Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found out what locked the motor up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4campn wrote:
Yes I do know about that light. That was why I was very often checking the oil level. Granted it was only the third time we drive the bus who knows how much the PO did without it. He daily drive it to school according to him the way I got it is how he did. Me I didn't see the red light not knew about it till it was too late.

As you have unfortunately learned the hard way, the light and the oil level don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. The light is not an oil level light, it is an oil pressure light. It will come on if the oil pressure drops to an unsafe level while running, or in your case you probably would have seen it flickering which would have indicated a problem which you could have taken steps to resolve before it trashed the engine.

For future reference, both those warning lights are critical on your engine. The oil pressure light for reasons you have already learned and the alternator warning light. In most engines if the alternator warning light comes on it's no big deal because you know you can continue driving and eventually the battery will discharge but you will probably make it home.

HOWEVER on this engine the cooling fan is on the same shaft as the alternator so if that light comes on while driving you need to IMMEDIATELY pull over and shut down and find out what happened. If the belt broke, you cannot drive further until you replace it else you'll kill the engine by running it with no cooling. If the belt is good then carry on your merry way. But that warning light needs to be working else you won't know when your belt breaks until it's too late.

Oh well, live and learn. Do yourself a favor and pick up this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-air-Coole...to+rebuild

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Packed full of great info which will be invaluable to you as you do the rebuild.
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah lesson learned the hard way.....or a reason to upgrade although before willing and ready Razz

I have that book on order currently and waiting for it as well as the how to keep your volkswagen alive book too. Which is what I used to tear this engine apart and is a great book.

As far as warning lights go that was one of the things on the list to fix as the dash light covers are melted and unreadable. Might look into switching from the 73 bus dash over if that will work.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4campn wrote:
Oh yeah lesson learned the hard way.....or a reason to upgrade although before willing and ready Razz

I have that book on order currently and waiting for it as well as the how to keep your volkswagen alive book too. Which is what I used to tear this engine apart and is a great book.

It's an OK book I think, good for beginners but you should also pick up the official manual (a/k/a the Bentley) for those times when you need hard-hitting data like specs, numbers and factory procedures.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/RepairManuals.html

I like this one the most, but good luck finding it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP now knows:
1) All the poor parts choices to eliminate/replace when rebuilding the engine (replace those thin-walled 87mm bolt-on cylinders, too)

2) The primary cause of bearing failure (hole in top of pick-up)

.. and I know who I'd want along on a Baja surf adventure ;^)

Wildthings wrote:
... pulled off at a lonely intersection somewhere north of Reno, drained the oil, and pulled the plate to see what was going on and discovered the loose nut. My 10mm wouldn't do the job as is, so I added come extra bend to it with a hammer and ground a hunk away from one side to get extra clearance by wearing it away on a rock. ...

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ease and quickness to get back in the road I'm going to by this 73 super beetle. Yes I will be doing the correcting actions for the over heating too. Trying to head out to the bug out this Sunday. I figure it should be as simple as bolt into the bus if I'm understanding these little guys correctly.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few minor things that you'll need to change, but overall it's almost a bolt in job. Post up some pics when you get it out so we can guide you towards a long lived installation.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4campn wrote:
.... I figure it should be as simple as bolt into the bus if I'm understanding these little guys correctly.

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but the old,'VW's are easy to work on, cuz it is only 4 bolts to pull the motor" is why so many VW's die.
Take your time, ask questions and do maintenance research, and you'll be fine.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
Don't want to sound like a jerk, but the old,'VW's are easy to work on, cuz it is only 4 bolts to pull the motor" is why so many VW's die.

Seriously, we're all here to help and poke at each other. So, better doing it right the first time so you can enjoy more of the road.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Found out what locked the motor up Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent documentation 4campn,
dropped & stripped & solved in four pages, with images.
Reminds me of a Rod Stewart song:Every picture tells a story, don't it?
Enjoy the campn!
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
4campn wrote:
.... I figure it should be as simple as bolt into the bus if I'm understanding these little guys correctly.

haha yeah i know what you mean. and that isn't at all what i meant either. the whole who cares mindset. what i was talking about was I've never driven, looked under the hood or anything of a VW until i drove this one. 5 days later motor breaks Crying or Very sad . tear it out and completely apart and in half at that. that was all i meant. I'm sure you saw where i want to actually take care of the issues that lead to the over heating as well as the sensors that wasn't hooked up. my goal is reliable and daily driver with some pep in the long term.
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Found out what locked the motor up Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Thanks for the excellent documentation 4campn,
dropped & stripped & solved in four pages, with images.
Reminds me of a Rod Stewart song:Every picture tells a story, don't it?
Enjoy the campn!

your welcome. images help others help me too. just glad to figure out the actual cause with that pick up tube. I'm sure it didn't run at it coolest either which didn't help.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Question to those more knowledgeable than I... how is it that just one bearing wasted? Why not most of them??

because look at the main journal. it feeds 2 rods. guess which one gets the oil last

there are differences in crank/bearing combo's too. the "teardrop" cranks have a different bearing than the rifle drilled ones

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
There's a few minor things that you'll need to change, but overall it's almost a bolt in job. Post up some pics when you get it out so we can guide you towards a long lived installation.

Here is the engine just pulled out of the beetle. So what all is it that it will take to get the bus running. At least for the weekend for bug out and camping next weekend?

austinb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4campn wrote:

Here is the engine just pulled out of the beetle. So what all is it that it will take to get the bus running. At least for the weekend for bug out and camping next weekend?

oh wow. lots of beer for sure. Popcorn

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619771

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=24562
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I see anywhere to bolt on the rear engine hanger. Are there better or younger eyes out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct, no bosses. Good luck man.

I would get all that tin blasted and coated though.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
4campn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there isn't. Thinking I could drill and put some helicoils in there?? Then if it don't line up guess it'll be time to fire up the welder. Thoughts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those later cases have all the bosses, some only have a couple. If you are confident with the drill and Helicoils and it has all 3 then drill and tap it, if it's short one you'll need an adaptor, sometimes you can combine the adaptor with the case bosses for an even stronger installation. Regardless the adaptor makes a perfect drilling guide whether you use after it or not.

You'll also need to swap that front tin, if you want the heat to work you'll likely need your old heat exchangers and muffler, one of those is missing it's lever and the other won't connect to your cables easily. The twin tip muffler will gas you out in the cabin if your hatch seal has the tinyest leak.
I can't find a pic of your old clutch, if it has a ring in the middle you'll have to swap the pressure plate too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can do that but it's risky. I personally would not, but I also like to go fast and have bullet proof stuff. I would definitely want to measure 6 times and drill once. Welding the case to redrill sounds like a bad bad idea. I would get the oil filter adapter man.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: