Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Here's the promised video:

Link

If you look at the gap between steering wheel and column you can see the movement. Is this normal or what?

Thanks in advance!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

That looks like upper bearing play to me. What you might find is the plastic coating on the outside of the bearing is falling apart, or the bearing is just getting sloppy.
You'd have to get with Josh (ataraxia) to find out for sure.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Is it possible you may have left a piece out or not clipped the spring down to the column shaft or maybe a piece was left out? I had a similar problem and it was that I had to get that spring under tension to line up the groove on the shaft to get the clip to fasten. Once I got that on, the play in the column shaft went away.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Is it possible you may have left a piece out or not clipped the spring down to the column shaft or maybe a piece was left out? I had a similar problem and it was that I had to get that spring under tension to line up the groove on the shaft to get the clip to fasten. Once I got that on, the play in the column shaft went away.

Thanks for reminding me about that spring set up Monte. I know what you mean about getting the clip on after compressing the spring, as I had to play with that on my 64 T-34.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

I haven't taken the column apart so unless Keith didn't get the clip seated when he put it together it should be fine. I feel like this movement is new though, I feel like I would have noticed it before.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I haven't taken the column apart so unless Keith didn't get the clip seated when he put it together it should be fine. I feel like this movement is new though, I feel like I would have noticed it before.

It may be worth a look. You could pull the horn cap, unscrew the bolt, undo the ground wire if one is going down the shaft and pull the steering wheel and see what's going on in there. Take a pic and post it. Just a thought.

If memory serves me, there are two points where the shaft is connected; near the steering box and inside the steering column housing. If the column housing is secured to the dash, and the steering wheel is doing what your video shows, look inside the column housing. Either a part is worn down, has popped off or is missing.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

If the column head is even the slightest bit loose this is the typical result. There's 2 Allen head cap screws holding the column head in place against the force of the spring inside the column. As you know, the steering rod is stiff because the rubber bushing is at one end and the steering wheel is at the other. The column head will move when the two cap screws loosen slightly...it's the most annoying 'feature' of this design. As a result, I've added wavy washers and locktite to my cap screws to minimize loosening and movement.

If the bearing cup disintegrated you'd know pretty quickly so I doubt that's it. There's not much force or pressure on that part-probably why they're plastic.

If the spring on the actual steering rod broke, the column head should move up and down more...but it's possible that it's worn/compressed a bit too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Great info Bobnotch, MonT3, and ataraxia. I will check out these avenues and report back. Thanks!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

So first thing I checked was ataraxia's suggestion because that's the easiest. Sure enough, those two allen bolts under the steering column were loose. I tightened them up but unfortunately that did nothing to ameliorate the play

So then I pulled the steering wheel. The circlip was in its groove just above the spring and everything seemed to be fine.

I made the mistake of pulling the turn signal lever because I thought that would help me see farther down the column. Rolling Eyes

The big spring popped out along with one of the metal discs and I had an oh shit moment. Took some time to figure out how it went back together and then even more time to figure out how to seat it back fully (had to consult the Bentley on that one). Turned into a nice little time suck.

Here's a photo from when I was in there:

Since I was in there anyway I took the opportunity to clean up the electrical connections and grease the mechanical bits that need grease. But that was a real dumb fuck idea, pulling the turn signal lever.

Anyway, everything appears to be in place yet the play in the column is still there. I can only assume at this point that it's the bearing itself.

The good news though is that after I put all that back together, I installed a RediRad. So that's neat. Very Happy
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

If the bolts are loose, you have to grab the column head and pull it toward you before you tighten the bolts, otherwise the gap that was there will continue to be there. You're pulling against the pressure of the spring in the steering column.

If your bearings are destroyed I've got quite a few of them...but I doubt that's the issue.

The tension of the spring, tightness of the two allen bolts and location of the column head determine if the column moves as you're experiencing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

OK I will re-do. I did note later when my head was under the column that, judging by the position of the elongated slots in the column head relative to the allen bolts, it appeared that the column head was as far toward the rear of the car as it could go.

But it's possible there could be adjustment room left there, so I'll loosen them back up, and re-tighten while pulling the column head toward me.

Thanks!!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

The column rod is only so long - meaning that there's a finite amount of space between the steering box (one end) and the steering wheel (the other end).

What you're trying to do is properly space the column head and tube in between those two ends...that's it.

You can always tell when a steering box has been replaced on a Type 3 when it's not done properly because there's a 1/2" gap between the steering wheel and the turn signal arm.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

I just went down and had a go. I was indeed able to get the column head to pull more rearward but I'm at the end of the adjustment and while I was able to close the gap a bit, the gap is still not quite as small as Bentley says it should be.

Bentley notes that if the range of adjustment at the column head is insufficient, you can loosen the clamp on the base of the column just above the steering coupler and push the column further into the clamp to reduce the gap that way.

I guess that will be my next move on another day. It sounds like you can't definitively blame the bearing until you get the column adjusted to spec.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

There's adjustment where the rubber mounts are located at the dash as well.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
There's adjustment where the rubber mounts are located at the dash as well.

Thanks, I'll investigate that too.

Learned a lot on chasing this down thanks to you guys. It's clear to me now that the spring in the column is not under enough tension if the column gap is not adjusted correctly. Am I understanding it correctly to say that the spring tension puts something of a preload on the bearing to take up any inherent slack?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Take a look at this shit! Reply with quote

So last night I drove up to Williamsburg with a passenger for an event. Uneventful. Later that same evening I drove back home with 3 passengers and while driving I noticed lots of clunky noises from the front suspension over bumps and I also noticed lots of shimmying in the steering wheel over bumps. Car drove/tracked fine but I could tell something was up.

I suspected the steering damper was blown or maybe had come loose somehow because the oscillations in the steering over bumps felt like that.

Took off the left wheel, was checking steering damper, everything looked OK. Then I saw it...

Took off right wheel, what's wrong with this picture?

Shocked

So I guess I'm in search of a new upper shock absorber mounting bolt. I'm about to go reference the parts book to see if I can find the specs for the bolt but in the meantime if anyone knows for sure that would be helpful. There is a Fastenal nearby so maybe they will have what I need.

EDIT: OK it looks like I need the bolt 111 413 403A - according to info I can find online it appears to be M12 x 1.5 x 65mm with a non-threaded area for the shock bushing.

I also lost the bushing and whatever washers were or were not installed.

I have found online sources for the washers and bolt (Fastenal web site says the local store doesn't have it in stock so I'd have to order it anyway) but no one seems to have the bushing 111 413 371A.

If anyone has one laying around in a dead shock that they wouldn't mind either sending to me or measuring in case I have to get one made somewhere...I have the Boge front shocks if that matters.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

I can ship these two to you for the cost of postage...original (stuck) bushings included. Laughing One bolt is definitely good - the other one has some flat threads.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Ha!

Hold the good one for me just in case, looks like Keith came through with a spare bushing and I just got the bolt and washers in the mail from ISP West. I won't be able to get to it for about a week but hopefully by the time I get back Keith's bushing will have arrived.

If for whatever reason that plan doesn't pan out I will definitely take you up on this offer. Very Happy

Thanks
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip out of town. By the time I had returned, I had the bolt and washers in from ISP West and Keith had come through with a spare shock bushing that he somehow had lying around.

So I put it all back together today. Getting the bushing into the rubber grommet on the shock was a bear, I don't know how the old one came out. I can only imagine that it was seized to the bolt and it must have been working itself loose for a while. Shame on me for not catching it.

Then the night it popped out I had a car full of passengers, perhaps that extra compression of the suspension took any remaining tension off the bolt and it fell out.

Anyway with the parts re-installed it's back to normal and that rattle in the front suspension that I was trying to track down is completely gone. I guess I now know what it was. Rolling Eyes
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Just got back from a trip out of town. By the time I had returned, I had the bolt and washers in from ISP West and Keith had come through with a spare shock bushing that he somehow had lying around.

So I put it all back together today. Getting the bushing into the rubber grommet on the shock was a bear, I don't know how the old one came out. I can only imagine that it was seized to the bolt and it must have been working itself loose for a while. Shame on me for not catching it.

Then the night it popped out I had a car full of passengers, perhaps that extra compression of the suspension took any remaining tension off the bolt and it fell out.

Anyway with the parts re-installed it's back to normal and that rattle in the front suspension that I was trying to track down is completely gone. I guess I now know what it was. Rolling Eyes

Glad to read it worked out for you in the end. Now, go drive that thing to make up for some lost time Very Happy
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 41

Jump to: