Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this charging volt OK?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Is this charging volt OK? Reply with quote

Have a all stock '56 beetle. Recently changed the original voltage regulator. Charging voltage was 6.6 volts. Now with a new regulator on top of the 6 volt generator I get 6.4 volts at idle and 6.8 to 7.0 at 3000rpms. The Bently book says 7.2 volts. I think I should get that voltage when the engine is 800rpms or higher. The battery voltage is 6.4, all contacts are cleaned. I had the headlights, wiper and turn signal on. The voltage did not go lower than 6.8 at 1500rpms. The generator test at 24 volts disconnected at regulator. Had a battery charger on for 24 hours to fully charge the battery. At 1500rpm the charging voltage 6.6. It seems that as the battery discharges the charging voltage increases. My question, is the battery slowly discharging over time? George
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 7.0 Volts the battery will take a little longer to reach full charge, however, with the lower voltage at idle the battery is in a continuous charge and discharge cycle. At 6.8 Volts the battery charging current will very low, depending on the state of charge. The local generator/starter shop owner said 7.0 V is normal in a VW. Make the voltage measurement at the battery, because there will be some voltage drop through the wiring with the lights on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a nice day this Saturday, finally no rain. Took out '56 beetle. Drove it 30 miles some 20 to 40 mph. Stop and start. Seems battery keeping the charged. Thanks Wayne S. Johnson for your comments. G.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Voltmeter is a good way to monitor your charging system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got some news. The generator via the regulator is putting out the 7.1 volts per a volt meter I temporarily installed. Thank you Wayne. Yesterday took out the '56 beetle had the headlights on a dark cloudy day driving in the countryside. Drove 40 miles stopped to get some gas. Went to start bug yep just a click. Volt meter said 5.9 volts. Mmmmmm. Yes charging but no amps. Push start bug and it started and limped home on low battery. Put an amp meter in series of B+ to battery very low output per amperage. So even thou one may have the volts, it sill does not show that the battery is fully charged. Did notice as before the 6.8 volts were there because the battery was charged. Now the volts 7.1 indicates the battery needs the amps. Time to total rebuild or replace gen. G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: