Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How responsible do you feel after you sell a car?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

how responsible do you feel after you sell a car?
very
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
kinda
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
not at all
65%
 65%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 38

germanstyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: How responsible do you feel after you sell a car? Reply with quote

I recently sold a car that'd I had owned about 8 months. A buddy of mine had owned it about 2 years and I did the majority of the work to it while he owned it. For me it had always been a reliable car. Within hours of selling it the new owner had problems starting it and I'm unsure why. I genuinely feel bad and I want to help. I'm just curious what other people thought and how they responded to similar situations.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not your car anymore - end of responsibility. The new owner could be doing something stupid. If he wants to pay you to figure it out, that's a different story. But you got rid of it for a reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not misreprenting anything and full disclosure of known flaws along with a bill of sale stating as is where is no warrentee or guarantee stated or implied permits me to not really care one bit.
Of course the scrap yard doesn't really care.....
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you were honest with the buyer it's on them. they are old cars and stuff happens. some people shouldn't own vehicles let alone older ones.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I sold a fuel injected super beetle for $300, after two weeks the buyer called and said it quit running. The garage he took it to told him "the block was cracked" and gas was getting into the oil. They priced him a new motor. I would have been glad to help him, or even buy it back, but he didn't want help . He just wanted to yell at me for "cheating a college kid". I suspect it just had a stuck injector or something, I couldn't think of any other way for gas to get in an injected ACVW. He was so belligerent I just said ok you told me and hung up. Anything can happen, but you do hope the car does well for them for at least a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes after the sale I'm reluctant to spend the money until some time goes by, but there is a limit to what people should expect. I bought a Land Cruiser once that threw a connecting rod on the way home from the sale. No one knew, it's an old car and stuff happens.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently just sold my daily driver motorcycle, did all my own maintenance and kept it beautiful. Less than a week later he called about a spare vw engine I had, and had mentioned that the motorcycle had blown out a radiator hose... Not my fault, nothing I could have done, and it could have happened to me. Luckily he nor I were stranded.

Now on the flip side if you knew something was seriously wrong I'm sure karma would come back and bite you in the butt
germanstyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought and sold tons of cars and I feel like I represented fairly. It had given me a little charging trouble resently which I explained the reason I swapped the generator. The generator was used but I checked it and it was putting out 7.5 volts after I installed it. The problem he's having is hard starting and doesn't appear to be related to the generator.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

responsible for what???? if you riged it to sell than you probably dont feal any thing.if they eff it up it's thiers. if something was rong and you told them it's thiers.if you gave them a warranty your screwed Shocked I dont have any issues with my car.if I sold it and then it broke all, by it's self....somethen would be kinda fishey. Ive seen a few guys effup a new toy very quickley. and some dont mess with them at all. or they take it to an "exspert" that eff's it up for them and tels them what a pos they bought and then gives them a bill&estimate to "fix it" or offer to swap out the offending parts for some real good shit they have on thier pos because your stuff is just all rong and wont work.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in need of some form of occupational therapy assistance when buying a car from me, get it, because I'm going to deliver the whole known truth about a car I'm selling before selling it- not after.

I don't mind if you call me and ask if I have ever found any old photos of the car, but after the sale is not the time to admit you couldn't/didn't listen to me tell you about the car.

I am not responsible for your marital strife you created by buying my car. I am obligated, however, to let you know how badly you've abused a car if I see it in a parking lot 3 months later painted flat black with a giant "Punisher" skull on the hood. The manner in which I deliver the message is entirely relative to how bad you've f'd it up.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two previous posts said pretty much the same thing. It's hard to tell, I could only read one of them.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted kinda.

If something breaks right after the person buys it, I would feel bad but not responsible for repairing it.
You really have no idea what the person might have done.
I also honestly think that a new person's driving style can cause something that was ok for me to break.

A long time ago I sold a VW. I think it had the wrong hockey stick or something was wacky with the shifter as it was tricky to get it into 4th gear. I had no problem as I had gotten used to driving it.

The guy that bought it had tons of trouble getting into 4th when test driving it but he got it to work a couple times and said he was fine.

He called me later and said the transmission blew on the way home. "Smoke dumping out the back" so maybe the engine instead?
I guarantee he tried to drive that car home on the freeway in 3rd gear and blew it up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few vw's I have sold went to vw folks that knew the car and were as fanatic about them as I am. That said, I would never sell any to just john public and see it wrecked. Better it stays parked and rots in my yard.
I suppose buying any 40+ year old vehicle has it's risks and we vw folks understand this.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
I think the two previous posts said pretty much the same thing. It's hard to tell, I could only read one of them.

I agree. That guy from Idaho really is hard to understand, isn't he?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago I sold my car I had built from a shell,raced it foe almost 15 years,both street&strip.618 hp street car, it was fun.I kept the motor&trans. 2 weeks lator I could not recognize it at a car show. Shocked I actuly thought it was a chevy nova when I was looking at it with my buddy...it WAS a plymouth duster 340.....same exterrior paint(witch was very nice when I sold it only 2 years old) now thats skeery.
when I got my bug...it was in a box( I seem to have a thing for box cars)I mean everything was in boxes,windows,no seats,headliner,etc. I gess the guy felt bad and brought me some more parts...in more boxes. it had a berg shifter but he put it in the bug that replaced this one. as I recall I got the car for free just for getting it out of his dads driveway.he crashed it then got the new car& tried to swap everything over.....the new car was a super.not much fit.and he had no way to get it out of there.so...I took it off his hands. Shocked I thought I was smarter than that. apparently not. I dont think he felt bad.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
years ago I sold my car I had built from a shell,raced it foe almost 15 years,both street&strip.618 hp street car, it was fun.I kept the motor&trans. 2 weeks lator I could not recognize it at a car show. Shocked I actuly thought it was a chevy nova when I was looking at it with my buddy...it WAS a plymouth duster 340.....same exterrior paint(witch was very nice when I sold it only 2 years old) now thats skeery.
when I got my bug...it was in a box( I seem to have a thing for box cars)I mean everything was in boxes,windows,no seats,headliner,etc. I gess the guy felt bad and brought me some more parts...in more boxes. it had a berg shifter but he put it in the bug that replaced this one. as I recall I got the car for free just for getting it out of his dads driveway.he crashed it then got the new car& tried to swap everything over.....the new car was a super.not much fit.and he had no way to get it out of there.so...I took it off his hands. Shocked I thought I was smarter than that. apparently not. I dont think he felt bad.

grate storrie;
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The implied warranty on a used car from a private party isn't all that long...

But it's longer than a couple hours. The right thing to do is to discount the cost of whatever it will take to make it right. A good faith effort goes a long way in having the buyer perceive you as human, instead of the guy telling him to "kick rocks" after the starter went out 2 hours later.

Just my single opinion.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I prefer to sell cars to a total stranger instead of family or friends. When I sell a car I tell them that once you drive it off my property it is your to keep. I never lie or misrepresent anything I sell.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
This is why I prefer to sell cars to a total stranger instead of family or friends. When I sell a car I tell them that once you drive it off my property it is your to keep. I never lie or misrepresent anything I sell.

NEVER to family! I GAVE a vehicle to my cousin. 2 years later, he still calls me for every problem. TWO YEARS LATER! :2gunfire:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this "sell" of which you speak?
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold a 71 super parts car for 500 and I swear to god those guys called and texted me for a solid week afterwards claiming I had screwed em on purpose. Befoe they came over to look at it, I asked them if they understood how to rebuild an engine and that this car was far from road worthy with bad floorboards and a junked engine that needed a rebuild. I had been so nice as to break it down to shortblock, but did not split the case. They asked me if I knew anything else wrong with it, and I told them that I had not gone through it or put an engine in it to check (the truth) They asked for a carb and a dizzy, which was not even part of the original deal, which I gave them

They came with a trailer and didn't dick with the price. The transaction was smooth and I gave them a bill of sale, and they were on their way.

Not two hour later I got harassing messages claiming I had lied about the condition of the engine and that it had a spun bearing, when I clearly told them It needed a full strip down and rebuild including a line bore. I told them it wasn't spinning with the pistons removed, but I couldnt be sure of anything till the block was split in two. They told me They demanded their money back, I even offered to help out within reason, they continued to shit on my word, I told em I was done helping and that sales were final, and proceded to block the number.

I dont feel responsible at all when I tell you everything I know for certain and you agree to pay and drive off/ trailer the car off. I'm willing to help if something little is wrong that I forgot to mention but insulting me does nothing but hurt your case

My $0.02

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: