Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classic Volkswagen Facebook groups?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Classic Volkswagen Facebook groups? Reply with quote

Hello to all the vw lovers out there! My name is Shelby and I am 24. I am working on restoring a 1962 bug and a 1970 campervan. All of the Facebook groups I have found have been for 1980s-current vws and audis. While I can totally respect that people like different things, those groups are not for me. Does anyone have any recommendations for classic groups that focus strictly on air cooled VWs?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Vintage Volkswagen Club of America.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of VW groups on fb. Do a search on fb using any of the terms, vintage / bus / bug / VW / classic... cheers
Phil 4:13
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hopkin! I had tried searching but there are so many fan pages that I really had to dig for the few groups I could find, and they were mainly newer vws.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the Samba, why would you need to go anywhere else?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You're on the Samba, why would you need to go anywhere else?

Asking for technical advice on Facebook is a bad idea.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen and Brian you both have good points! I've never used a forum like this before but so far it's seeming pretty awesome!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Asking for technical advice on Facebook is a bad idea.

Now that's funny! Very Happy
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samba has probably the best format/layout of any forum site.

Doc, it's bad. It's as bad as having a political debate on facebook.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2362239654/

(VW Westfalia camper buses)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always something interesting going on at our local club garage.

www.facebook.com/NoBudgetGarage.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the facebook groups I have either look at or have belonged to at one point were all local groups who only invite people join if the leader knew them or were friends of someone with good standing in the group already

BTW sometimes this place can be very annoying to ask a technical question on for some people since you get 20 different answer to most of them or you get the standard 'do a search' answer

don't get me wrong this place is full of great info and knowledgeable people but I delete a lot of my posts before even submitting them because I don't to deal with the responses Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
BTW sometimes this place can be very annoying to ask a technical question on for some people since you get 20 different answer to most of them or you get the standard 'do a search' answer

Posting "Do a search" and nothing else is useless.
Report this if you see it.

The only time I post something like that is to actually help someone.
Meaning something like:
Quote:
I searched on ABC and XYZ and found these 3 threads that might help you:
Link to thread #1
Link to thread #2
Link to thread #3
This tells the person to do a search (indirectly) but more importantly tells them what you searched on to actually find some good information.

I do agree with people who say this site (or just the Forum format) is better than Facebook for technical answers.
In a Forum format I can give you links, show you photos, and explain myself in a more complete manner than some short Facebook message.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the length of the answers that's the issue on FB, it's the keyboard warrior anonymity. Post any kind of question and you'll be lucky to get one serious answer and 75 reasons why you suck for asking. Then it'll go completely off track and become something even more unrelated and unreadable.

A forum format typically has a better sense of community, and is better at policing itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've joined two other groups,
LiMBO
And
Vanagon Owners

What I appreciate is that the users are real people with real names.
Sure, they could be lying when they sign up.

I do believe that when one only has a user name with noT using a real identity that you get online personas that would never appear in real life. Bullying, rudeness, etc.

I in general would be in favor of real name use in our forums. I think it would become a kinder gentler place overall.

As far as thesamba vs Facebook? We here have a wonderful resource of information on file, searchable information with years and years of user input, often by qualified posters.
Facebook is more like asking your neighbor if he knows the answer to a question and getting an immediate answer..... Right or wrong.
Often links are given to very real and excellent information found here.

They each have their use and purpose. Thesamba is the New York Times of VW information, The facebook sites are more like VW People Magazine.

And the "use the search" comments so prevelant?
It's just rude.
Help the poor guy, he may be new, he may be old, he may simply not be able to find what he is looking for.

True, we aren't hand holding librarians but simply saying to use the seach is like telling someone on the street who asks you where a particular store is to "get a map" and walk away from them.

All the above is simply my humble opinion.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With data mining etc, I would not use my real name. Too many hints about me in various posts already tho.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the .gov and others arent out to get me
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
simply saying to use the seach is like telling someone on the street who asks you where a particular store is to "get a map" and walk away from them

Perfect example.

What's a map though? Do you mean Google Maps? Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses! I am not concerned with being anonymous because I do public performances at car shows, so that went out the window a long time ago! Also, I would have a hard time trusting an anonymous person to give advice... but that's just me. I am really enjoying the Vintage Volkswagen of America group and got a lot of actual sound advice on rebuilding my 28 solex carb last night. I will definitely be checking out the other groups as well! And the just search it is kind of a joke because there are soo many different pages and groups that pop up, so I greatly appreciate the people who have helped me out! And honestly I'm a 24 year old female new to actually working on engines, so this site is kind of intimidating because I don't want to come off as stupid!
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue the map/street analogy doesn't hold up. If the person had a nice GPS in their hands, it does hold up. The problem isn't that the info isn't out there but that it's usually not obvious and the correct answer might be buried in a hundred idiotic arguments about analogies.

shelbylynn wrote:
Thanks everyone for the responses! I am not concerned with being anonymous because I do public performances at car shows, so that went out the window a long time ago! Also, I would have a hard time trusting an anonymous person to give advice... but that's just me. I am really enjoying the Vintage Volkswagen of America group and got a lot of actual sound advice on rebuilding my 28 solex carb last night. I will definitely be checking out the other groups as well! And the just search it is kind of a joke because there are soo many different pages and groups that pop up, so I greatly appreciate the people who have helped me out! And honestly I'm a 24 year old female new to actually working on engines, so this site is kind of intimidating because I don't want to come off as stupid!

We all started somewhere. I know full well there are some (OK maybe more than just "some") things I've posted 10+ years ago that are dumb as heck. Even now once in a while I have "doh" posts. Most of us that have been around a while can tell the difference between inexperience and stupidity.

I'd say start with finding local groups near you. having been on both, I think forums like The Samba are formatted 50x better than facebook and are more self-policing wheras FB groups tend to have a lot more garbage joiners because they're already logged in to facebook, it's just another button or 2 to join and start spouting crap. I don't think anonymity or the lack therof inhibits the stupid people. As for anonymity, I don't use my real name in my screen name but it is in my sig and I've used the same screen name for about 15 years and almost all the dozens of forums I've joined.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way I'm using my real name on the interwebs, particularly FB. Nothing too weird, I just really, really don't want friends from high school, etc. looking me up. Everyone from childhood that I cared about I'm still in touch with. I have footprints all over the web and wouldn't be hard to find if someone was motivated, but I don't see any reason to help the process.

My wife has something like 900 'friends' on FB, and like most people, 2 or 3 in real life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: