Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leo's 1968 Squareback build.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I figure with how supportive she has been with my square build I at least I owe her a car to drive to meets so notch will be nest in line. I just told her I expect more garage time out of her when we ar working on the notch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 notch running driving. The best driving tye three I have ever owned.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Islandtime, Glad you like the square. this is awesome site to be on during a resto everyone is so nice and willing to help with questions. Good luck with your square.
I actually took the carpet I got from TMI to a local shop and had them do the motor bay cut out. if you call TMI they might do it for you but not sure
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

I have to agree with all the comments here Leo, your square is one awesome car. Nicely done and I'm sure the cruise with the Mrs. was a great experience. The Notch will be cake right?? Laughing
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks Mont, Not to sure about cake but I have leaned a tone of new skills with the square in preparation for the notch. The notch will need some serious metal work compared to the square and that's one skill I have no experience in. I'm sure I will get threw it though.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Tram so I have the yellow ones.

Are the ones u posted in the link the ones I need? If so I will order them now.
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Islandtime, Glad you like the square. this is awesome site to be on during a resto everyone is so nice and willing to help with questions. Good luck with your square.
I actually took the carpet I got from TMI to a local shop and had them do the motor bay cut out. if you call TMI they might do it for you but not sure

Thanks!
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Well, I thought I would reach my goal and have my car at the Painters BBQ this coming weekend. The car its self is finished enough to attend this event....

BUT the wife and my buddy Shaun where out on a test drive when it developed a head leak on the 3-4 side of the motor. My buddy Shaun and I pulled it in the garage and pulled the rockers and tried to tighten the 4 head bolts you can get to and 2 of the 4 on both sides of the motor where just spinning. Confused We all know what that means.
Sad Twisted Evil
A decision was made and in the following min this is what happen in my garage.

Old motor pulled and striped.

Tins getting prepped and painted

New motor getting removed from its shrink wrapd tumb.

The only thing that stoped me from getting it back together this weekend was this full flow set up.

So in researching I have noticed people just attaching a external oil filter to this (am I correct in assuming that the oil filter is all I will need) if so today I will be headed to Painters grinding at my lunch hr to go pick up hopefully everything I will need for this external oil filter set up and continue putting my new motor together. If everything goes right I will still make the BBQ. Nothing like adding some DRAMA a week before the BBQ!!!!!
RAIDER SS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
"so the notch will be next in line"

Leo - are you sure you want to do the notch next?
I vote for the bus next Rolling Eyes

LOL - hey; your square looks awesome, and I'm sure you will give the notch the same kinda treatment and respect you put into your square.
Nice Job Leo!
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks SS. I figured I would get more grief when I started that but you are the first. Laughing the bus is getting a 2.5 sub conversion (the white wagon in some of my square picks is going to be the transplant vehickle) this will give me more time to gather what's needed plus give me more research time. The notch will get the love it deserves. The rest is easy. Drive train is rock solid all that will be needed on the notch is to make it presentable. New paint rubber and interior and it will be done.
Thanks for the kind words on the square. Im loving the way its turning out couldent be happier. Now that it is reaching the finish line I'm ready to move on to notch.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

After spending time in the DIY full flow thred this is what I came up with. A series of 45 and 90.

Not to sure I like this set up as there are to many points of connections and potential leaks.
The painters BBQ has been postponed so I have more time to get this right. Today I will go to on track performance and see what they can come up with in AN connectors and braided line.
One thing I did take from the full flow DIY is that there are not to many places to mount the oil filter. I liked how some where using the motor hanger on the IRS cars but my car being a swing axle my best choice was to use the bumper mount as most do. I didn't like this choice much as I would have to disconnect the filter every time I wanted to remove the motor. I decided to find a latter motor mount (IRS motor hanger) and modify it to be used to support my oil filter so now the filter will come out in whole. ( =

Stay tuned as I plan on installing and firing up the new motor this weekend.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

We took my remote filter BS off & went back to stock, when we rebuilt my engine. Idea Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

You know Mike when I first pulled it out of its shrink wrapped tomb and noticed that the case had been drilled and tapped for full flow my first reaction was to plug up the holes and be done. But I figured it was already done and I might as well use it.

I picked up the an connectors on my lunch break. Much happier with them verses 4 and 5 brass fittings. with any luck the new motor will be up and running this weekend. ( =
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Nice going Leo. Just when you think you're done you find a new way to keep working on it. Laughing But seriously, nice fix. Look at what John J. did for hanging the filter off the engine (sounds like that's what you're wanting to do). I know John's set up works very well, as I've cruised long distances with him before.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I do want it to come out with the motor. My plan is moving FWD. Spent all day in the garage. This is where I got.I will finish with the rest of the assemble today.
XE

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Fired up the new motor this weekend. Never had a motor that was balanced. this things runs so smooth. Due to the 3 feet of snow we got over the weekend I was not able to test drive but am very excited to take her out on a test drive.
There is a notch under there some where!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Fired up the new motor this weekend. Never had a motor that was balanced. this things runs so smooth. Due to the 3 feet of snow we got over the weekend I was not able to test drive but am very excited to take her out on a test drive.
There is a notch under there some where!

Glad we didn't get any of that up here. We got some of the outskirts of that storm bit it was gone at the end of the day. Keep at that motor Leo!!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

The snow is gone now. Very Happy sorry no updates the car went untouched this weekend. It was Ellens B-day so we spent the weekend up in grand Lake. We will see if I get home with enough time to play with the square today.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Well, with all the snow we have been getting in Colorado! The past three weekends have been uneventful for the square. Sad I do have the new motor in and it fires right up just haven't broke it in yet. Was planning on doing that this weekend but my $12.95 harbor freight timing light decided to poop out on me Evil or Very Mad . I orderd a new one on line should be here by Wednesday.we With break in of the new motor out of the question I decided to work on completing my doors. I started with the driver's door as I knew I had to disassemble all my hard work. Some how when I put that door togethere I overlooked installing the clip that keeps your wing window from floping in the wind. Did not think I would be disassembling this part of the car so soon but it was actually verry easy and went back togethere without incident.
First thing was to seal the door with plastic sheeting as not to let the moister in

After that
Door panel, window crank, and opener.

After that I decided to tackle the outer door seal. No fun at all but came out verry nice and seal well too.

Both doors are now 100 percent complete.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Have a few more picks I up loaded of the motor and just picks I took in the garage this weekend. Hope you enjoy. I have 2 weeks for the keys on the green show at Clement park. I should be ready. Cool I forgot to mention. My doors feel brand new. Seal nice and tight and have no rattle's. Verry pleased.

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

More picks from the weekend.

Sorry board at work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: