Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water cooled info "forum"
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cncwhiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Water cooled info "forum" Reply with quote

First off I am not going to the dark side. I bought my daughter a 2001 golf gls. I am hunting for information and a good source for parts. Can anybody help me out??
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwvortex.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Cooled forum here on the samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

perhaps more links here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455220

yes, www.vwvortex.com
cncwhiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Water Cooled forum here on the samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

perhaps more links here:

yes, www.vwvortex.com

The vwvortex seems like it has a bunch of tech stuff which is what I need. This car has the motor in the wrong place for the samba. Don't see a whole lot of differences between the ricers and water cooled vw's.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cncwhiz wrote:
Don't see a whole lot of differences between the ricers and water cooled vw's.

and you won't. watercooled flat hat saggy pant hipster douc*ebags are just as cheap as aircooled guys.

if you want the car to work correctly, use only OEM parts when it comes to electronics. trust me...I can't tell you how many people try to save money and introduce nothing but problems when trying to "save" money.

get a good scanner. lots of operations require the reset of adaptations cheap tools can't do.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on doing much of the wrenching and diagnostics, a Bently Manual and VAG-Com cable are the two best tools you can get yourself. Having owned a water-cooled VW (mkI's, II's and III's and worked on IV's for a bit) since '83, the correct tools are a must. And generic scanners are crap when it comes to diagnostics on the mkIV and later cars.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cncwhiz wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

perhaps more links here:

yes, www.vwvortex.com

The vwvortex seems like it has a bunch of tech stuff which is what I need. This car has the motor in the wrong place for the samba. Don't see a whole lot of differences between the ricers and water cooled vw's.

There are many of us on the Samba, that have watercooled stuff too.
My list of watercooled is almost as long as my list of aircooled.
currently still wrench on a Scirocco 2 (MK1 suspension/MK2 drivetrain & electronics) and now a B7 Passat wherever that fits in.

My whole issue with Vortex is that while there is a wealth of information, it takes me a lot of time to weed out the stance/airbag posts before I can find the good information when searching.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
My whole issue with Vortex is that while there is a wealth of information, it takes me a lot of time to weed out the stance/airbag posts before I can find the good information when searching.

That's a perfect instant summary.

I like going there but I really need to take a deep breath and have time on my hands. I also wish they would split the Golf and Jetta forums. I realize there are obvious carryovers per each generation between the two, but specific Golf-only or Jetta-only questions get lost sometimes.

On the other hand, there are specific forums elsewhere for many water-cooled subjects such as Eos, TDI, Touareg, etc. Vortex is good for what it is. One could the same thing for here with stance/slammies. There is just less overall traffic here, so weeding is less intense.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis,
Also, here, more of us work on our own stuff.

Not many discussions about "what do I need to tell my mechanic" and more:
How do I troubleshoot this.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: