Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'99 beetle heater core replacement
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEI Jonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: '99 beetle heater core replacement Reply with quote

Hi Folks, does anyone have a link/thread that could show step-by-step of replacing the heater core in a '99 bug from start to finish? I know it's a big job, and costly! So I'm thinking if I can do it myself, i'll save about 900.00!
Thanks!!
74 std beetle ( not running)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sitting in either front seat, do you see that stuff in front of you(called the dash), take it ALL out, then you'll be able to remove the box with the fan, heater core and evaporator, to be able to replace the heater core.

The Bently Manual has all the info in it to guide you step by step. Since you are saving $900 doing it yourself, maybe you could spare some of that to buy the first tool you should have bought when you decided you could do your own work on this car.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's an example of a Passat, very close to the same. You start at the back seat & turn the interior into a yard sale.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to take on this job, you should also get some of the aluminum ducting tape and scrape all of the deteriorated foam off the air blend doors (the mysterious pieces of dark grey crap that blows into your face when you turn the fan on) & tape over the quarter sized holes in those doors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: