Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dead alternator... replace or repair?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

Hi. Another item to consider for the cars out there, such as '74 bug and ghia, that may still have the first generation alternator with the external voltage regulator. I was going thru my friends '74 ghia repair receipts and saw one where a local LA shop charged him $165 for a replacement volt regulator, part only. A search yielded this to be a good price for this part. So, something to consider prior to spending money to rebuild one of these versions vs replacement.
Hope this helps, Bill.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
I was going thru my friends '74 ghia repair receipts and saw one where a local LA shop charged him $165 for a replacement volt regulator, part only. A search yielded this to be a good price for this part.

Hmm, $165 seems a bit steep.

Here is a compatible external VR for alternator from Autozone going for around $50/ea:
4-prong connector
3-prong connector

The above parts even come w/ a 1yr warranty. Maybe if the shop sourced NOS Motorola or VW original parts it would cost $165.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

I thought so to til I viewed these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bosch-Voltage-Regulator-0192062006-Volkswagen-VW-/272113445367

p://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bosch-0192062006-Voltage-Regulator-for-1973-5-1974-VW-Beetle-Ghia-/231806580786

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0192062006

Thanks for your feedback. Wonder if the late '72 and later bus' and type 4's face this same pricing?
reded68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

When you say 'bad alternator' what do you mean?

My car had a brand new bosch alt installed when the engine was done. After one year it started putting out about 12v (with the engine running). I replaced the regulator with one of these:

http://store.alternatorparts.com/ib003---voltage-regulator.aspx

It's been putting out 13v at idle now, and 14.5 running.

No worries!
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:

empi prices ... empi quality.

Max

Just talked to my local bug repair shop. They have a LOT of customs running around our region now. They are the "go-to" shop. I told him I was going to have to buy another alternator and confirmed Bosch, not Empi and he said "NO!" He said that Bosch has been crap since they came stateside to manufacture. He said he replaces so many Bosch alternators. He knows I grew up in a shop and know about cars, but he said he only installs Empi now because "the Chinese got it right lately". So I have one I'm about to install, we'll see how it goes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apensity wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

empi prices ... empi quality.

Max

Just talked to my local bug repair shop. They have a LOT of customs running around our region now. They are the "go-to" shop. I told him I was going to have to buy another alternator and confirmed Bosch, not Empi and he said "NO!" He said that Bosch has been crap since they came stateside to manufacture. He said he replaces so many Bosch alternators. He knows I grew up in a shop and know about cars, but he said he only installs Empi now because "the Chinese got it right lately". So I have one I'm about to install, we'll see how it goes!

WOW. Ok if he stands behind EMPI's "lack of reputation". If you walk into his shop is their pegboard with all the cool EMPI stuff for sale?
As a mechanic I know the ease of r&r'ing the alternator but for a customer at approx. $80+ per hour what's the value to the customer?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

I got a new one from autozone for less that $80a few years back. but if you need more power for halogen lights or whatever you may opt for a high output 74 or 99 amp unit.carcraft has some good prices.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
I thought so to til I viewed these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bosch-Voltage-Regulator-0192062006-Volkswagen-VW-/272113445367

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bosch-0192062006-Volta...1806580786

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0192062006

Yeah, those would be NOS (new old stock) original parts. They will be expensive.

I found this one from German Supply which has a good rep for parts:
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18491&cat=&page=1
Beru parts are supposedly "German made". Though, somewhat hard to tell now days where the parts are ACTUALLY made. Wink

For the price of a NOS VR, you should probably replace the alternator with a new/rebuilt AL82 alternator with an internal VR. These are more common and available from most ACVW parts retailers.
The VR that reded68 linked to is an internal VR used in some (but not all) models of AL82 so wouldn't be useful for your current alternator.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

Hate to take this another direction, but if money were no object, what is the best high output alternator one can buy? Like a 90 - 150 amp alternator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:
My opinion: The last option is a Chinese alternator i.e. EMPI. Everything I've read about them is bad. A lot of bearing failures. If your planning on keeping the car and/or going on a long trip get it rebuilt or get a Bosch. Personally I don't like rebuilt electrical but if the shop is good is an option. Problem is you never know what they use for parts and what they just paint

I had a "new not rebuilt" Bosch in my bug and it went bad in less than 19,000 miles. Rather than spend another $200+ on a "new not rebuilt" Bosch (plus shipping) I went for an Autozone rebuilt for $74.99. Time will tell.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

Just to close this out, it was the alternator, put a new one in and it's been fine the last few weeks. The old one had arc marks on the casing, so it was arcing from somewhere.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

apensity wrote:
Just to close this out, it was the alternator, put a new one in.

So, what alternator did you select for your car?
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
apensity wrote:
Just to close this out, it was the alternator, put a new one in.

So, what alternator did you select for your car?

I got the Empi, but I bought the 50 amp on accident. Just threw a rod in the engine, so going to wait in getting the 90 amp and I'll get the Compufire 90 amp when I replace this one after the engine is rebuilt.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

I am about to install a "new-not rebuilt" Bosch AL-82N.
It is made in Mexico.
I hope it is of O.E.M. quility!

You and I can do a side-by-side alternator "shoot-out"! Razz
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
I am about to install a "new-not rebuilt" Bosch AL-82N.
It is made in Mexico.
I hope it is of O.E.M. quility!

You and I can do a side-by-side alternator "shoot-out"! Razz

Yeah, I keep hearing about thise. Would love to see how it works.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
Mudpump wrote:
My opinion: The last option is a Chinese alternator i.e. EMPI. Everything I've read about them is bad. A lot of bearing failures. If your planning on keeping the car and/or going on a long trip get it rebuilt or get a Bosch. Personally I don't like rebuilt electrical but if the shop is good is an option. Problem is you never know what they use for parts and what they just paint

I had a "new not rebuilt" Bosch in my bug and it went bad in less than 19,000 miles. Rather than spend another $200+ on a "new not rebuilt" Bosch (plus shipping) I went for an Autozone rebuilt for $74.99. Time will tell.
mine had a new bosch that didnt last. got the rebuilt from autozone witch was a new china unit. over 100000 miles and still worken great , just wish I had got a biger one.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

FYI . . . Both Autozone and O'reilly sell alternators that they refer to, on their website, as "REBUILT" . . . I went to several of their stores to see the alternators for myself and what they actually sell are brand new internally regulated alternators that are made in China!
I consider that to be false advertising!
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

How can you tell it's new and not rebuilt?

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
How can you tell it's new and not rebuilt?

If you are asking me . . . pretty easy to tell the difference between a bead-blasted piece and a freshly machined casting.
A "made in China" sticker is kind of a give away also!

I got the link for O'reilly for VW alternators . . . With a "core" charge and all, It sure leads a person to believe that the alternator is a rebuilt unit! http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Alternato...vi=1280225
Likewise for Autozone . . . http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-cha...ckfit=true
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: dead alternator... replace or repair? Reply with quote

Alternators are pretty easy to rebuild (provided the windings are good and the armature shaft is good) the bearings are the same ones that have been used on Porsche and VW Bosch generators since the 50's They cost about $5 each. VBX 6203 and VBX 6203 If the commutator is good and the end castings hold the bearings tight that's about it mechanically but the electrical. Brushes, cost about $5 and the diodes can be replaced for something like 85 cents each. But they probably won't need it. The little internal regulator circuit board needs to be good as I don't think they are available. As for the 1973.5 74 Motorola alternators go they too are a nice unit and will run nice with a $25 aftermarket external regulator. The Jeep CJ's used them too. I rebuilt mine. "Danwvw Motorola Alternator photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: