Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine options .... !
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: engine options .... ! Reply with quote

89 with about 100,000 ...

So this is a bit premature, I noticed on my last trip I used about 1/2 to a cup of water. The loss could be a variety of things. loose hose ect or could be a leak. I am going to figure it out today. It started me thinking because I will have to decide sometime in the near future.

If my heads need a reseal its going to cost about $1500 in parts with all the might as well do this now. Closer to $2500 if I pull the motor and do the rings ect.

A rebuilt GoWesty will cost about $5000, tax ect maybe a few dollars more.

or a subaru conversion.

I likely could just pull the heads reseal and get by for another 50 to 80k and be done with it in a weekend

What I am wondering from those who have been down this road before and have spent the money what is the best course to take...

Now keep in mind in the coming year maybe sooner I want to take the van into S America and do some extended trips. if spending a few dollars extra buys me some piece of mind and maybe a few percent on the might not break scale I would likely spend the cash as insurance!

I do not want to spend $17,000 on a Subaru conversion so if I ever go that route I will have to do a conversion myself. Which is why I am eyeing a GoWesty motor.

I am kind of looking for a ball park answer and that if your going to spend the cash to do this you might as well .... I am asking because almost always do i find out after I could have taken a different path and go more out of my dollars.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GW 2.2 about 3 years ago for my 85. I had funds to do a conversion or the GW and I chose to keep it stock (pretty much) no regrets. I would have gone with a tencent or Rocky Jennings, but GW had engines on the shelf so no wait. Getting it ready for its second trip out west 10k+ mile.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Popcorn Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236052#6236052
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get prepared for the "this has been discussed ad nauseam" posts.

Are you mechanically inclined / have lots of money? If not I wouldn't do a conversion. Why? Because you will be the mechanic and you will either need to get really good at that or be willing to pay big $$ to have someone else do it for you.

Regarding engines. Considering your plans I would pick an engine that is easy to get parts for. If you can't get subaru parts in South America that might not be a good choice or for that matter getting the waterboxer fixed may be difficult too. I would look into this before making a choice. Keep your choices open. The 1.8T or the Bostig may be the choice for you.

I've done two a 1.8 8V VW later upgraded to a 2.0 block and an subaru 2.2. Both were done by me and me alone except I did get the Kennedy kit for mounting the 2.2 and exhaust +cat so I could get it smog checked. Doing it yourself saves a ton, I spent $3,500 total on the 2.2 and about $1,000 on the 1.8 VW. The 1.8 was bullet proof, not super powerful, but an improvement and got good mpg. The subie has been a bit more work, has more power, and gets descent mpg. Except for an annoying idle issue it has been reliable.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sticking with a WBX - TenCent (Vanistan) or Rocky Jennings... period. Get on the list Wink.

CA CARB legal options - Subaru 2.2 (not the 2.5) and VW 1.8T (Stephan's Auto Haus now sells a DIY kit).

Not CA CARB legal but maybe a good choice for South America - Bostig Ford Zetec.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check all your hoses and clamps and carry on. the wbx is a great engine.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is in San Jose apparently, so CA smog is an issue. So Subie 2.2 or VW 1.8T are the easy ways to go. A few other engines could be done depending on the year of the van, but you would need to get through the referee process. Bostig is out.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar position with my '88. FWIW, fixing the leak at the coolant reservoir coolant level sensor seal helped but even after that was repaired, on long trips at highway speeds, the fill tank depletes 1/2 way in 500 - 1000 KM's.

If you're certain the engine truly has ~ 100K miles, and you have a history of work done, a reseal may be worth it. [edit: if a leak at head(s) or coolant jacket etc. is the issue] Especially if all the WBX ancillary parts (hoses etc.) are ok.

Speaking of Rocky Jennings, took a tour of his shop recently. It was eye opening in terms of all the small details required to do a proper rebuild. Not trying to "sell" him, just suggesting that doing a reseal, skill dependant, may or may not be worth it for the average shade tree.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have experience with the WBX - and i prefer to do the work myself. i think i spent roughly around $1000 in parts, pretty much replacing everything other than the case. i went at a pretty leasurely pace and took around 3 months - but this was with no previous experience and assembling the puzzle with no point to reference (IE the engine was COMPLETELY pulled apart when i bought the van). The time took, the knowledge gained, the confidence that for the most part i should be able to address any issues that arise while on a trip was all well worth it. I wouldn't mind having more power, but i'll take my time traveling at a slower pace. if i wanna get there fast, i'll take our mustang LOL

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wecm31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't everyone who has a WBX ponder this issue??

A relevant question within this decision...how is the rest of your rig, the "support" components to the WBX?

If you have everything pretty much original, than maybe a conversion is the way to go from a $$ perspective...

I just kinda slid into my current situation, a 1.9 I installed new heads on last winter. But beyond that, the last three years has seen a new AFM,
spare ECU with a Digitool wired in, RMW/10C exhaust/oil cooler, new starter and complete cooling system. And of course new fuel system (tank, lines, pump, filter).

So if I throw a rod enroute to BC this summer, yeah, I think a new WBX surrounded by newish everything else is the way to go. OTOH, if most of the
components under the hatch were vintage, might make more sense to start fresh with a conversion (Bostig would get my vote).

Keeping it WBX means the $$ on those fresh bits wasn't wasted.

Plus of course I remain a car purist....regardless of performance, having a 30 year old vehicle remain original has appeal to me.

Gone are the days we stopped to decide
Where we should go, we just ride:)
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: so ... Reply with quote

So if I do the math ...

reseal - $1500 plus my time ..

Go Westy - minus the $1500 - is now $2700 ? approximately ?

Subaru - kit $ 3000 + donor car $1200 - $2000 plus IDK what more ? when I ask around they say $17000 to do the conversion and maybe $12000 to buy all the bits needed. so about $5000 in labor is what I would save maybe less if I mess something up.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your main concern?

- more power/torque

- ease of service in remote areas

- ground clearance

- not poking a hump into the interior cargo space

- cost
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor to consider.

Cost of engine replacement while on your extended trip.

i.e. 2.1 WBX vs ___ likely more commonly available used engine.

Many folks have had excellent longer trips with their WBX engine but personally, since I don't know the exact history of my 2.1, this factor bugs me.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Main concern Reply with quote

Clearly money $$$$$ if I win the lotto I ok pay someone to do a conversion !

I can live with the 2.1 but wish I had power.

Over all I want reliability.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowest cost is to rebuild the existing motor yourself - learn how if you don't know
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I likely could just pull the heads reseal and get by for another 50 to 80k and be done with it in a weekend

Your weekends go better than mine. Most likely you will have some seized fasteners that will fight you just removing the exhaust. Then when you go to pull the heads, one jug will stick to the head and become unseated from the case, then you need to pull the rod because you can't get the piston back into the jug with the new jug seal, and I am lazy, did you mention it is a 2.1? If so, you will need to replace the rod bolts, which could include having them machined. You see, it rarely takes a weekend. I have seen a couple GW replacement engines come through my friends shop. GW has beat both customers up on the core charges, so when looking at their offer, you can't expect a total refund on your core only partial.

If the final goal is to head to south America, I'd be inclined to install a VW 1800 inline 4 cylinder with a carb and simple ignition system.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start hosing everything down with Kroil while you take a couple of weeks to think about it
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit I didn't have a good understanding of the core charges on a WBX engine and so lots of gratitude to Rocky for taking the time to explain a few things to me. Like why the per each charge for head bolts? Because they corrode while exposed in the water jacket then snap off at the case, a time consuming process to repair. So to have a GW 2.2 DELIVERED I was at $5825 total - $580 shipping/core return and $1200 core charges. I lost around $400 on the engine core to head studs and the $50 oil drain fix charge ( I had heartburn over this because my drain wasn't stripped out and the explanation was that it's done to all the engines regardless, which to me it is then a service item and should not really be a core charge). In the end though GW replaced a bad water pump at the end of its warranty and I'm happy with the performance of the engine thus far and will continue to throw piles of cash their way. If you're in San Jose you could save the shipping $ and just go pick one up.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pondered a similar choice when my 84 had 134,000 on it and we were departing on what turned out to be a 24,000 mile trip. But we never left the U.S. so my options if things went pear-shaped were all pretty simple (many shops available, anything could be shipped to me, etc.).

In the end, nothing much happened - a flat tire, collapsed cat converter and the sliding door handle broke. The 1.9L engine finally died 10 years later at 220,000 miles and a GoWesty 2.2 replaced it.

If you do the minimum and take off for S.A. -- have a contingency plan for parts 7?or an engine if problems arise. Much easier to get that sorted out before you leave than trying to work it long distance.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: engine options .... ! Reply with quote

david2676 wrote:
Now keep in mind in the coming year maybe sooner I want to take the van into S America and do some extended trips.

Every S american wanderer that I have read about that had problems with the engine and tranny(both seem to come up) had to source parts from the US. Search for some of those threads for first hand input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: