Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this Split worth saving? Your thoughts please
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Is this Split worth saving? Your thoughts please Reply with quote

hello vw guys&girls..litlle thoughts help..l really need you opinion..about this poor Split..looks like it was in nice solid shape not long ago..l ofered the guy 1500e for this..l have no parts under 58..consider that please in your thoughts..and big passion to old VW's..but unfortionatly l also like original parts..in this case..l know..almost mision imposible..but still..l would not hurry with this one for shore..piece by piece..l also have to tell you that in my country there is no Split parts or Split knoledge..so please can you tell me something from wich year is it..and everything you can see from the pictures l got..from a friend who passed me this..l don't know what is it..good or bad dream..Very Happy please help
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some splits in former jugoslavia, and people who know about splits, some of them are members here

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mandraks they are..but in Serbia..too long distance for some "show me your Split help"..in Slovenia where I live only one known 49 uncomplete..but dont know if it is still in the country...
here is the poor boy..please tell me what you think..what year would be?and is too much missing for a newby in Split world..with just a passion..no parts uder 58

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen much worse restored
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it can be saved.
Would be good if one of the hoods beside would be the original one and included. And also if the doors would still be there.
But it is not the worst body to start with.

About the year.
With the luggage rails in the rear it should be an export model and without an ashtray in the dash it would be mid 1949 to mid 1950?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it could be saved, but needs long term love & attention, plus parts, which can be found in Europe. Would I buy it for 1,500 euros? Yes. You will not lose money on it long term, providing it can be stored at a reasonable price.

Strange that the metal luggage/carpet protection strips are still in place under the rear windows, as they are normally one of the the 1st things to disappear.

By the way, I love Slovenia, even if it can be wetter than England at times!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx guys for answers..I have the same opinion as all of you..i will try to get it..still dont know in what roller coaster I going..Very Happy
..but I think that the seller is in heaven about the price..
and IMPORTANT..no pappers!!
..if I get it home..I will try to get front nose..back tail(dont know the exact name)..also hoping that one of the hood is corect for him..but then we have big problem with the doors..beside everything else off coars..i even dont think getting original floors and tran with motor..so my first goal would be the body as much as possible correct but yes..we are here on a few grans of euro..eehh
Purists..dont read please this below..I dont like it also..but it would be some beautifull day..make it road worthy..to church and back..hehe Wink
..do you know if I can help myself with some modification of younger parts(wich ones?..and till what year?)..
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front hood can be used one up to 1963 I think.
Engine lid you should try to find a split one.
Doors up to 1955 would do the job if you do not have split ones.
But you will have to find a ton of small stuff to complete it as a useable driver.
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..the hood is still open..maybe one of two on the picture is corect..how about the front clip?..if we look in the direction that this what was cut on the body should be saved back to original..atleast this..l see back tail was cutwed badly..very high..
are reproduction parts awailable for first step?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...would be fun, just to have, very slowly put together, read these forums, learn all you could, be in an ever shrinking and exclusive class of split type one owners. Wouldn't care if I ever got it running and on the road... would just enjoy ownership, for the rest of my life and leave it to someone, I love, after I was gone...think you are fortunate for that opportunity.

Go for it.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...would be fun, just to have, very slowly put together, read these forums, learn all you could, be in an ever shrinking and exclusive class of split type one owners. Wouldn't care if I ever got it running and on the road... would just enjoy ownership, for the rest of my life and leave it to someone, I love, after I was gone...think you are fortunate for that opportunity.

Go for it.

really thanx for great words!..l will try..l will...otherwise l dig in in what is my close option..till now it was 65 export bug..l can't tell how much l love to drive this buddy..and take care for it..search for every original screw from 65..in the garagge is also T1 Sc westfalia wide wooden bed..wich has allready rebuild brakes and running motor..now slowly remowing one layer of paith..was resprayed once..want to go back to original paint..this is all in my reach level..but this monster here..is just woow..like it would be a barndoor..or 356..it is first class car..l really don't know if l have everything what you need to bite in this kind of apple..l wish l have..but wish is not enough..l just checked ebay for original parts for a Split..and it is sad level of directors..doctors..or collector with many parts from several years back..l work for a sealery wich is enough for pair of lights..maybe..not even shore..sad reality..but l also pump my self..thanks guys really thanx..if he bites in my 1500e..it is destiny..to come together..otherwise..l m not on that level for now..this l have to be direct to my self..l m newby in vw..enjoying simplicity of vw maschines..playing with ascesories..racks..etc..but this is totaly higher level..but let the destiny decide..and please push me in..;-)hehe
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to put it together and get it running on a later chassis for the time being, if nothing more than to save it from further deterioration, or worse yet, being scrapped as junk. A good candidate would be a '64 or earlier standard chassis, with non syncro 1st gear trans, 36hp engine, and cable brakes, to give a similar driving experience as original. Splice on front and rear clips from one of these as well to get it going. Use whatever you can get, and change out the parts for more original type ones as you find them, and can afford them. Just be careful to not modify the existing body in ways that can not be easily changed back. In other words, modify the parts to fit the body, not the other way around. In regards to papers, most countries rely on chassis numbers papers, for registration by the authorities, not the body. Check with them to verify if this is true in your country. ANY split is better than NO split, in most cases, I suppose.
Good luck with your project, and keep us posted. Very Happy
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw.espa wrote:
ok..the hood is still open..maybe one of two on the picture is corect..how about the front clip?..if we look in the direction that this what was cut on the body should be saved back to original..atleast this..l see back tail was cutwed badly..very high..
are reproduction parts awailable for first step?

Hi there, I would buy the car or what's left of it if I was you. That's maybe your last chance to get a Split window project car at this price, even if it's hacked and missing a lot of what it makes to a split bug.
To transform the leftovers back to original the cheapest way imo would be a -59 donor car, after 59 differences getting to big compare to an early 50's body...a -55 donor would be even better but more expensive I think.
Good aftermarked body panels available from Wolfparts or Mika Virtanen aren't cheap (bought a lot from Mika and stuff fits great) that's why I would go for a donor, even if it's a rusty one, you still could use it as a model creating your own rep.panels. Good luck mate! Smile
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it. without question.
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l will try my best..thanx guys for yours opinion's.
Mika parts are really great yes..but let's wait..if this Split leftower comes home..this is insane guys!!feel like base jumping in Africa.. with an hard rope..Very Happy..but like you said..only oportunity to own Split something..a big relife woud be to found pre 59 front and back clip..l feel l can do this for him..otherwise..l have 66 bug,1300 motor,ab transmition for step 2...a question here..will he sit on it..or it need a lot to modifications?..and l remembered that l have one thing for a Split..16'kfz wheels..think they are from 50' Opel..but no complaning mr.Split!..better than grow roots with roses..Wink
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it and piece it back together. Don't worry about getting everything back to factory original. Just make it into a car you can enjoy.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw.espa wrote:
l have 66 bug,1300 motor,ab transmition for step 2...a question here..will he sit on it..or it need a lot to modifications?..and l remembered that l have one thing for a Split..16'kfz wheels..think they are from 50' Opel..but no complaning mr.Split!..better than grow roots with roses..Wink

a 66' chassis will fit, there are some issues with the rear axle mount, but if you gonna use the rear end clip from this donor car too Shocked then no problem to fit the pan and house together, ....mate,if I was you I would seeking for a pre 59' donor.
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good reading for you...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401730&highlight=split+rescue
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316550&highlight=split+rescue
and my favorite thread in Split restoration, Mihail, a guy from Romania did that awesome rescue job, enjoy ... rescuehttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315832&highlight=split+romania
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
Vw.espa wrote:
l have 66 bug,1300 motor,ab transmition for step 2...a question here..will he sit on it..or it need a lot to modifications?..and l remembered that l have one thing for a Split..16'kfz wheels..think they are from 50' Opel..but no complaning mr.Split!..better than grow roots with roses..Wink

a 66' chassis will fit, there are some issues with the rear axle mount, but if you gonna use the rear end clip from this donor car too Shocked then no problem to fit the pan and house together, ....mate,if I was you I would seeking for a pre 59' donor.

defenetly not using clips from 66..if l would use it 66 l would use it just motor trans and bottom to drive my self first time in half Split..Wink
if l get it home..l will defienetly search for pre 59..l knew for one 57..but missing doors and fenders wich l need badly in this case
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
some good reading for you...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401730&highlight=split+rescue
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316550&highlight=split+rescue
and my favorite thread in Split restoration, Mihail, a guy from Romania did that awesome rescue job, enjoy ... rescuehttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315832&highlight=split+romania

thanx..l will check..and yes l remeber Mihail Split..great work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: