Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flasher/Indicator Problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Flasher/Indicator Problem Reply with quote

I am restoring my 1975 Thing/Trekker and working on the wiring. When I hooked up the battery the indicators were working but then stopped and there was a burning smell from the dashboard. I have attached a couple of pics showing what looks like the problem area but I have no idea what it is and the other pic showing a grey coloured box, this is where the damaged bit lives.

Can anyone tell me what this is and does it have anything to do with the indicators.

Thanks
Don
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no idea what that first picture is, but if this were a spy movie, I would think I was being bugged!

On the second picture, is that the hazard switch that pokes through the dashboard or is it hidden behind the panel?

There should be a flasher relay that is mounted to the firewall behind the dash, usually on the left side of the steering wheel. Then there is a hazard switch that comes through the dash panel. You can view the whole wiring diagram up under the technical section, wiring. That will show you how it should be.

jay
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Yes, it is a weird looking thing, the centre part appears to be glass. I cannot see the flasher unit and I'm thinking that this weird thing is some sort of home made flasher relay. The whole thing was inside the grey plastic box, which is only sitting on the inside of the dashboard lid for the photo. The switch behind the box is the headlight switch.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I just noticed where you were... I'm betting this a right hand drive vehicle Very Happy. So all of my references are opposite of what you are seeing.

My first thought is that was some type of resistor, but not sure why it would be there.

I think I would start with the wiring diagrams and figure out what you have and what you are missing and try to take it back to original and get that other stuff out of there. If the light switch and emergency flashers are stock, you should be able to wire it back to stock pretty straight forward and it will make trouble shooting the rest of environment much more straight forward.

jay
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jay, Yes right hand drive.

I will spend some time tomorrow checking out the wiring.

Thanks for you help

Don
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jay... looks like a resistor of some type... although it may be a home made relay.

If you can find your relay, check the voltages going to it and out... I found my high beam relay was not getting enough juice to actually switch. I cleaned the contacts on the fuse box and what a huge difference it made in my electrical system.

Keep us up to date...

-R
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a reed switch. I am guessing the wire wrapped around the glass becomes a magnet when energized and closes the "reed" contacts inside the glass. Search the webs for reed switch.
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that. I believe you have it spot on. I have never heard of a Reed switch and I don't know if this is standard VW equipment.

This may be why my indicator light on the speedo just stays on all the time when the ignition is on, and of course the indicators have stopped working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: