Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise on Installing a street legal windshield(safety glass)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Advise on Installing a street legal windshield(safety glass) Reply with quote

Hello,
So I have read through several posts about adding/installing a street legal windshield (Safety glass) and have talked to a few people at Hendersons and Kosins glass, they are all more than willing to cut the glass for me if i provide the template but in both cases had very little input on how to install it. So I have a few questions that I am hoping can be cleared up.

First of all, I really don’t want the windshield to look ghetto fabulous: lol: , I would prefer a clean look.
- From what I have read, I will need to weld in a 1/2"x 1/2" angle iron piece around the window opening. (So the windshield will lay in and rest against the angle)
- When I cut the template, allow 1/4" around the perimeter for the seal.
- Once I have the glass, put on a universal seal (Any suggestions?)
- use windshield caulk (Any suggestions?) between the angle and windshield seal, to help secure it to the angle.

Will I need to use anything on the face of the windshield, like corner brackets on the outside to hold it in?

I was hoping for a post with step by step instructions, I am going to venture to say there are probably alot out there but I have not been able to find them. Any help would be great appreciated; I am looking for to getting this going!!!!!
I live in lower Michigan, if anyone know someone who actually installs these things.

Thanks,
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the gasket that goes between the roll bar and the glass. Actually it goes around the roll bar and has a channel to sit the glass in. I put the windshield in, but really didn't like the way it seemed flimsy. Like, it could pop out under stress.

So, I welded a shelf, like you mentioned all the way around, and glued it in using Sika windshield glue (get it from glass shop). I put a piece of stiff cardboard into the hole to cut template. My gap was 1/8" around perimeter.

As for how to get all the angle to be at the same level so windshield isn't crooked: I took a piece of 1" tubing and clamped it across the upper right corner and repeated this at the other corners. Then I laid the angle iron in place and clamped it to the corner 'braces'. I then welded the four angle iron pieces (top, bottom, two sides) into place by tacking them in several places. After everything was tacked and confirmed 'just right' I filled in the corners with shorter angle pieces I had cut so they could be bent to conform to the corners. After all looked good, I ran a continuous bead around the perimeter. Then I sand-blasted the welds and the bar and angle iron shelf, re-primered and painted all of it. I let it all set up and dry. then installed the glass.

'Keep the template' is the advice I wish I had taken. After several blasts on the beach and some ferocious windstorm dirt roads and sand roads in the New Jersey Pine Barrens, my glass is pocked up pretty good. Needs replaced. So I'll have to cut another template. Glass was $100 from local Glass company.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Axitech,

I am guessing that you laid a bead around the inside shelf with the Sika windshield glue (Let it set up) then placed the glass. After that you filled in around the edges with the glue? Did you use any metal strapping on the outside? or is the glue enough to hold it in place once it dried?

And I would love to see some picture of how you did the rounded corners. that was going to be my next question. and did you use 1/2" angle for your frame?

Thanks!
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 1/2" angle. The glue is a, argh, the word escapes me, looks like RTV but is a product made for glass installation. you lay a thick, wide bed of it and then immediately lay the glass onto it. That gives you a 1/8"-3/16" thick bed for the glass to adhere to. POLYURETHANE !!! I remembered the word !!!!!!

It's the same stuff all late model car windshields are installed with now. Good stuff. It's made to keep a great hold on the glass in case of collision AND airbag deployment. Think about the force it takes to hold a window in against a sudden stop and a few massive explosions inside the vehicle at the same time. There is no outer strip needed. I did lay a bead of RTV silicone on the outside to pretty it up, but that wound up not working out. It looks bad. Some day I'll take a razor to it and make it pretty.

My wife was out of town when I did all this, so there are no pics of the project work. I did install a new crossbar below the windshield, so my glass area is much smaller than the stock aperture. Less area to catch rocks and stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a second to figure out what that was on the inside of your buggy! :snipersmile:

So I got out and bought some of the materials to get the windshield started. I plan to weld 1/2" angle only on the straight areas and leave the rounded corners. It should have a clean look and will be easy to get everything lined up. I would have started on it, but the boss had other plans for me this weekend. Very Happy

I will take some pics along the way.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight sections only will work. After it's in, you may want to seal the corners with RTV to keep water from ingressing there. Hahahahahah I crack me up!!! It's a rail, the water is coming in EVERYWHERE!!!!

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building this jeep style fold down windshield for my fiberglass buggy. Glass shop man told me to do it like this and he will cut glass and install it just like an old car.

That's 1/2" square tube with 1" strap iron welded around it for a flange. It will fold down like a jeep with these fancy hinges.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will work great! I'd like to have done that, but I'm certain that PennDOT would have used that to stop my project. They were 'less than accommodating' in the process of getting mine street-legal.

Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that! keep us posted on how that works out for you Sam!

The gentleman that i talked to at the glass shop was really resistant to install the windshield for me (And i tried every angle!!!!) He said they used to install them many years ago but got out of that business. Based on our conversation, i am guess because alot of them ended up breaking due to the frame twisting, but he is very willing to cut me the windshield!!!!! I just need to find the time and get it done.

I will try to remember and take pictures along the way.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing it is literally the easiest part. Lay down an even bead, lay the glass in carefully to ensure even gap all around, sit back and watch it set up. Be careful. the glue will grab the glass and if you are not lined up just right, it will get messy quickly. You can do it.

Always better to do it yourself. I have very little respect for guys at car shows and their picture book of their car in all the different shops they took it to. Anyone can write checks. Show me pics of your car in all the stages of build, and you in each photo dripping sweat, tears, and blood, yeah, there's a man I can respect!!

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my build thread. Been a long project, moved 2 states in the middle of it. But I'm back to work recently. Probably should have started the thread over here, but when I bought it I wasn't sure if it was a street or off-road car.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! i just read your build, amazing work so far!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go against my friend Axitech and suggest you get the gasket from Acme. I didn't see where you described what kind of rig you have but assuming it's a tube frame this WILL be the easiest way to do it. If your anywhere near Grand Rapids in Michigan, I can suggest a place to both order the glass from and to have it installed. It is not flimsy if done correctly. All that is needed on your end is to cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the window opening leaving the required amount of clearance all the way around for the gasket and then bring the wood over to the shop and order the glass. I decided to bring my rig to them just because they were being so helpful and I wanted them to have everything within reach(tools). I was able to get glass with a tinted strip at the top, think it cost $30. Place is called Henderson on 28th in Wyoming.

The biggest hurdle in respect to getting a shop to do it is to have the gasket in hand. I found that most glass shops won't have any idea what your talking about despite claims of being experts. A smaller business will be more likely to help than a big company.

When your all done you should get your plywood back and if anything ever happens to the glass or it just wears out from sand hitting it all the time which is most likely you just bring it back in and order a new pane.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't get much cleaner looking than this

DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same gasket for my streetrail. The hardest part was cutting the corners to get it to look nice.,I used 3m trim glue to hold everything in place.
I started with a piece of plexyglass.,trimming it to fit.
Make sure the glass shop,has the " safety markings " in the lower left corner
DWP
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I'm gonna go against my friend Axitech and suggest you get the gasket from Acme. I didn't see where you described what kind of rig you have but assuming it's a tube frame this WILL be the easiest way to do it. If your anywhere near Grand Rapids in Michigan, I can suggest a place to both order the glass from and to have it installed. It is not flimsy if done correctly. All that is needed on your end is to cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the window opening leaving the required amount of clearance all the way around for the gasket and then bring the wood over to the shop and order the glass. I decided to bring my rig to them just because they were being so helpful and I wanted them to have everything within reach(tools). I was able to get glass with a tinted strip at the top, think it cost $30. Place is called Henderson on 28th in Wyoming.

The biggest hurdle in respect to getting a shop to do it is to have the gasket in hand. I found that most glass shops won't have any idea what your talking about despite claims of being experts. A smaller business will be more likely to help than a big company.

When your all done you should get your plywood back and if anything ever happens to the glass or it just wears out from sand hitting it all the time which is most likely you just bring it back in and order a new pane.

In case you were worried, I am NOT offended. That's the beauty of this hobby. You can do it your way, and I can do it mine and each of us has what we wanted. I know DWP has his installed the way you did yours. I tried it and couldn't get it right. My skill-set and experience allowed/pushed me to do it my way and I like it. I know Dave likes his. It looks a LOT cleaner than mine does, that is certain! But then, his whole vehicle looks cleaner than mine. He does nice work. I went for the "Road Warrior-ugly" look. And got it!

Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
I used the same gasket for my streetrail. The hardest part was cutting the corners to get it to look nice.,I used 3m trim glue to hold everything in place.
I started with a piece of plexyglass.,trimming it to fit.
Make sure the glass shop,has the " safety markings " in the lower left corner
DWP

YES!!! I had to take SEVERAL pictures and even had to circle the markings with a grease pencil to prove to PennDOT that it was safety glass. They wound up being right in the center of driver's vision field, and very difficult to find.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

In case you were worried, I am NOT offended. That's the beauty of this hobby. You can do it your way, and I can do it mine and each of us has what we wanted. I know DWP has his installed the way you did yours. I tried it and couldn't get it right. My skill-set and experience allowed/pushed me to do it my way and I like it. I know Dave likes his. It looks a LOT cleaner than mine does, that is certain! But then, his whole vehicle looks cleaner than mine. He does nice work. I went for the "Road Warrior-ugly" look. And got it!

If I didn't think you could handle it I wouldn't have said anything. Smile

Honestly, I tried doing it your way when I first went around and talked with some idiots at the big glass companies. They made it sound like that was the only way to do it. So I began trying to weld, a frame inside my tubes. For me, it was a total PITA. I just couldn't put much heat into those strips with out ending up with distortion. It was a lesson in patience trying to get a flat surface all the way around which I just wasn't up to task on. I couldn't wait to cut it all back out and use the gasket.
So in my case, welding in the lip just wasn't a fun project and I do this for fun. Now someone else, maybe they think that is fun. Everybody's different and I don't fault anyone for thinking differently than I do. It's just my own narrow opinion that effort could be better spent elswhere, where maybe the result will be something to appreciate later with a beer in hand sitting on a bucket in the garage. But you know me, I also encourage everyone to give 'making everything from scratch' a try. This was just a case where I couldn't practice what I preach. lol Either way is good.
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i have a standard tube frame buggy. That windshield looks great, what gasket materal from Acme did you use? I attempted to look it up and really didnt see anything that would fit the bill.

Also, i contacted Hendersons and a few other around this area (I live in Dundee) and they would cut the glass but not install it.

Maybe i should look around a little more! i would much rather have it professional installed!
notime2d8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian1 wrote:
Yes, i have a standard tube frame buggy. That windshield looks great, what gasket materal from Acme did you use? I attempted to look it up and really didnt see anything that would fit the bill.

Also, i contacted Hendersons and a few other around this area (I live in Dundee) and they would cut the glass but not install it.

Maybe i should look around a little more! i would much rather have it professional installed!

Here's the link, you should do it and take pics so i can do mines Cool

http://acmecarco.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2858
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: