Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Mercury Bobcat Engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: 78 Mercury Bobcat Engine Reply with quote

I'm a noob that two days ago inherited a 73 VW camper with a water cooled engine. I was told it has a German made Ford engine so I assumed, from reading around on the internet, that meant a Ford Cologne V6 engine. Today I was sorting through papers in the glove box and found a small piece of paper with the oil filter part number and the last line reads:
"78 Mercury Bobcat Engine"
I Googled this and found that there is some overlap with the Ford Cologne V6 engine that I don't understand.
Can somebody explain?
Should I take a picture of the engine?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone may answer but photos are always good.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the V4 was more common in europe , plus an inline 4 with OHC .

so what have you got,a straight 4, V4 or V6?

just because the oil filter part number is for a mercury bobcat (ford pinto) doesn't specifically mean that you have that engine, lot's of filters are interchangeable.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, makes sense! Likely IS a Ford Cologne. It is a v6 for sure. The note only had references to oil filter parts numbers, so I bet the last was just a reference to a vehicle that uses the oil filter as another way to refer to the oil filter. It was just another way to index the part. I'll take a picture of the engine today and see what y'all think. Thanks oorwullie! Very thoughtful.

oorwullie wrote:
the V4 was more common in europe , plus an inline 4 with OHC .

so what have you got,a straight 4, V4 or V6?

just because the oil filter part number is for a mercury bobcat (ford pinto) doesn't specifically mean that you have that engine, lot's of filters are interchangeable.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cologne engines were fairly rare stateside. They were available in the Mercury Capri's of the time and a handful of Mustang II's. Lots of parts interchanged with the six cylinders, but if I remember correctly, the Cologne engine had larger valves or something on the heads. There were three sizes of the V6, so that makes a difference as well... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury bobcat engine would most likely be the same engine they used in the Pinto since the Bobcat and Pinto were the same car using different badging. 2.3 liter inline 4.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Mercury bobcat engine would most likely be the same engine they used in the Pinto since the Bobcat and Pinto were the same car using different badging. 2.3 liter inline 4.

They were also available with the Cologne V6. I had a '76 Pinto with one; would have been an interesting combo if it hadn't been so larded up with the crude early emissions stuff, and the car hadn't become heavy with bolted on safety crap.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Thank you for your thoughts.
Do these pics help with identification?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a V but i'm not familiar with ford motors to be able to say any more.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the date code, no. I have a Cologne engine in one of my kits, and it has flat valve covers, so I'm not entirely sure yours is a Cologne. But.. my block shares the exact same number sequence after that 74. Many Colognes have individual runners on the exhaust to the main "log" - "regular" Ford engines would have a siamesed exhaust at the log which makes it look like it only has two cylinders on a side. Again, a lot of both types of engines came both ways.... mine has (had) the siamesed cylinders with the flat rocker covers. It was only with some major digging did I discover that it was a Cologne engine. Which really doesn't make a difference - it's still the same engine, just manufactured elsewhere. It's the same engine seen in the Ford Rangers and a whole slew of other cars. Not too many hop-up goodies other than an intake manifold and headers if you can find them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to add some gauges to my bus. I’ve read quite a bit about popular gauges for air-cooled buses, but what would y’all think would be the top three gauges for a water-cooled bus? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For practical reasons- I'd simply google "1977 Ford Capri interior" and see what gauges they had in them. it would certainly help in determining optimal temp and pressure ranges, etc.

I'd bet oil pressure and water temp for sure- oil temp if you're a gauge nerd.

I'm a huge fan of those Ford Capris (and the ones from the 60s). I'll bet the bus scoots down the road nicely, but probably gets far worse mileage than the stock A/C engine.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the V4 was the same as the V6 but minus 2 cylinders. count the spark plugs. thats a very small/compact engine.I didnt know I was looking at a 4cyl the first time I saw one around 20 years ago.....also didnt know ford even made a v4 like that.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

The second generation Cologne V6 was introduced in 1974. It displaced 2.8 L (93.03 mm Bore, 68.5 mm Stroke, 2,792 cc or 170.4 cu in) and used a geared camshaft design. The European version used a "siamesed" two-port exhaust manifold, similar to the one used on the V4, while the American version used three-port heads. The European approach was useful in that existing cars with the V4 engine could be upgraded with relative ease. Output was rated at 90 to 115 bhp (86 kW) for the US market and anywhere from 130 to 160 bhp (119 kW) for the European market, depending on the model.

In Europe the 2.8 was produced with carburetor (132 bhp), mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K-Jetronic, 160 bhp), and electronic injection (Ford EEC-IV, 150 bhp). Electronic injection only featured on the 2.8 Granada models for one year before being replaced with the 2.9 unit.[citation needed]

Tuning options are very limited with the Bosch K-Jetronic models. The siamesed inlet and exhaust ports of the 2.8 only respond well to forced induction or an overbore; normal tuning will yield only minor power results. The MFI 2.8 Cologne ( Capri / Sierra 2.8i ) uses a very restricted induction setup, and there is no open air kit available due to this.[citation needed]

TVR Tasmin/280i used the Cologne 2.8 with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection, as did the early TVR 'S' series in 2.8 and revised 2.9 efi injection form.

Applications:

TVR 280i/Tasmin
TVR S Series
Ford Ranger
Ford Bronco II
Ford Aerostar
Ford Pinto
Mercury Bobcat
Mercury Capri
Ford Mustang II
Ford Granada
Ford Capri III
Ford Sierra
Ford Scorpio
Bandvagn 206
Reliant Scimitar (1979 onwards)
Panther Kallista
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting when people write for wiki.....Bosch K-jet with limited Tunability? ....not even remotely with the huge range of interchangeable parts across a vast range of models form that time.
I find that most people who make that statement....and I have met quite a few.....have never worked on K jet and have little understanding of "exactly" how it works. .....I would say "citation needed"....Wink
Ray
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my "1973 Campmobile Watercooled Engine" out for its first real drive with me as owner and had a fuel feed problem. It'll turn over, but no fuel is coming out of the fuel pump when I check. I suppose I'll try to replace the fuel pump. I'm a complete noob. Any advice or resources y'all might suggest. It's a Cologne V6. Maybe I can find a youtube video. Looks like it's two bolts. In the picture you'll see I have the fuel line removed from the in and out. When I tested it I left the fuel line attached to the in side. Also I checked the fuel filter and it looks relatively gunk free, it's one of those clear ones, and when I unscrewed the clamp fuel seemed to move through the fuel filter fine.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be clogged or diaphragm broken internally. They're cheap enough, just get another or block off the pump at the block and put an electric pump on. And yes, it's just two bolts. IIRC there is also a cam rod under it which will also need to come out.
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Could be clogged or diaphragm broken internally. They're cheap enough, just get another or block off the pump at the block and put an electric pump on. And yes, it's just two bolts. IIRC there is also a cam rod under it which will also need to come out.

Hey thanks man. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump replaced, next... Reply with quote

Hey y'all! I successfully replaced my fuel pump. Turns out I also had three fuel filters which I replaced. My bus is now starting and running pretty damn well. I'm getting ready for another test drive and hopefully this one won't end up with a call to AAA again. Remember, I'm an idiot... Is this where I drain the oil? And is this where I put the new oil in? Am I going to need a tool to remove this oil filter? I found a book at the library called “How to Build and Modify Ford 60 degree v-6 Engines”, but it's all advanced information. I have a Bentley manual and a How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, but they're no help with my engine. I need to know more stuff like how much oil and where's the oil pump?

Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Probably
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: