Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

From CA to TX-How?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neatlypumpair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: From CA to TX-How? Reply with quote

In light of recent economic and agricultural downturns in California, my girlfriend and I are moving to live closer to her mother's family in East Texas. We've got to take a U-haul out there, as well as her mother's 2004 Escape, but we're mulling over how we should get her '70 Bay Window and my '73 Beetle East-bound and down. Any tips on what to bring/how to keep cool/if we should tow one or the other? The Bus has recently been fixed for an oil leak at the pan, as well as for a completely fried clutch, and the Beetle's got what may be a small vacuum leak, but has never overheated, at least with this engine block in it. Any info on good pit-stops for us on the way down, places we may be able to find a good aircooled shop, what spare parts to bring, tools, maybe a line on some fridge parts for a 1970 westie, anything like that would be fantastic. THANKS FOLKS!
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a U-Haul trailer to tow the bus behind the U-Haul with then get a tow bar and tow the bug behind the other car

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
get a U-Haul trailer to tow the bus behind the U-Haul with then get a tow bar and tow the bug behind the other car

You can NOT pull two trailers in California with a normal drivers license. Even if you had the appropriate license the first trailer MUST be a fifth wheel trailer. You can not pull two "bumper pull" trailers. Also once you get over a certain combined weight ALL axles must have working brakes. Meaning when you step on the brakes in the vehicle you're driving every axle touching the ground must also have brakes that apply at the same time.

Plus you'll be going through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Which could all have different laws and restrictions. I'd do a lot of research before you went with that two trailers idea.

Another thing is a lot of streets have weight limits and length limits. So say you get off the freeway to go eat or stop at a grocery store. You could be breaking the law depending on the road you're on. Just more stuff to be aware of.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

You can NOT pull two trailers in California with a normal drivers license. Even if you had the appropriate license the first trailer MUST be a fifth wheel trailer. You can not pull two "bumper pull" trailers. Also once you get over a certain combined weight ALL axles must have working brakes. Meaning when you step on the brakes in the vehicle you're driving every axle touching the ground must also have brakes that apply at the same time.

Plus you'll be going through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Which could all have different laws and restrictions. I'd do a lot of research before you went with that two trailers idea.

Another thing is a lot of streets have weight limits and length limits. So say you get off the freeway to go eat or stop at a grocery store. You could be breaking the law depending on the road you're on. Just more stuff to be aware of.

where does it say the first U-Haul was a trailer???????

I read his post as he was getting a U-Haul truck and answer it that way

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the bug inside the uhaul truck and pull the bus.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

where does it say the first U-Haul was a trailer???????

I read his post as he was getting a U-Haul truck and answer it that way

Yep my bad. I read it as he was driving the Uhaul truck, and towing the bus behind the Uhaul which would be towing the bug. My apologies.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you are having to uproot, but East TX is great! Welcome to the great state.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in east texas are you headed? East Texas is a large area

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Neatlypumpair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094, I'm headed out around Beaumont.

Another issue is what would be economically feasible for us, I'm not too up on uhaul prices so I'll take a look at that.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ACVW folks in the DFW area and several decent repair shops (in case you have any issues as you pass through). Good luck to you on your trip and your move!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U Haul truck can tow the Bus. The Escape can tow the Beetle. I like the tow dolly because it is a lot lighter than a trailer!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with your escape to Free America!
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Lots of ACVW folks in the DFW area and several decent repair shops (in case you have any issues as you pass through). Good luck to you on your trip and your move!

yes and yes.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: