Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar Brackets
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Installing Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar Brackets Reply with quote

Installed the Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar brackets after talking to Thing Shop. This Skid Plat works great for attaching the Front Beam to the front bumper and gives a lot of added strength to the front bumper. Attaches to all 4 front beam bolts and to the front bumper. Have used this tow bar for years towing a BMW 318 behind our Motor Home.
GB
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great and will make hooking up the tow bar a lot easier to do.

Where did you get the tow bar that hooks up to the bumper and do you think it will be as strong as hooking the beetle tow bar up to the front beam?

Thanks
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madkel wrote:
That looks great and will make hooking up the tow bar a lot easier to do.

Where did you get the tow bar that hooks up to the bumper and do you think it will be as strong as hooking the beetle tow bar up to the front beam?

Thanks

I use a bar like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-LB-2-Arms-Universal-A...mp;vxp=mtr
I have had it for years. I just don't like having to crawl under the car to put the VW one on. Also I can check all the connections with out having to crawl under the car. I have used the front beam ones and they are a pain. Plus this one folds up and stores behind the rear seat.
GB
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of vehicles are towed from the front bumper, AS Long As the mount points are tied into the frame(wether it's unibody, or full frame)... Rv folks do it All the time..

POP Had one similar to Billy's on Our Thing back in the day... Never had an issue, never had any tweak age to the bumper/frame...

For the minimum time I tow Our Thing, the beam mount type works Fine for me, although I've got a VW specific flat bed trailer to use now.... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are traveling with a motor home and have a trailer with a car on it is a pain to find a place to park the trailer and the car as they take up so much space. Just unhook the car and park it in front of the motor home. And a lot easier to get going again.
GB
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the look of the factory front skid plate found on military 181, just harder to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
I still like the look of the factory front skid plate found on military 181, just harder to find.

Any pictures of that skid plate? still trying to decide if I should fab up a skidplate, connection between the beam and the bumper, or just buy the thingshop one.

I have a couple stowmaster 5000's I picked up used for about $50-100 each. they make great towbars, because like I said, they fold up to the bumper, and they slid around, so getting it on the ball is really easy. Locks in place when you pull forward.

the mounts also allow removal of the towbar as well.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/stowmaster.html

have used many other types, just like the stowmaster over the rest.... but I would not spend $500 on a new one, they are numerous and can be found for alot less. I even found used base mount for my CR-V pretty easily for $100.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar Brackets Reply with quote

The pictures I posted are of the Thing Shop plate. It bolts to the beam at the bottom bolts and then has a bar that bolts from the top beam bolts to the bumper. The plate is almost as thick as the bumper and is very high quality. I have the brackets bolted to the bumper so the tow bar is just 1 pin in each side and it is ready to go.
GB
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar Brackets Reply with quote

How much do you guesstimate that the skid plate weighs and did you need longer beam bolts?
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Thing Shop Skid Plate and Tow Bar Brackets Reply with quote

Aprox 25 lbs and no did not need longer bolts. I checked the depth and the threads and the bolts do still catch all the frame threads.
GB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: