Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first kit car... umm truck
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
starving030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: My first kit car... umm truck Reply with quote

I'm new to the VW world so I can't say much about this thing because I don't know much. I was told by the guy I got it from that it is a 67 with a 62 engine in it. It's gonna be a project for my son and I to fix up. It runs and does have all the legal lighting, very crude setup but there. After some significant research I'll decide where I should start on the restoration. I've never seen one of these before and it is super hard to find much about it.

Anywho, here it is. My Mini 18.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erchyll, yn syml erchyll.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the back end. But there is a whole lotta front end and every inch of it is ugly.

Is if a kit car?, for a Bug?
What's the game plan?

I guarantee you will be unique at any show you go to.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me those stacks work!
starving030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This is a body kit for a bug. You were supposed to cut the back off and add the fake bed, from what I can tell by looking in the rear wheel well. I'm not sure about the front. I haven't dug that deep into it yet. I plan to shorten the front by about 8 to 12 inches. I thought about moving the front fenders where the headlights are mounted back an extra few inches so the grill and fenders aren't flush. I also want to give all the angles on the front end a little more radius so it's not quite so boxy looking. I'm pretty sure the stacks aren't working. From what I was told the guy who started this kit never finished. If you do a web search for "VW Mini 18" a few completed ones come up but not many at all. They look pretty sharp once they are done and done right, with care.

I was able to dig this up online after some searching that shows the original prices for this kit.

I suppose once I get started on it I will start a build thread if there is an interest in that sort of thing on here.

Any ideas on what I should do to it would be great.

VW Logo
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I just googled some images of a Mini 18. It is amazing what a couple of stripes of paint will do to disguise that big ass nose. Those pickup trucks looked really good. Looks like the only difference between those truck and your butt ugly truck is a couple of lines of paint to break up that vast expanse of nose.

After googling some images I am thinking that is going to be a great looking truck.
earp53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first kit car... umm truck Reply with quote

I'm actually Brian Earp that the helped with the bangshift article. I've been looking for info all over about these things but there isnt much out there from what ive seen. Here's a few more recent pics of the car as I've been building it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: