Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

saving Frankenstein
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: saving Frankenstein Reply with quote

Hello everyone,and thank you for letting me take a little of your time with a few questions,ive saved a 1963 rag top from going to the crusher just because they had no idea what to do with it ,its a 1963 volkswagon beetle original rag top on a 1974 pan with its original brakes and suspension I believe it has the original tilt steering wheel in it and that's what is giving me the issues its has the 74 brake res on it and I don't know how to wire it to the 63 fuse panel and for some reason they used the 63 ign and the 74 tilt ign to gether to start it I think I can bypass the tilt steering wheel ign and advice would be great they are also using the original turnsignal on the tilt wheel for the blinkers ,any wiring advice there would be great ,thank you again for your time ,
previously owned 66 beetle.
previously owned 58 big window
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PULL BOTH WIRING DIAGRAMS OFF THE TECHNICAL SECTION
Have them laminated and then you can trace individual circuts with a dry erase marker...
This is going to be like the old " How do you eat an Elephant " joke.....
One circuit at a time .....
Make up a test light and use a small amperage battery so you don't burn the car to the ground
It's all basic battery to ground ; one wire at a time..
You can add an extra fuse panel for any 70's circuts .
The easiest and most expensive solution is start with a new wiring harness for the earlier car and work each new circuit ; One wire at a time .. Laughing

NOT easy. .but it can be done

A little 63 three fold ragtop inspiration ; Grand pa Pete's "Purple Car "

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Thu May 21, 2015 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you,now I have those and starting to wire headlight switch up ,now is it possible to just bypass the ignition on the 74 tilt wheel and run everything to stock ignition.
[/img]
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ; wire it the old way ....
simpler and easy to fix

Why do you have a HUGE hole in the bulkhead ???...crotch cooler Laughing
What does the yellow extension cord do ? Surprised

More photos please.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read up on how to clean up old wire terminal ends ?

Page 7 in my build thread below Shocked

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Have you read up on how to clean up old wire terminal ends ?

Page 7 in my build thread below Shocked

doesn't that liquid contain a lot of salt??? . there may be long term corrosion issues in cleaning with this stuff. you need to remove all salt residues, I suggest a lengthy rinse in hot water if you use this solution.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the good advice grandpa pete ,,, I have purchased a new harness and ran it ,but whoever worked on this bug must have took a 100 ft extension cord and cut it up into sections and ran part of it to the left front head light and part to the right headlight then ran 2 sections to the rear for the tail lights and yes they ran another section of it to the rear for the alt dummy light the oil dummy light and left the 3rd one not hooked up as far as the hole in the bulkhead that is where they cut a section out to run the wires from the 74 tilt steering wheel (blinkers headlight and starter wires)its confusing to me on how to eliminate the tilt tilt steering wheel wires with out eliminating the the blinker switch power ,who wants to use 2 ignitions 2 start there car Evil or Very Mad and on top of that I had a wire coming from the headlight switch down to the fuse block that caught on fire so im nervous about hooking that up ,my dilemma, yes going to replace extension cord with correct wires Very Happy any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any amount of that house wiring needs to go. Replacement harnesses are so cheap now- there's really no excuse to not get one. If you simply must use the ignition from the later column, it won't be hard to match wires- as long as you do as Grandpa Pete says- and have two good diagrams to compare. What you don't get into is how your dimmer switch is wired- through the column, or still on the floor?

What's a tilt steering wheel? I've owned bugs since the early 80s and don't know what your talking about. If you are referring to one with the ignition attached to the steering column- that's just a later safety column (collapsing). If your column really does "tilt" you've got problems that cannot be answered in a thread- you need a professional close by.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes house wiring going out the door ,Its a tilt steering wheel column you pull the little lever up and you can move the steering wheel up and down ,I would like to illuminate the steering wiring all together but I need the blinker wirring but I don't think it will get power if I don't use the ignition switch,, and the wiring diagram for a 1974 is crazy looking ,thank you for the help

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news! Thanks for the added info. I see too that you are using an original ignition- a great help (I'll have to look at mine- yours looks older than the car). I may be the last guy in town to learn VW had a tilt column- if they do, I'm sorry I didn't know that. My '74 Lovebug does not- it just has a simple plastic-surrounded collapsing column- with the integrated ignition switch of course. Now, if your column is not a VW piece- you need to trace and label each of those wires- and diagram how the thing grounds.

Your turn signals will require some real thought. The whole power/flash/ground circuit works differently with a later switch vs. the '63 one. Does your turn signal lever also work the high/low dimmer? If so, does it work?

You've got a real project there. Standing by.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if the turnsignals work or dimmer works I haven't powered any of that up yet ,the guy I got it from said nothing worked on the wiring for lights and blinkers I haven't had it long,i wanted to get the rest of the wiring safe and new before diving into the steering column ,and you have me questioning the tilt steering wheel lol im not sure where to go or who to ask if beetle ever had a tilt steering wheel in 1974 ,I geuss im going to have to run a hot wire to the ignition wire on the colonm and see if I get power to the turn signals and headlights and dimmer ,back to the drawing board lol
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you your tilt wheel setup is not original, nor a dealer installed item. Besides the fact one was not offered, there is absolutely no way one would have been installed by either the factory or a dealership in such a manner as shown in your pic above -- with a hole cut and peeled open crudely for the wires to pass into the trunk. If you post pics of the wheel and column in question, somebody may be able to identify what vehicle it came out of.
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yes I agree it was poorly done ,like I said its my frankenstien its a 1963 body on a 1974 pan , I think the steering wheel came from the 74 I will take pics tonight after I get off work and post tomorrow,thank you again
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I can tell you your tilt wheel setup is not original, nor a dealer installed item. Besides the fact one was not offered, there is absolutely no way one would have been installed by either the factory or a dealership in such a manner as shown in your pic above -- with a hole cut and peeled open crudely for the wires to pass into the trunk. If you post pics of the wheel and column in question, somebody may be able to identify what vehicle it came out of.

Yeah, if they put a '74 on a '63 it doesn't even phase me that they may have pulled a steering column out of a totally different vehicle.
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question should I use the original ignition from the 63 or just use the 74 ignition I cant see using 2 ignitions to start it up
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the steering column in the 63

arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def. not a VW column. Doesn't look like an aftermarket unit either. What does the other side of the column look like? What about the steering wheel?

One thing you need to do for sure is take tons and tons of pictures. One question I have is where is your speedo? On a 63' it should be right above your column... I think on all beetles it should be right above your column.

Personal opinion? I think you should run with it. When you get this running and looking great it will be a freaking awesome story. You could even do some corny stuff like painting "frakenbug" or something on the dash. AND no need to worry about getting correct year parts, just grab whatever works and go!

The key to this project is going to be documenting the whole thing. You want to be able to look back and see what parts are where so you don't have to try and figure it out from memory.
thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol too funny,the speedo is right above the steering column,i have totally inspected the body and it a true 63 down to the badge on the front of the hood (last year for the badge) and the vin plate under the hood , thanks for the good advice on documenting everything it will make for a good story at the next bug show I get to and im driving it lol I could take it to a shop and have it done ,but bugs are so fricken awesome im going to do it myself " one wire ,one nut , one bolt at a time " thanks again ,hopefully someone can tell me how to wire the steering column up Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: