WAGON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: 1973 412 Air tunnel Reply with quote

Ray do you have to remove the air tunnel to tighten the alternator belt? And is the air tunnel the cover over the pulleys? Basically the rear cover of the motor?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the "air tunnel" do you mean the large plastic mouth on the sedans or the air cooling manifold?

To tighten the fan belt you pop off the small plastic oval cover above the alternator pulley in the sheet metal. There is an 8mm allen bolt under it. Actually it whould be an 8mm triple square, splined tool just like CV bolts....but some I have found have allen screws.
Loosen the bolt. Put a ratchet with socket on the nut on the alternator pully. With one hand push the alternator pully to the right.
When the belt gets slightly tight the belt will quit slipping and puting more force on the ratchet while turning right...clockwise...will move the clamping bolt in the sliding slot...making the belt tighter. When you get it where you need to.......hold it with one hand while using another, ratchet to lock the bolt. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973 412 WAGON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: 1973 412 Air tunnel Reply with quote

Ray,
I got it. Was reading from the book (VW for dummies) And it said to remove air tunnel. I was adjusting my valves and the belt was too loose to spin the motor. I got it all worked out. I am just waiting on another front caliper the one I got yesterday leaks. (Reman). Then I should be able to test drive her.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful with that book. Its fun to read but its the last book I would use for serious work on a type 4. Glad you got it worked out! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973 412 WAGON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: 1973 412 Air tunnel Reply with quote

Ray,
I will always ask you first, Nothing beats hands on knowledge
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not many great books on the type 4 but I would pick up a Haynes and the clymer manual on Amazon. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: