Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are air cooled VW unreliable
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEE 64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Are air cooled VW unreliable Reply with quote

Why do some people say air cooled vw are less reliable than new cars or watered cooled cars are they less reliable ?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any vehicle of a certain age is unreliable in the wrong hands.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest air-cooled VWs are 32 years old and have most likely been suffering through decades of neglect, incompetent mechanics, cheapskate owners, and crappy aftermarket parts.

So yeah, a 32+ year old VW is less reliable than a new modern car.

But also these cars were made in a different era. Back in the '50s/'60s/'70s when you bought a car you knew it would need frequent maintenance. At least every 3000 miles you need to do a service to it (and not just an oil change). If you don't do this, it won't last long and will not be reliable.

Modern cars are nearly maintenance free. All you have to do is change the oil once a year or so and keep on driving worry free. If you drive an old VW like that, you will be stranded before too long. In an old VW you have to maintain the ignition system, you have to maintain the valvetrain, and you have to maintain the fuel system (unless you have FI). Not to mention the fact that a lot of things that are 30-40 years old are worn out or will shortly be worn out.

If you want to drive an air cooled VW in 2015, you need to know how to work on it yourself or be wealthy so you can pay someone to work on it for you - if you can find someone knowledgeable to do so - the old school guys who really know air cooled VWs are disappearing fast.

If you want a car that you can just hop in and drive anytime anywhere with no worries, you want a more modern car.
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a good mechanic or parts store that carries ACVW stuff accounts for 90% of the unreliability. A good running air cooled engine can be just as reliable as a 2005 civic. I know for a fact that my bus runs a hell of a lot better than my roommate's cars simply because I take better care of it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
LEE 64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

so there not less reliable just worn out ? and if it was new acvw well maintained just as reliable as a new car ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many piece of American steel do you see out on the road that date from the 60's and 70's? Up through the mid to late sixties a Ford or Chevy with 30K miles on it was considered old and due for a replacement, 60K was considered very high mileage.

Yes it is getting hard to find good parts, but worth the effort in the long run. I have taken parts from my 250K motor in and shown them to several automotive machinist and engine builders. If I don't tell them anything about the engine they came from first, they have all told me the engine they must have come from a low mileage engine there is so little wear on most of them.

Buy a GEX engine or build one using the same basic techniques and yes they will be undependable.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do people keep posting these hot button topics?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

have another beer. The goggles will help you see past it.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEE 64 wrote:
so there not less reliable just worn out ? and if it was new acvw well maintained just as reliable as a new car ?

I think you missed the point. They are as reliable as you make them. If you have a good quality engine (most likely rebuilt at this point) that has been maintained properly, well then, you shouldn't have too many problems. Asking is it "just as reliable as a modern car" is a relative question. For example, I have a 2002 Volvo (girlfirend's car, never maintained) sitting in my driveway that I wouldn't trust to be more reliable than my 1968 bus.

SGKent wrote:
Brian wrote:

have another beer. The goggles will help you see past it.

I think it alternates, every other week. This week we get this topic, next week we get the "HELP! I bought a bus sight unseen that I have to drive cross country in 2 days and it just broke down after driving it 5 miles! By the way, I don't know anything about working on VWs, or cars in general!" Razz Laughing

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I have four because I'm a glutton for punishment.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: are air cooled vw unreliable Reply with quote

these questions are all well & good-
but can I retrofit ABS & airbags?
power steering?
T-tops?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A unicycle can be unreliable. It can also break down and leave you stranded. What the heck are going to do when that 30 year old pedal finally snaps off as you try to climb that hill?

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: are air cooled vw unreliable Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
these questions are all well & good-
but can I retrofit ABS & airbags?
power steering?
T-tops?

yes on all but the airbags, unless you want to dump and tub. call for an appointment Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would loooove airbags. Lift up around town and drop low on the freeway.

Power steering isn't too hard to fit in.

Quote:
I think it alternates, every other week. This week we get this topic, next week we get the "HELP! I bought a bus sight unseen that I have to drive cross country in 2 days and it just broke down after driving it 5 miles! By the way, I don't know anything about working on VWs, or cars in general!" :Razz: :Laughing:

Far too true.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: are air cooled vw unreliable Reply with quote

it's about time for the moderators to create a "loaded question" sub-forum
here are some starter questions-
should I change the oil?
is battery post maintenance necessary?
mine didn't come with keyfob!?
where can I get a replacement keyfob?
the keyfob I bought doesn't work the doors. do I need a special keyfob?
what's a solenoid?
the vtec seems to be broken?
where's fifth gear?
" sixth gear?
" overdrive? (for you oldsters)
& the radiator seems to be leaking black stuff out the back?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like every other term in this day and age.....the term reliable as far as automobiles are concerned....got reinterpreted by thr non mechanically inclined public years ago. Just go to a coffee shop and, ask virtually anyone what "reliable" means in an automobile.....and you will find by the current definition. ....that ACVW are indeed unreliable.

Back in the 50s, 60s and even 70s.....the term reliable meant....is one car more prone fo major mechanical failure than another. By that definition. ....when each car gets the care specified by the manufacturer. ....the ACVW....is quite reliable.

The modern version is...."how much maintenance does it require to keep it running and how often will I have to get my hands dirty under the hood".......by that definition the ACVW is very poor on reliability.

The modern car driver definition is.....a car that always starts and I never have to do anything at all to. Just ask around and thats what you will find. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is non-technical, so I'm going to move it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ...

I have a full stash of tools under the bonnet.

I have a spare dizzy, carb, and coil under my back seat. (I know ... I should order a clutch cable, throttle cable, and fuel pump.)

I have a pretty good set of VDO gauges on my dash that I've learned over the years that I really do need.

I have a tow bar leaning up against my house that is quick for my wife to grab if I ever have a serious problem.

And ... I drive my car anywhere I need to go without hesitation. I choose to rely on it.

Therefore, I guess it's reliable.

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are unreliable then I am doing it wrong....my wife and I i daily a 67 bug and a 64 bus.
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a 2004 PT Cruiser (don't judge me) and a 2009 Volvo C30 in the past. my 1971 Super was not only more reliable, but it was cheaper to repair than both of them. ya, you have to do the maintenance yourself, but these vws are easy to work on.

the only thing i miss is a/c, but that's only when it's raining.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: