Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top end rebuild/performance upgrade questions??
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Top end rebuild/performance upgrade questions?? Reply with quote

67 delux bus we purchased a year ago came with a stock 1600 of unknown history. It ran pretty good all fall with the exception of fouling plugs(solex not properly adjusted, & 009) and serious oil leaks at the pushrods tubes, so while I got it out I'm redoing the top end as follows:

AA thickwall 88s slip in the case
L3 heads or Kaddyshack KS1000s
40 idfs or 36 dells
1.25 rockers
Tri mill exhaust with j-tubes.....maybe 1-3/8 sidewinder if available
Inlet/outlet 26mm oil pump(CB Perf)

What do you think of the above upgrades?
Also when I pull the heads and measure the deck height on the current 85s can I assume that deck height will be the same with the AA 88s? The reason I ask is because both Aircooled.net and Kaddyshack ask what cc would you like on your heads in order to dial in my desired c.r....8.25-8.75 range. This way I can order everything at once rather than the p/c 1st then the heads later after I figure the deck height.
Or better yet perhaps someone can recommend head cc to get me within my c.r. range!

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild/performance upgrade questions?? Reply with quote

the head CC is independent to the deck height. So order the heads with the TARGET CR AND DH that you are aiming for. Then use the shims to achieve that DH.

Running some quick #s, to get 8.5:1 and .060" DH you need 47cc.

I like to see heads with bigger chambers than that (for use on bigger engine in future).

51cc goes to 8:1 exactly.

If you also tighten DH to .040" and 51cc, you get 8.3:1.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the AA 88's in the past and remember they had less deck than stock 85.5's. .035 - .040" if I recall. Each engine is different though and you need to mock up and measure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd order the P&Cs and do a quick mock up to check the current DH, then you'll know where you are at.

The reason is what are you going to do if you order everything at once, and then during your mock up you find your deck height is .090"?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deck on an untouched AE case with .010 cylinder shim and 88 AA's is .062

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled the heads and 1600p/c off this engine and there is a lot oil and grime buildup above and below the cylinders. I plan to clean up this area as well as the entire shortblock. Some degreaser and water will get into the motor....will this be a problem?
What's the best way to cleanup a shortblock that you just want to rebuild the topend?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickwall 88(AA'S) I built last had .054 deck out of the box. I added 49cc heads...8.3:1. Done

link...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519555&highlight=thickwalls
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam

Last edited by MURZI on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gasket kit is only $25. I would tear the block apart and clean everything.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sense there are no experienced VW machine shops near me which method would you choose to get fullflow.
This
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=3059

or

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1798

Thanks
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight deck and 8,3 - 1 CR is what I would do on such engine.
36 Dells.
That FF thing is nice. HOWEVER, it reduces the efficiency of the stock cooler, because the oil bypasses more. Then you need a relatively large external cooler to make up for that.

T
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the in/out filter. They always seem to leak a lot.

Use this: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-26mm-Maxi-2-Filter-Oil-Pumps-1791-1792-p/1791-1792.htm

Then if you need extra cooling you can use a sandwich thermostat along with one of his super short filters, and still have room for stock heaterboxes.

T
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the Maxi pumps not all of the oil gets filtered, some oil can bypass the filter. I never trusted those style pumps
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a bus ,I would ff it.add a ext cooler,use a 30mm pump, go throught the entire engine or you are wasting time&$$ get the right cam&lifter combo for the app.I would also go with the 40 hpmx's.there new..040 deck+-.005 . 40x35 stainless valves.8.5 cr. extra oil gally&sloted lifter bores. fully balanced assy, groove mains for better oiling. copper head gadgets,if it were mine i would also add some stroke to help push that bus around easyer.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark...my original intent was to just take care of some oil leaks that required removal of the heads and get in a few upgrades like heads and carbs that could be reused in a small stroker(74 x 90.5) that I'll build this winter along with the installation of a new wire harness.
Just completed a 4 wheel disc brake conversion using Porsche 944 parts, converted to IRS beetle rear suspension and tranny and installed a Womack 4" adjustable front beam. The wife says shes spent a lot of $$$ on this bus and she's ready to ride. The $3000 plus dollars it will take to build a proper engine like the one you discribed will be done when the bus goes back in the garage in Nov.
Working 10-12hr work days, maintaining a yard, and visiting elderly relatives on weekends means anything I do to the bus that could be done in a day turns into a couple of weeks.....just want to make the wife happy so she can enjoy it while the weather is nice.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is clean the shortblock and mock up #1 cylinder. Then I'd go with 50cc/.050 for 8.3cr. Send in your cylinder to get milled if necessary. Have a chance to take a look at what cam is in there yet?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
What I would do is clean the shortblock and mock up #1 cylinder. Then I'd go with 50cc/.050 for 8.3cr. Send in your cylinder to get milled if necessary. Have a chance to take a look at what cam is in there yet?

It's a stocker and was in the bus when we purchased it. Ran OK besides oil leaks at all the pushrod tubes. I could have just put it back together as is and just replaced pushrods and seals since the heads are not hurt. I figure even with a stock cam a 1700 with either a set of LN3 or KaddieShack KS1000 which have 40x35 valves, 40 webbers, and performance exhaust should make an easy 65mph.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40x35's on that combo will be a mistake.... I have built this combo a couple of times. (once with 40x35's) The stock valves will give you much more lower end grunt. The engine will be way more snappy with stock valves. trust me......
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
40x35's on that combo will be a mistake.... I have built this combo a couple of times. (once with 40x35's) The stock valves will give you much more lower end grunt. The engine will be way more snappy with stock valves. trust me......

How much of a mistake?? I ask because I would like to reuse these heads when I build a small stroker around 1900 to 2000cc and the heads will probably not have 500 miles on them when I take them off the 1700cc engine.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with stock cam and 1.25's..... 415ish lift. .315x1.31 This screams stock head to me. No bottom end. Not what you want in a bus.

If you are going to build a bigger engine later, buy the heads for THAT engine based on ITS cam, compression, purpose.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those AA's come with valve pockets?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: