Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise on Installing a street legal windshield(safety glass)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the seal cut and for the most part dry fit on the Luan. Just as an FYI, I cut the seal to the inside perimeter of the buggy, not the Luan. The reason for that is because, I was not sure if the Luan was actually cut correct. I then placed the seal around the Luan, (The seal had about an extra 1" or so) Slowly trimming back the seal as needed, I also found that I needed to make minor adjustments on the Luan. Here are a few picture of the dry fit with the Luan. I was actually surprised how well the seal holds the wood in place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did leave a little extra trim on both side to allow for the thickness of the glass, I plan to clean this up after I have the safety glass installed and glued. So I suppose the next step is to have the glass cut!!!!
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! Looks a whole lot better than my perimeter flange does. I like mine better, but good job, looks clean.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you got this.
When you get your glass cut you can ask if they can use tinted glass and get the top with the sun tint. Only problem I ran into at the place I went is they could only get sun tint glass that had a deep tint stripe so a lot of it is in my field of view. If you do any street driving this is nice and it looks cool but not absolutely neccessary.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
DON@THEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post be falling getting ready to do mine. Was wondering if anyone knows if there a place in Northen ohio to do this
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, if you do find a place, go ahead and post it here so others that are local to you will know.

OK, so I got the glass cut by Glass Doctor. It end up costing $138.00, this was a little cheaper then Henderson's and the people I talked to on the phone are ALOT more pleasant and willing to work with my needs. After talking to the guy that cut the glass, he said that they will install them, provided you bring the seal and glue.

The installation went fairly smooth,
- Make sure to have a helper when putting the glass in.
- Clean the seal to get rid of the white powdered they use for storing it.
- careful with the glue, it dries fast and can be messy!!!

I went ahead and placed the seal around the glass and pushed it in place, after getting it where I wanted it (Was a good fit) I trimmed up the miter cuts in the bottom corners. I then pulled back the seal on the outside of the buggy (The longer edge that is/should be on the outside of the buggy) and squeezed the glue in the seal. Careful, that stuff dries fast and is a bugger to get off! I did have one corner that was didn't want to sit flush, so I used some wood clamps to hold it back until the glue can set up.

Here is a few pictures.

Oh yeah!!!! very important that the glass has this if you plan for it to be street legal.

Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha Look at those faces! One is giving you the "Why are you looking at MY rail? " look, and the other is pointing as if to say, "He says, " You ain't ever getting to drive it Daddy, it's ours!". Hahahaha

Cute kids!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What thickness glass did you end up using with that gasket? I'll be ordering the same gasket this Friday when I get paid and I'll be needing the glass shortly afterwards. FWIW the local glass shop wants $165 for 3/8" thick or $81 for 1/4" thick piece of 3' x 3.5' tempered safety glass. That is with squared corners on my rail, no radiused edges to deal with.

BTW: If you're still interested in it, the steering column stub for the turn signal switch is done now. The pics of it installed are posted in my build thread.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pic with the circle, (If you look closely) it says 6.0mm, so that is 1/4". It seemed plenty thick to me.
mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the new windshield in or maybe on the burro. My burro has a square windshield frame, so the glass shop installed it as they would a new car replacement glass. They are glued in place by about 5/8" strip of adhesive it hides behind black paint around edge of glass. I think it looks ok, sorta like bullet proof glass. There will be a filler panel along the bottom that will butt up to the bottom of the glass.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: