Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 bus interior patterns?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vancec wrote:
OK, he found these numbers in the engine bay:VW-2-22-1850-950

2-22 means it is a Standard Microbus (Type 22)

It sounds like you just read the left side of the plate.
Look for the number in the upper right next to "Fahrgestell-Nr."- that is the VIN #.
It may be harder to read as it is stamped instead of cast in like the other letters and numbers.

Here's a 1956 Panelvan example so you know where to look:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this example, 187039 is the VIN #
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vancec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

Can you post the first three digits of the bus? It maybe a Wolfsburge made bus!

What makes you think it might be a Wolfsburg bus?
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

All buses prior to March of 56 were built at the historical Wolfsburg plant. Practically hand built on a bench before they were put on the assembly line. Cool
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

All buses prior to March of 56 were built at the historical Wolfsburg plant. Practically hand built on a bench before they were put on the assembly line. Cool

Your history lesson is a bit off concerning how they were made. They were on a assembly line since the beginning of PRODUCTION
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vancec wrote:
OK, he found these numbers in the engine bay:VW-2-22-1850-950-1600. Under the plaque: 212076

looks like a 1956 micorbus with VIN 212076.
That VIN means it is a Hanover buildt bus.

It would have been two tone Palm green Sand green back in the day with 3 rows of seats Soft Green interior and cloth headliner. There is a thread on that color bus.

What does the owner wants to do?
Some people want to camp and don't want the three rows of seats.
vancec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's red and the owner hates the color but can't afford a paint job. He also can't afford the extra seats which I assume would cost a small fortune to buy, if they could be found at all. He loves the idea of built-ins so maybe I'll volunteer to help him convert it to a camper. Or maybe a really scaled down version would make more sense. I think his budget is about $0 and I'm willing to help build it but can't foot the bill. Too bad, that sand green 2-tone paint is the best.

Thanks for the info!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted for sale in the classifides in 3...2....1..... Laughing

FISH ON!

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
vancec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, if he was ever going to sell it, I'd be first in line. But his late father left it to him and I hope he and the bus grow old together.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

Your history lesson is a bit off concerning how they were made. They were on a assembly line since the beginning of PRODUCTION

What I meant by "hand built" before they hit the assembly line..
So what your saying is not entirely true.

slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

you do realize this is a photo of people working on the assembly line.....assembling parts together in the step by step process of assembling a bus (the same as was done later at Hannover). it would be interesting to know if even the prototype for the non barndoor was made ( "by hand before being put on a assembly line" ) at the historical wolfsburg plant as earlier models seemed to be done offsite at coach houses?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

you do realize this is a photo of people working on the assembly line.....assembling parts together in the step by step process of assembling a bus (the same as was done later at Hannover). it would be interesting to know if even the prototype for the non barndoor was made ( "by hand before being put on a assembly line" ) at the historical wolfsburg plant as earlier models seemed to be done offsite at coach houses?

I see what your saying but your missing the point as far as Wolfburg being more hands on in craftsmanship in comparison to post Wolfsburg buses. Call me a wierdo but It's guys like me that do appreciate the pioneer era of VW assembly.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:

I see what your saying but your missing the point as far as Wolfburg being more hands on in craftsmanship in comparison to post Wolfsburg buses. Call me a wierdo but It's guys like me that do appreciate the pioneer era of VW assembly.

pioneer era? please.. Vw's were being assembled BEFORE and DURING the war in large amounts, i.e. mass production. If you have a hard on for the 'hand built craftsmanship' of early VW's then you need to be fixated on the aforementioned production eras. By the time VolkswagenWerk was in production of buses (1950) they had a massive production and assembly line factory. When the factory moved to Hannover, it was obviously updated as time had passed. There really is no evidence of any more 'assembled by hand' work on a Wolfsburg 1955 and a Hannover 1956.

please review the factory photos threads, they show the production lines.

your obsession with "wolfy" buses (and their perceived superiority) is very evident in this forum.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

pioneer era? please.. Vw's were being assembled BEFORE and DURING the war in large amounts, i.e. mass production. If you have a hard on for the 'hand built craftsmanship' of early VW's then you need to be fixated on the aforementioned production eras. By the time VolkswagenWerk was in production of buses (1950) they had a massive production and assembly line factory. When the factory moved to Hannover, it was obviously updated as time had passed. There really is no evidence of any more 'assembled by hand' work on a Wolfsburg 1955 and a Hannover 1956.

please review the factory photos threads, they show the production lines.

your obsession with "wolfy" buses (and their perceived superiority) is very evident in this forum.

Ok dude.. Your taking this way far with.. "Obsession", "perceived superiority" . What's next?.. Scud missile nipples??? Oh please do tell..

Just my opinion obviously wether large or small of production.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
slow36hp wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
vancec wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Nice!

am I the only one who sees the actual assembly line to the left in the pic?

the guys in the front of the pic are assembling parts to be put on the buses that are going down the line the same way car factories still do things today

I think the impression that Wolfsburg buses are hand built is because it was a huge transition period with changes happening on a weekly basis which to the less educated on the subject could look like one guy building his buses one way and another guy building his slightly different IMO

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would appear all of the bodies are fixtured moving from jig to jig (on the assembly line) using carts cranes and conveyors or people most likely depending where they are at in the assembly process (line) and their weight.

looking at the line on the same day from a differant angle you can see the door pillars and long sides parts enter the line as shown in the first pic of the guy with the toch and at the other end of the line long sides are moved by hand and cart further down the line. if you look even further you see a body in the jig like the first picture.
the notion that a car company that by 1956 had built over 160,000 buses and in 56 was doing around 250 buses a day scrabbled together off of tables is a sentimental notion. even if a change happened every week that would be 1250 buses between changes
1957 dd kombi
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
What's next?.. Scud missile nipples??? Oh please do tell..

you completely lost me with this rebuttal. Shocked
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vancec wrote:
Now it's red and the owner hates the color but can't afford a paint job. He also can't afford the extra seats which I assume would cost a small fortune to buy, if they could be found at all. He loves the idea of built-ins so maybe I'll volunteer to help him convert it to a camper. Or maybe a really scaled down version would make more sense. I think his budget is about $0 and I'm willing to help build it but can't foot the bill. Too bad, that sand green 2-tone paint is the best.

Thanks for the info!

What does the owner want to do with the bus? Any pics? Does it run and drive?
Many people don't like the way an old bus drives. I fell in love, but not everyone feels the same way. And it is unsafe at any speed, according to Nader.

I had someone scoff at me in a parking lot as I locked up my bus "That look soooo annoying.. actually having to put the key in the locks." Shocked
Does he drive stick shift?
Does he even want to camp?
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So back on topic this bus as a Wolfsburg bus is worth way more money and time than any kid should deal with and all the money it would take to be a good regular car should be spent on some random driver and this needs to stay parked until he can really afford it. That bus is probably worth 18k or more and will as a daily driver cost more to keep going than buying a disposable ride just to keep going
1957 dd kombi
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah scud nipples do sound cool
1957 dd kombi
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
What's next?.. Scud missile nipples??? Oh please do tell..

you completely lost me with this rebuttal. Shocked

^^^
So what does "hard on" mean anyway? Laughing

Go do somethin better with your time already Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: