Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FIXED! Type 4 - First start up, oil sprays from exhaust
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: FIXED! Type 4 - First start up, oil sprays from exhaust Reply with quote

Used T4 engine with unknown hours
ED case (1800 likely)
Stock fuel injection

And I've got a lot of oil spraying from the tail pipe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an engine I purchased from Aeromech with great compression and 0.0032 flywheel endplay, which I set after replacing the clutch disc and dealt with some flywheel/pressure plate issues. Over the weekend I installed the engine into the bus and tonight it ran for the first time while in my possession. I know that it runs well because I saw a YouTube video of it running on an engine stand it did not spray oil like this before. Something that I did likely caused this but I don't know what that is.

I tried starting it yesterday couldn't get it to start because I had the fuel pump wired backwards, which I discovered tonight. I straighten out the wires and it fired right up. It ran poorly for a few minutes while I set the timing. After a few tweaks, it runs very well.

Could my running the fuel pump backwards have caused gas to enter the case perhaps flooding it to allow oil into the exhaust? Not likely but I really am lost as to the potential cause.

I changed the oil breather for one with a good disc that holds pressure when you suck on the little hole.

I took the valve covers off to make sure I was at #1 TDC. Otherwise I haven't touched the valves. The engine came with an Empi points-less distributor which I swapped out for my 205. I'm trying to think about all of the things I've done to this engine to give you clues as to the cause.

The oil from the exhaust is not burnt/white oil. It's gray/blue.

What do you think?

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php

Last edited by BellePlaine on Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like water than oil in the photo.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it constantly spray 'oil' or could this be simply dirty moisture being thrown out from the exhaust?

if it running well, put a piece of cardboard under the exhaust the next time you start it up and see what comes out.

is the exhaust original to the bus, or did it come with the engine?

i've had a couple of vw's that made a stain from dirty moisture in the exhaust, but not as large as that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link to the youtube video of it running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
does it constantly spray 'oil' or could this be simply dirty moisture being thrown out from the exhaust?

if it running well, put a piece of cardboard under the exhaust the next time you start it up and see what comes out.

is the exhaust original to the bus, or did it come with the engine?

i've had a couple of vw's that made a stain from dirty moisture in the exhaust, but not as large as that.

Thanks guys. It might look like water in the photo, but it's oil. I'm wondering if someone poured into my tail pipe last night.

When it is running, it smells rich. When I give it gas, it smokes but again, blue smoke not white.

Here's a link to it running at aeromech's garage.

Link

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like water. Let it run for a bit and see if it stops spitting water out the tailpipe.
Had that happen to my 69 right after I finished building and installing a new 2007cc motor. Pulled it outside to break it in and balance the carbs. Let it sit for a few days in the rain and when I went to fire it up- tsunami! Rain water had partially filled up the aftermarket muffler after (I assume) it had run down the rear corner and directly into the large perpendicular tailpipe opening. Rev the motor a few times and it spits quite a lot of water out. Once it gets hot enough the rest of the water evaporates quickly and all is well again. Now I park the bus in the garage until I get a better exhaust.... or move to a drier climate.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the dipstick. Is the oil level too high? Does it smell like gas?

Was the motor on its side at anytime?

Good luck
Tcash
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same carburetor? same exhaust? anything changed between video and your installation?
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
same carburetor? same exhaust? anything changed between video and your installation?

Here's a laundry list of things that I've done to this engine:
*notched the head at the #3 spark plug well to accept a CHT sender ring.
*installed fan housing cooling flaps and thermostat
*changed spark plugs. Tighten to torque spec.
*changed oil filter
*installed a 914 taco plate and oil temp sender (had to trim the oil dipstick to fit).
*swapped the Progressive carb for the stock fuel injection from my old engine. Torqued intake manifold to spec.
*swapped in a spare oil breather that holds suction at the little hole in the disc.
*swapped the empi distributor for my stock 205.
*tidied up the wiring of the car-side of the dual relay for the fuel injection. Re-crimped most of the connections.
*re-torqued the heads to spec.
*added 20-50w oil.
*had the oil screen cover off but couldn't get the screen out so I left it for now. Replaced the lower gasket and crush washer.

Last edited by BellePlaine on Wed May 13, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Pull the dipstick. Is the oil level too high? Does it smell like gas?

Was the motor on its side at anytime?

Good luck
Tcash

I pulled the dipstick. The level isn't high but to be honest, I added about 3 and a partial quarts of oil. With the new oil filter, my usual procedure is to add 3+ quarts and top-up in the morning after some time to let the oil level settle. The dipstick smells like mostly oil with a touch of gas.

I don't know if it's been on its side at all. It was very well packaged for transit and wasn't damaged when I took possession of it.

The stain on the driveway and the stuff dripping from the tailpipe is viscous. I'm sure that it's oil.

BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to my having run the fuel pump backwards, the gas tank is just about completely full. Could I have flooded the case with gas after a few start attempts last night? Not sure if my battery started with a full charge but I ran it dead. I was hunting for what I thought was a timing issue.

Last edited by BellePlaine on Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Interesting that there is all that oil and no smoke! As you can see mine starts smoking before it even starts see at 1:18 into video. I had put a ounce of oil in each barrel of the carbs. No liquid came out. Yours must be something in you tail pipe perhaps rain water! Or you have a piston with a big hole in it.
http://youtu.be/VPCZXrjg8iM But I doubt it, no smoke!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that was oil you would have a big cloud of grey-white smoke. Pull the plug wires one at a time on the distributor and see if one cylinder is weak. If it is check the plug wire and plug as that may be raw gasoline spitting out.

Was the engine shipped with an exhaust on it? That is the only way it could get oil into it, and the heat from the exhaust would burn it off in a cloud of smoke.

Usually start up condensation also leaves stains and feels oily. I would run it for a trip around the block - maybe a mile or two at the most and see if the spitting stops.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like oil the way it is looks on the floor! But No smoke! There must be no compression on a cylinder or the oil is just somehow wound up in the muffler. Yes good Idea to check that it's firing on each cylinder. If they are good, I would drive it! It should burn out and be fine!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Type 4 - First start up,oil sprays from exhaust Reply with quote

*swapped oil breather that holds suction at the little hole in the disc.

-I don't know exactly what that means, but carbed type 4s like an
unrestricted breather to the intake/air cleaner, I would re-mount
aeromech's set-up & go from there. It sounded/looked decent
in the video you posted.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch the stuff on the floor with your fingers? If its oily it will be slippery? Pretty easy?

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the normal oily, sooty, watery crap that comes out of the tail pipe of an engine when you first fire it up cold. I wouldn't worry about it. If your old engine had a cylinder or two the wasn't firing and/or was burning a lot of oil it may have dumped a lot of oil into the exhaust as well.
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help everybody. This exhaust set up was on the engine when it arrived. There was only a minor amount of engine oil in the case during transport yet perhaps some oil made its way to the muffler. I haven't yet driven the car other than up and down the driveway so I'll take it for a spin and report back over the weekend.

The engine still runs and sounds like it did in the video so while I'm concerned, I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could my running the fuel pump backwards have caused gas to enter the case perhaps flooding it to allow oil into the exhaust? Not likely but I really am lost as to the potential cause.
This would not flood the case. The pump would not run. I never heard of one running backward. Even if it did, it would suck fuel out of the engine.

If you suspect the oil has fuel in it. Change the oil and fill it right to the mark. So you can keep an eye on it.

Pull the plugs and inspect. Are they oily or due they have black soot on them?

Drive it to get it up to temp and burn off the oil in the exhaust. If the oil persist further testing is required.

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Gary ran fogging oil in it before shipping it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: