Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MN Vanagon trouble
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: MN Vanagon trouble Reply with quote

I just got done rebuilding a 1983.5 Vanagon. Gaskets rings seals pumps coils spark plugs and wires. It's all new. I am a first time owner. I used the Bently to get through the rebuild. Now everything rolls over. I have spark gas and compression. I just got done adjusting the timing. Pretty sure I had it. But it doesn't start no matter what I do. Andy thoughts or knowledgable people I could contact in the Twin Cities that could help a guy out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go back to basics. Double check tdc. Got tdc on compression stroke? Ok now check valves. You can have gas spark and compression but if not at the right time no fire. Oh and then make sure rotor is pointing at the number one plug connection on the distributer cap.
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: MN Vanagon trouble Reply with quote

Yeah I checked timing today. Thought I was going to get it. I did try to find TDC. I used the notch and that should be TDC right. Then I looked at the rotor and it was at 5 o'clock and that's where my number 1 went. Then 432. Still off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point i would want to know mechanically where tdc is . Pull #1 plug and feel for the pressure escaping the plug hole. Then comparing all factors rotor, valves, notch etc.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a compression gauge? You said you have compression. What are your numbers. My point is that if you did not adjust your rockers correctly then you could have valves hanging open. The compression test will give some numbers. I would also pull your valve covers and use a flashlight to make sure your push rods are seated properly. They are tough to get seated correctly on the first try.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the Twin Cities, shoot me a pm if you want some help.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at where u think is tdc, stick a probe thru plug hole , is piston up, then see iif #1cyl, BOTH valves closed then check plug wires to be correct order AND #1 has rotor pointing at it regardless where this may be, if don't match bently possibly dizzy drive gear a few teeth off, not important if u verify the above.if ok have someonrcrank mtr check 4 spark at at a plug (s) if ok here next is if pump runs, injectors spray fuel, .
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: MN Vanagon trouble Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the help. The Kustomizingkid stopped up and I think we are both stumped. Compression is all good I have spark and gas. It doesn't want to fire over even with starter spray. What am I missing. Is there anything else I should be checking for?
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went up and checked the van out. When I got there it had no compression on one bank and timing was off. Reset timing and verified with a timing light, cranking over. Reset the pushrods on the 1/2 bank of cylinders. It has an even 75 psi on all four cylinders which is a little low, but not too crazy for a never ran fresh rebuild.

Even compression on all 4 cylinders.
Spark verified on all 4 cylinders.
Timing check with a light on #1.
Fuel Verified to be spraying from injector.
Maf had suspect reading for the air meter side, correct for air temp.
Plug wires on correctly, rotor points at #1 at TDC

The strangest part is it didn'f even puff or pop with a small shot of starter fluid. I don't think I have ever seen a motor with spark not at least pop a little with starter fluid. I an totally stumped by that.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS odd. Agree on the starting spray - compression alone will practically set that stuff off.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that should at least make it puff a little
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rotate all the wires 180° around the cap and see what that does. Easy to reverse if that doesn't make it run.

Are you getting the smell of raw fuel coming out the tail pipe?
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is spot on... Checked with a timing light. Dunno how the others could possibly be wrong.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustomizingkid wrote:
#1 is spot on... Checked with a timing light. Dunno how the others could possibly be wrong.

#1 will also appear to be spot on when it is actually 180° out on the cap. Having the wires be 180° out is all too common and gives the symptoms you are seeing.
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did t make a diff
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So close! keep at it. Did you push the rotor down in the dizzy? happened to me once. A friend drove 2.5 hrs over to help fix the van, and all he had to do was pop that rotor down. heh, we got beers early.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
bus bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just took the distributor cap off to inspect things for the 5th time. It looks bad and even one of the firing spots is covered by a small piece of plastic. So I am getting a new one. That may be a reason why it isn't firing and the reason it sounds like it's missing!
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
kustomizingkid wrote:

#1 will also appear to be spot on when it is actually 180° out on the cap. Having the wires be 180° out is all too common and gives the symptoms you are seeing.

Durr... I getcha

I am very on top of inline 4 vw's, diesel and gas from 75-04... Wbx not so much.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a couple strips of masking tape, one on dizzy,( put alignment marks on tape 4 your starting spot) another beside it on a handy spot on block. Loosen dizzy clamp so u can turn by hand, have somr crank over eng while u turn dizzy cw to start and see if u get cyl firing, none try other way. Have had to do this sometimes to get a eng run starting point.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When finding tdc via feeling the pressure escaping the plug hole watch for the intake valve having just opened and then close just before you feel the air escape. Just did this recently on a friends aircooled to find the distributer 180 off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: