Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 semi build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks! Mine doesnt have that! Must be why mine is able simply wander at will and tough to get latched. I will source a new (or used) one right away!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I fixed the hood latch no problem, but am now getting killed by the dash chrome.
Anyone seen or have a better solution than these pieces of crap??!! They simply will not lock into place. I reamed the holes, paint isnt thick, but they just wont go in and stay in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

I have the car all together now. Carb rebuilt, lights all working pretty well (as good as 6v is gunna get). Just got my order with the last few little items to finish it up. Got the beam adjusters, caster shims, and tie rod ends so I can get it lowered. So I went in today and tore it down. I forgot how much work it is getting the old front ends apart. But I got it apart, cleaned, blasted, adjusters welded in, painted, and the trailing arms put back on and everything tightened down. Pulled apart the king and link and all the zerks to clean a dig all the crud out of the passages so it will take fresh grease. Spindles and steering box are painted and drying so I can get it back together tomorrow. Getting the clamps back on the sway bar was a huge pain. Also had to use a hammer and punch to get the speedo cable out. Hope its ok! Painted the beam and arms semi gloss black, the spindles and steering box are cast iron grey (looks silver in the pics), and I will paint the brake drums and backing plate semi gloss black too. I painted the tie rod arms semi gloss black with cast grey ends. Im hoping the contrast in color stands out a little.

63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

My 62 has 2 finger apron my 58 parts has 3 the dash trim on both of mine dose not have clips like what yours pics show if that helps
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

I ended up putting the clips on the car, then sliding the trim over them.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Got the rest of the parts blasted and painted. Put the beam in and assembled everything. Turns out the tie rod ends I got were wrong, so they are just in finger tight so I can move it around. Other than that it is done. Suspension works much better now than it did before. Things were all crudded up and not moving well. Things are clean and all lubed up now. I actually have some action in the front now. Before you could push it down and it would kind of just stay there. Getting some new shocks to throw on when I do the tie rod ends as well. Next weekend the engine comes out to paint the tins and install the new tar boards. Going to go one outer in the back when I do the engine.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Was sitting like this.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Based on how much you can see I lowered the car (adjusters only) do I need to use caster shims? I bought 2 of them in my last order but I didnt put them in because I didnt plan to run it that low. Do you think I should put them in?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Powerwashed as much as I could reach under the engine and around the inside brake area to get some of the heavy gunk loose. Pulled the engine to clean it up and plast/paint the tins. I got new tar board and will paint where the PO left the original red on it. Also got all new seals for the engine compartment. I will be blasting under it and painting everything that I can. Heat riser has a pin hole and the otherside looks to have been welded before. I will blast it and repair what needs done. I dont want to replace it at this point because I am considering putting a bigger engine in it down the road.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Got a bit more work done tonight. Pulled the tins off the engine, blasted them, epoxy prime, and painted. I used some industrial single stage on them hoping they dont look over restored like when you use base/clear. This stuff is tough as nails, but it super sucks to spray. I hate it! You have to spray it right on the edge of runs for it to lay out. 99% chance there will be runs in it when I go in tomorrow. I used SPI epoxy on it first and it has to have a 30 minute induction period before spraying, so I took that time to degrease the rest of the engine and power wash it.
Tomorrow I will go in, pull the exhaust, valve covers, and intake to blast it and paint. Blast the gen stand and fuel pump as well. Gunna do some re-sealing too while im at it. Also going to prep and paint the engine compartment if there is time.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Worked for a few more hours on it tonight and got a bit more done. Took the intake, muffler, heat exchangers, clamps, bottom tins, and valve covers off and blasted them. Everything got epoxy primer and paint. Did black on the tins and valve covers, cast iron grey on the heat exchangers, clamps, and muffler, and warm grey on the intake. Im considering the warm grey for the heat exchangers and muffler too because I believe that is closeer to correct. Not sure if I will bother or not since there is a chance the cast will burn off the exhaust parts and that color is more readily availiable to me. So it would be easier to touch up down the road if it were cast.
Tomorrow I pull the trans and spring plates to blast and paint. Blast and paint the rest of the rear suspension. Blast and paint the area of the floor up under the trans. Throw the trans back in (one spline lower on the spring plates) and paint the engine compartment. The rest of the week I will put sound deadener on the firewall and install my new tarboard and put the engine back together and back in the car. Valve covers are badly pitted, so I didnt do much with them. Will just buy some new ones instead.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

I didnt get to the shop as early as I wanted to so I didnt get much done. But im chipping away at it. Powerwashed the underside and trans and engine bay like crazy again to get more crud off. Sanded and painted the engine bay so its not red anymore. Blasted and painted the rest of the engine parts and loosly assembled the engine so its not laying all over the shop getting damaged. So now all I have to do is pull the trans and blast it and the rest of the rear suspension and get it all painted. Also want to paint the pan while the trans and spring plates are off. Then plunk the engine and trans back in and bleed the brakes Hope to have it dont next weekend.

MomoMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Looking great! Jealous of your paint booth/shop set up! It is in the 20's outside, and going in the garage could render tools stuck to your hands from freezing in them....sigh. Love seeing others making some great progress in winter. I like the look on how you have the car sitting, but do not have an answer on the caster question you asked about.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Dont be too jealous, thats my work....not my house. So now instead of just spending all day there...I get to spend all day and all night there. Its been hot as hell here! I was soaked in sweat after painting/clearing a roll bar and I did the engine compartment on the bug during flash times on the roll bar. Had to have been 85 today. Hot! Im from Iowa so I really still am not used to this crazy weather here in Florida.
Im just going to put the caster shims in I think. Im sure it will help. If I keep chipping away at this I should be driving it by the end of the weekend. Not much left to do. Clean and paint the rear suspension and trans, lower it one outer spline, and plunk the engine back in.
I know I love pics, so here is the engine compartment. It was just a quick mix on the blue because you cant see it anyway once the tarboard is in place so I didnt care if it matched (the part that showes in there was masked off).

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Chipping away...chipping away. I was going to pull the trans, but decided to leave it in and do the best I could that way. Blasted everything up around the rear suspension, trans, and above the trans. Painted the suspension and undercoated the floor. I wanted to lower the spring plates before painting it, but on the lift it was lifting the car when I tried to raise the spring plates. So I will just put the engine in first, then the weight should hold it down (pivot point much closer to the back on the 2 post lift. If that still doesnt work I will just take it off the lift and do it. I also finished assembling the engine/exhaust.
So tomorrow I will put the new trans mounts on, engine back in, lower the spring plates one outer notch and bleed the brakes. Should be back on the road before I leave tomorrow. My wife and daughter are throwing a family new years eve party that starts at 5 today so I had to leave early or I would have had more done. Oh well...one more day (I hope).

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

I think it looks great. Keep the updates coming.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Looking great and I still miss my Bahama Blue 1965 that SWMBO learned to drive stick on. I married her because of that, and she happened to be atomic hot too. She still is 31 years later!

Nice painting work and I love the two tone!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Looking great and I still miss my Bahama Blue 1965 that SWMBO learned to drive stick on. I married her because of that, and she happened to be atomic hot too. She still is 31 years later!

Nice painting work and I love the two tone!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

Thanks. This is a build Im doing for my wife. She wanted 2 tone. Pretty much finished it up today! Unfortunately with the 155/80 tires that came on it (I wanted to keep them because they are like new) when I lowered it, it just doesnt look right. They are too big for the front, and too small for the back. I may get it back in the air and do some inner/out spline combo to get it back up just a little bit higher. Somewhere in between stock and where it is now (one outer spline). Just have to go in tomorrow and replace the fuel line and change the engine oil and the trans oil. I will have to have one of the guys help me get the decklid on Monday when they come back.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 semi build thread Reply with quote

I was going to say that the engine looks really good, but you need to replace those lines!! Not sure if Daytona air cooled carries the stock fabric wrapped type but Triangle here in Orlando does.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: