Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this Split worth saving? Your thoughts please
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
I agree, it could be saved, but needs long term love & attention, plus parts, which can be found in Europe. Would I buy it for 1,500 euros? Yes. You will not lose money on it long term, providing it can be stored at a reasonable price.

Strange that the metal luggage/carpet protection strips are still in place under the rear windows, as they are normally one of the the 1st things to disappear.

By the way, I love Slovenia, even if it can be wetter than England at times!

l will try to get Martin..
nice you like Slovenia!..what word wetter means?..more rainy than England?
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys..on this body there is no original vin numbers left or?..if is..where?
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw.espa wrote:
Porsche904 wrote:
Vw.espa wrote:
l have 66 bug,1300 motor,ab transmition for step 2...a question here..will he sit on it..or it need a lot to modifications?..and l remembered that l have one thing for a Split..16'kfz wheels..think they are from 50' Opel..but no complaning mr.Split!..better than grow roots with roses..Wink

a 66' chassis will fit, there are some issues with the rear axle mount, but if you gonna use the rear end clip from this donor car too Shocked then no problem to fit the pan and house together, ....mate,if I was you I would seeking for a pre 59' donor.

defenetly not using clips from 66..if l would use it 66 l would use it just motor trans and bottom to drive my self first time in half Split..Wink
if l get it home..l will defienetly search for pre 59..l knew for one 57..but missing doors and fenders wich l need badly in this case

go for the 57...pre 55 doors coming up very often, shouldn't be a problem
Your biggest problem is the front and rear end, fenders, doors and hoods is, if you not wanna finf the real Split stuff, not your biggest issue....
Find a -pre 57 decklid
- pre 55 doors
- pre 61 fronthood (pre 67 will fit too)
- pre 67 front fenders
- pre 67 rear fenders (pre 73 standard will fit to)
all these parts can you get for a small amount of money, with all these parts mounted your body will looks like a Split Smile
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw.espa wrote:

Body no. Is gone, so, makes it difficult to get the produktion month
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
Vw.espa wrote:

Body no. Is gone, so, makes it difficult to get the produktion month
aashit..another thing l don't like..uff..hard to motivate myself with this 3 piece(split section,split dash+some metal)Split..
guys l have to open this painfull question..is 1500e max offer for this poor Split..l have a feeling that the owner dreams abbout over 2500 or even 3 000e..l really don't see it so far for 3 good piece Split..even for 1500 it rings a red bell in the head..that rear clip is chooped high very high..front clip also and without number..new painfull information for me..
maybe put on hold..give him an offer and stand back..is the smart idea?..you know..it is 50%-50% percent feeling..happynees mixed with worries,angry,..what would wise men do?hmmm
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... if you bought it for 2750... seems like a lot now, but "now" is a fleeting moment. Ten years from now, you will look back and think you got it for almost free, for that piece of history.

Over the years, not only will you have enjoyed the split, but it will be realized what a great investment you made.

Ummm, so it's not completely original. You will have your critics and your admirers. I wouldn't pay much attention to the naysayers, only to the optimistic and positive crowd.

Yeah so, it's not completely original...if you care about such silliness, don't buy and if you are beyond that...go for it.

Try being open minded about the acquisition...accepting of whatever obstacle comes your way... in openness, we only get disturbed when we identify with a narrow point of view... if you are open and remain open you will fare well, because everything about your wonderful split will bring you happiness.

If you are capable of letting go of any fixed ideas about how the car should be restored, you will bring more happiness to yourself... and ultimately, that's what it's all about.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
..if you bought it for 2750..seems like a lot now,but "now" is a fleeting moment.Ten years from now, you will look back and think you got it for almost free,for that piece of history.
Over the years, not only will you have enjoyed the split,but it will be realized what a great investment you made.
Ummm, so it's not completely original.You will have your critics and your admirers.I wouldn't pay much attention to the naysayers,only to the optimistic and positive crowd.
Yeah so, it's not completely original..if you care about such silliness,don't buy and if you are beyond that..go for it.
Try being open minded about the acquisition...accepting of whatever obstacle comes your way... in openness, we only get disturbed when we identify with a narrow point of view... if you are open and remain open you will fare well, because everything about your wonderful split will bring you happiness.
If you are capable of letting go of any fixed ideas about how the car should be restored, you will bring more happiness to yourself...and ultimately, that's what it's all about.

thanx pall for wise words..l need them..l m a bit lost in what is good for the piece of history like Split is...what can l ofer him..l even don't think of me..my feelings..but l guess l should..yees l would love to look that dash and that backmirrow look..while driving!!
thanx once aggine for remind me on my own dreams!
great words brotha!!
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
Vw.espa wrote:
Porsche904 wrote:
Vw.espa wrote:
l have 66 bug,1300 motor,ab transmition for step 2...a question here..will he sit on it..or it need a lot to modifications?..and l remembered that l have one thing for a Split..16'kfz wheels..think they are from 50' Opel..but no complaning mr.Split!..better than grow roots with roses..Wink

a 66' chassis will fit, there are some issues with the rear axle mount, but if you gonna use the rear end clip from this donor car too Shocked then no problem to fit the pan and house together, ....mate,if I was you I would seeking for a pre 59' donor.

defenetly not using clips from 66..if l would use it 66 l would use it just motor trans and bottom to drive my self first time in half Split..Wink
if l get it home..l will defienetly search for pre 59..l knew for one 57..but missing doors and fenders wich l need badly in this case

go for the 57...pre 55 doors coming up very often, shouldn't be a problem
Your biggest problem is the front and rear end, fenders, doors and hoods is, if you not wanna finf the real Split stuff, not your biggest issue....
Find a -pre 57 decklid
- pre 55 doors
- pre 61 fronthood (pre 67 will fit too)
- pre 67 front fenders
- pre 67 rear fenders (pre 73 standard will fit to)
all these parts can you get for a small amount of money, with all these parts mounted your body will looks like a Split Smile

thanx my friend...very usefull informations..l will write them down on a Split thinking option as fast and "easy"..well not easy with that front and back clip insanity they cut it up(this is where the bit anger filling is comming..(here in balkan it is heappenin all the time..people ruin things on a daily bases..throwing original stuff in garbagge and replace them with new..repaint super solid paint..rechrome chrom wich just need a bit 2000 polish...but ok..leave this thoughts..focus on recovering Split!yes
soo..l have a few parts mentioned..from 66..l also talk to a guy who has 57!thinking abbout selling..but no doors..no front and back hood.no fenders.just solid flor solid motor and tran..and he tell me he gave 2700..Smile..and that we will talk about the price..but how?Smile..thease things are worth 1000e..Smile..ajajajaj..this will be funny converstation..Very Happy
thanx guys for help..all of you!!really mean a lot to me now to talk to experienced masters who went lot of time through thease thoughts of fear,joy,lost in wtf l m doing?!?,and payday when THE BLOODY THING starts up!
Smile
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Danmark, otherwise I would have late front hood -67 and late oval decklid for a symbolic price, both things need work but not terrible state, maybe other members will help you too, ...can remember Mihail from Romania got a lot of support from all over the world Smile
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
I'm in Danmark, otherwise I would have late front hood -67 and late oval decklid for a symbolic price, both things need work but not terrible state, maybe other members will help you too, ...can remember Mihail from Romania got a lot of support from all over the world Smile

great mann!!!this is still heappening?!?wooow..niceee!!thank you..soo happy that good people still exists..in this solo world..thank you really thank you..
we will talk abbout just that l see in person Spit and the owner with money from sindicat loan..Very Happy..hjaoo jao jao..now you know a bit more..what is my possition..Smile..also building flat so these things should not heappend now..Very Happy..Wink
thanx Porsche904..great infos..great energy!
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem mate,...but you have to make a decision first, right?
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
No problem mate,...but you have to make a decision first, right?
yes..l allready did..l will take it for arround the price l ofered..but not for 3000e..and more..
becose l know myself..if l will save this one..first step is to find front and back clip..pre 57..and make it as best as possible..then after this step..we can do it with later parts..wich are mounted on and off quickly..but body should ne saved ass best it's possible..l can't help him with Split parts..but l can try to find pre 57 clips..doors..hoods maybe?..this would be the best!but ot cheap l know..
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. Yes, I did mean that you sometimes have more rain than in England. When I was in Kranska Gora years ago, I hired a Trabant Kubel from Hertz (really) and went to the Porche Museum in Gmund, Austria, which isn't too far away really. I bought a Trabant Kubel not long after, and still have it today.

It seems you are doing a lot of soul searching about the remains of this car. Only you can decide what to do, but what you are being offered is the hard part to find. If you are young, and you have time on your hands, then go for it in a sensible way. 3,000 euros would sound a lot to me, but that is for you to decide. Are there any others on offer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Hello again. Yes, I did mean that you sometimes have more rain than in England. When I was in Kranska Gora years ago, I hired a Trabant Kubel from Hertz (really) and went to the Porche Museum in Gmund, Austria, which isn't too far away really. I bought a Trabant Kubel not long after, and still have it today.

It seems you are doing a lot of soul searching about the remains of this car. Only you can decide what to do, but what you are being offered is the hard part to find. If you are young, and you have time on your hands, then go for it in a sensible way. 3,000 euros would sound a lot to me, but that is for you to decide. Are there any others on offer?

trabant kubel?Smile..what is this?Very Happy..is it plastic?Wink
about the rain..you had bad luck..nobody can have more rain than rainchamp england..Wink
about Split and age,price..l m not soo young anymore..maybe this is a problem..;-)36
My ofer is highest as l can know..everybody are scared of this..ofering a few houndred..but the bigest problem is talking to a guy..he is in higher state of mind about wellue of this..he thinks that he has a Split..he had a Split once!this is where we have to find..he has three good pieces of former split..missing tousend of 100-1500 e parts..
yes..it is not easy decition..l said to my self..no more undriveble project..and now this..Very Happy..somebody is joking with me..WinkRazz
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys big thanks for help,your opiniom...l made a decition..ACTION!..first thing in the morning l called the guy..he is not living in country where shell is stored..we will meat with cash in a days!..wish me and this Split luck..that this story heappens..
in mean time..dear friends..if somebody has some parts l need..please conntact me..l have lot's of 58-66 parts to ofer..also some Porsche chrome wheels-2 pieces-dated 62..racks for pre 67 bug..accsories..aloy cans..vintage camping stuf for a bug..and so one and one..
thank all of you for a push!
vwespa
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. How much are you actually planning to pay in the end? Are you saying that the Split body is in Slovenia, but the seller isn't, and that he has other parts to sell as well?

Believe me, you may not be a youngster, and 16 seems like a long time ago, but 36 is still young. I speak as somebody for whom 36 years of age seems like a very long time ago!

The only 'plastic' (Duroplast) parts on a Trabant Kubel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Na0Lj-DuY are the front wings, and engine lid (bonnet) My Kubel is an original 1972 East German border patrol vehicle, which keeps my 1943 VW Kubelwagen company.

Good luck with getting the body shell, and i'm sure people will help you in future.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this is why I can relate to your dilemma. I was faced with many of the doubts and questions you have. The big difference was, my apprehension lasted about 5 minutes, before I bought this Iceland Green 2/55 bug body... the PO said, "what are you going to do with it"? and my reply was, "drive it... someday".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
I'm confused. How much are you actually planning to pay in the end? Are you saying that the Split body is in Slovenia, but the seller isn't, and that he has other parts to sell as well?

Believe me, you may not be a youngster, and 16 seems like a long time ago, but 36 is still young. I speak as somebody for whom 36 years of age seems like a very long time ago!

The only 'plastic' (Duroplast) parts on a Trabant Kubel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Na0Lj-DuY are the front wings, and engine lid (bonnet) My Kubel is an original 1972 East German border patrol vehicle, which keeps my 1943 VW Kubelwagen company.

Good luck with getting the body shell, and i'm sure people will help you in future.

Martin..sory if we missunderstand each other..l dont know a kubel trabant..thanks for telling me about..l will check it
about age..l just said that l wish lwas younger..maybe l would decide more free about the project..
about price and location l cant talk about now..but you also misunderatand it..my ofer is writen in first post..
thank you for good thoughts about helping..wish you the same
it is all about give and recive..
Vw.espa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...this is why I can relate to your dilemma. I was faced with many of the doubts and questions you have. The big difference was, my apprehension lasted about 5 minutes, before I bought this Iceland Green 2/55 bug body... the PO said, "what are you going to do with it"? and my reply was, "drive it... someday".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

l just can say..great my friend!!
thanks for energy and help to motivate me..
how is going with oval?...
VW Kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, I hope your offer is accepted. I hope you get the Split - the finished car will be beautiful and special Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: