Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

This is what my OE couplers show on the front, for reference:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks! I just received the VW OEM coupler from BugHaus and it looks exactly like that except the VW/Audi logo and VW p/n have been rubbed off (as BugHaus said may be the case due to the OEM's arrangement with VW). It is indeed a stout piece of rubber. I'm looking forward to getting that installed and curing the random honk.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Choke Pull-Off Piston Sticking in its Bore Reply with quote

So I sent a message about this to Bert in hopes of picking his expert brain but I might as well post it here too. I finally decided to try and do something about my poorly-operating left choke:

I'd love any input from you guys about how to rectify this weirdo problem.

-------------

On my left carb, the vacuum piston for the choke pull-off is sticking in its bore. It does not allow the choke to close completely. Tonight I took the carb top off and took it apart to try to identify the culprit. First, I placed the whole thing in an ultrasonic cleaner. It is now nice and clean but the vacuum piston is still sticking in its bore.

So I took off the circlip and removed the piston’s connecting rod from the choke mechanism. This allowed me to confirm that indeed it is the vacuum piston that is sticking and not the choke mechanism or shaft itself. Without the vacuum piston connected, the choke moves freely through its full travel.

So I removed the peened-on cap from the bottom of the vacuum bore and removed the piston from the bore. Looking at the bore there are no obvious problems, no signs of deposits or varnish or anything else that would be obstructing the movement of the piston. Same for the piston itself.

But for some reason the piston sticks in the bore as it gets closer to the top of the bore.

Just now I have put the carb top with piston removed back into the ultrasonic cleaner (and the piston separately) to make sure both are fully clean.

Have you ever run across this particular issue? Is the piston supposed to be lubricated with engine oil or grease perhaps?

If it’s not supposed to be lubricated, I’m not sure what else to do except try to hone the bore a little bit but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea…

I’d love any input you can offer.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

With the advice of EverettB who has done this carb-choke-piston-fixing job before, I took it on. First I got the carb top nice and clean in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then I removed the peened-in cap at the bottom of the choke piston bore.

Disconnected the piston from the choke mechanism and pushed it out through the bottom:

Got after it with some 1000-grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet-sanded it all around while test-fitting. Eventually I got it to the point where it would slide smoothly in the bore and not hang up. Then I put it back in place and JB-Welded a dime to the bottom of the bore - that really is the perfect size!

Put it all back together. Note when re-installing the piston that the cut-out in the connecting rod needs to face toward the choke mechanism. You can see in this photo with the choke fully closed that the cut-out is there for a reason. If you installed it backwards you could cause the piston to bind. or the choke not to fully close.

While the carbs were off I took the opportunity to re-route my fuel hoses between the anti-backflow valve and fuel pump. I noticed after looking at this post from back on page 14 that I had routed them incorrectly:

I had them running around the other side of the oil pressure switch and as a result they were up higher. When I had the air cleaner off for this carb job I observed that the accelerator cable linkage had been rubbing on one of the hoses. Not good. So I cut new pieces to length and ran them correctly:

Re-installed the carb top, adjusted the levers that the choke uses to transmit motion to the throttle levers so they were even on both sides, and it fired right up with both chokes now fully working properly for the first time since I've owned the car! Wow I have proper fast idle on a cold engine! I'm glad I finally tackled this job.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Today I put in the new VW OEM steering coupler. It's not too bad a job; a bit tight working through the left wheel well but there's plenty of space to get it done. I notice the main difference between doing this job on my car and on D/A/N's car is that the later cars don't have cotter pins through the bolts. Luckily I had a box of new cotter pins handy for installation.

Easy enough job, take out the old one and put in the new one.

The new one I put in is OEM VW from BugHaus:

It is really stout and incredibly hard to bend.

The one that came out was this one labeled "Premium Quality":

I found this one for sale on the CIP1 web site as one of the higher end options. It may be better than the cheapest one but it's not as good as the VW one. You can see the stress marks coming from the holes where it had started to crack. That is where it was really flexing and making my horn blow by itself.

The VW one has a much firmer feel to it; when I get to the steering stop, there's not a lot of mushiness and flex, it just stops.

Funnily enough, CIP1 sells the "Premium Quality" one for $20 while the OEM VW one is $20 at BugHaus. CIP1 sells the OEM one for $30. For the same price, always go with OEM.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Proper VW steering coupler fixed the unintended honk issue. Dancing
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Hello all,
Took a road trip yesterday and the car did great. Got caught in some torrential-downpour style rain on the highway and noted a few drips inside the car that appear to be emanating from the lower connection of the fresh air box drain tubes. Not bad at all considering the amount of rain but I want that to be completely sealed up.

I did a search but was not able to find the answer - does anyone know the correct size of the drain hose? I wonder if it was originally the same 12mm braided hose that is used for the crankcase breather?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Started to notice some extra noise from the front suspension over bumps so I checked it out today. Looks like it's coming from a sloppy right inner tie rod end.

Looked it up in the parts book and it seems it's the same part number as the left outer so is widely available. Looks like it will be a little more "fun" to replace than the left outer I did recently. Rolling Eyes
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

use up your gasoline first. It's really not fun to spend hours draining the tank, getting it in your eyes, armpit, etc
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
use up your gasoline first. It's really not fun to spend hours draining the tank, getting it in your eyes, armpit, etc

Oh man do I really have to pull the tank? Seems like it might be doable (tight, but doable) without pulling the tank but maybe I'm in denial. Very Happy
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Oh man do I really have to pull the tank? Seems like it might be doable (tight, but doable) without pulling the tank but maybe I'm in denial. Very Happy

It's possible to do it without pulling the tank but it's a giant pain in the ass and you'll probably wish you'd pulled the tank in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
Erik G wrote:

It's possible to do it without pulling the tank but it's a giant pain in the ass and you'll probably wish you'd pulled the tank in the end.

Yep. You won't save any time or anguish by leaving the tank in. Just pull it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

You can pull the hose on the bottom off the tunnel hard line and plug it but yeah, use it up if you can, the tank might be as much as 60 pounds lighter if it's empty. Wink
(Seriously, a gallon of gas is 6 pounds. 10 gallons x 6 = 60 pounds)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I researched the manufacturer behind this coupler, looks like they are a German VW OEM (in addition to many others) for all sorts of fiber-reinforced flexible couplers. That seems to be their whole business!

http://www.sgf.de/en/sgf-sueddeutsche-gelenkscheibenfabrik-english/automotive/products.html
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I researched the manufacturer behind this coupler, looks like they are a German VW OEM (in addition to many others) for all sorts of fiber-reinforced flexible couplers. That seems to be their whole business!

http://www.sgf.de/en/sgf-sueddeutsche-gelenkscheibenfabrik-english/automotive/products.html

I still can't understand why BugHaus has the version with the part number ground off. I've purchased these multiple times and they always come the way they are in the photo I posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Today's project:

BTW I only have 4 clips and I only have holes in the engine lid for 4 clips. Is more clips a later model year thing?
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

That looks beautiful!! What did you use??

sjbartnik wrote:
Today's project:

BTW I only have 4 clips and I only have holes in the engine lid for 4 clips. Is more clips a later model year thing?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
That looks beautiful!! What did you use??

Reflectix and 3M HVAC tape.

I had to buy a roll of Reflectix so there's a ton left over if you want any.
Bughaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I still can't understand why BugHaus has the version with the part number ground off. I've purchased these multiple times and they always come the way they are in the photo I posted.

It just depends on the manufacturer agreement with VW. Many times VW dictates to the manufacturers that if they're sold to anyone outside of VW then their logos get ground off. They always used to have the logo on them but in the past 5-6 months it's mostly been ground off. It's a pretty common thing in the industry and not unique to VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Today I bit the bullet and replaced both inner tie rod ends. I had originally intended only to do the right inner but after I replaced the right inner I could then easily see all the slop in the left inner. Luckily I had the foresight to obtain a new left inner from a Samba member and it came in the other day. The new right inner was OCAP from Bughaus and the new left inner (with the 9 degree bend) was a TRW part.

Despite the warnings I received above, I was able to replace the inners without removing the gas tank. It wasn't even much of a pain - not as much of a pain as removing the gas tank would have been. Very Happy

I used this tool for removing the tie rod ends and it fit perfectly in between the steering coupler and the tank with careful positioning of the drop arm:

To make the job easier I just removed each tie rod entirely from the car, measuring everything very carefully so as not to disturb the alignment. Took it out for a spin after and once again it's nice and tight.

Weird that 3 out of the 4 tie rod ends have died in the recent past. The only one still going strong is the right outer. I don't know if Keith put new ones in or if these are the originals. I'd hate to think they were new ones as it hasn't been driven that many miles since he completed the restoration. I imagine New York city streets are tough on tie rod ends but I hope they're not THAT fragile.

On my test drive I went to go get gas (I had let it run pretty dry in anticipation of possibly having to pull the tank) and when I started it back up the fuel gauge only went to about 3/4 full and was twitchy. So of course I was annoyed (fix one thing, something else pops up!!) but I pulled the ground wire off the sender and grounded it - gauge showed full.

Hit the tab on the sender with some DeOxit, cleaned it up a bit, plugged the ground wire back in and my gauge is reading full again. I like easy fixes.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Steering Column Play Reply with quote

So lately I've noticed a bit of up-and-down play in the steering column (seems like NYC streets are exposing all the weaknesses in the front end).

I will make a video later but from what I can tell, it's not the outer column that's moving. It's the inner column (the one the steering wheel bolts to) that I can move up and down relative to the outer column which remains stationary.

I did a search but it seems like most topics dealt with the later column and the shear bracket causing issues.

Looking at the parts book a natural suspect would seem to be the steering column bearing but perhaps I'm missing some other common issue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 41

Jump to: