Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

35mm film scanner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: 35mm film scanner Reply with quote

Hi Ya Gang,
I'm looking to buy a reasonable priced 35mm film scanner.
We have a huge amount of 35mm negatives that I'd like to pick through and scan.
Anybody have any scanner they like? or dislike
thanks
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.....do you just want them done...or do you want them similar to the quality that you took the original picture at?

Outside of "in the business" pro quality film scanners ..meaning you are scanning all day, every day and need massive file size and have millions of negatives.....if you want to do say...black and white an color high quality scans of 35mm with near or at original film quality...probably for max reproduction size of about 11X14 (just like and upper mid-level photo enlarger for 35mm negs)...and whether you are looking at basic Jpeg....Tiff...which is better...or RAW which is best....output.

This is a good shopping tutorial link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/film-scanners

And...having used a few here and there.....short of just digitizing images for teh heck of it with very little control.....there is very little in the "entry level" range that you will really be happy with....if you are digitizing GOOD negatives and want GOOD or EXCELLENT results.

Expect to spend right at $1000 if you want something you can really be happy with for 35mm. Remember...its a small negative.

I have used Pacific image products and they are very nice. Also...the equipment in the B&H link are cream of the crop....so probably all are very good. i have played with a friends Plustech system...very good.

I am surprised that there aree no Epson products especially the V750...which has been the gold standard for a while in mid-level affordable negative scanners.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/426128-REG/Epson_B11B178061_Perfection_V750_M_Pro_Scanner.html

The V700/750 range about three years ago was right at $1000. They can be had for $600 now. The upgrade is the V850 for right at $1000 now.

They do superb work. Also, the Epson and others have the option when they are flatbed (on glass) style of scanners like the 700/750...of using "wet method".....which may or may not still be cutting edge or have been replaced by better. But you use a special oil to wet the negatives (actually helps preserve old cracked ones) in the negative carrier on the glass...which makes a much cleaner more precise contact to the scanning glass.

Lots of new software capabilities etc.....lots to shop for. I will be in the market for one soon as well. I have tens of thousands of B&W negs and still take and develop B&W film along side color digital. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply and info Ray

I don't think I'd be happy with the lower priced units and the Hasselblad is out of my price range.

I think I'll go through the negatives, pick the few I want and send them to a special lab and have them do the job
Cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
thanks for the reply and info Ray

I don't think I'd be happy with the lower priced units and the Hasselblad is out of my price range.

I think I'll go through the negatives, pick the few I want and send them to a special lab and have them do the job
Cheers
Hank

It may or may not be as simple to get the results that way or not from negatives. Its easier if they have been made into prints at some point....because the person scanning them can tell what they were supposed to look like to you.

One would think that the highest megapixle scan rate would be best....when in fact it 2ill look worse because it scans too deeply and creates "artifacts", texture etc. So...software comes in.....as well as formulas and algorithms that are shown to work best with, sa6....one film type. ..developed to a certain density.
Its also not cheap for good results At a photo/lab shop.

That being said....if you really only have a handful...lab is best.
BUt......as I noted....you should really spend some time looking, reading and shopping is you plan to buy a scanner.
my notes are really short range. There are some low priced scanners some say....that put out as good of results for basic negatives as the best medium and hugh priced scanners did 5 years ago. I have no idea which ones...there are so many and the technol9gy is wide ranging. Ray
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from Khol's for like $30. Worked to preserve them. not much else.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before digital I had all my film developed and had a contact sheet printed. Then I'd look at the contact and have the photos I wanted printed.

I have a couple of Kodak photo paper 500 8x10 sheet boxes full of contact sheets.
I when built my house I built a complete B&W darkroom but haven't been in there for 20+ years.
It is a lot more fun to use my Adobe Photoshop.

I'll keep looking and reading
thanks
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
I when built my house I built a complete B&W darkroom but haven't been in there for 20+ years.
that's unfortunate.

Da TOW'D wrote:
It is a lot more fun to use my Adobe Photoshop.
no, it's not.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus
I don't miss the smell of acetic acid or sodium thiosulfate.
We mixed many gallons during my time at Brooks institute of Photography.
I'm not saying I didn't have fun in the darkroom but I'd rather beat on the computer now
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 35 that I develop the film on. I do it for fun. Same with the Polaroid.

If I want to take a good picture, I use a dslr and tweak it with photoshop. I'm not talking digital art, just fix the contrast, brightness and saturation like you would chemically.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For black and white. ...there is still nothing faster to make the properly exposed image....if you are trained to shoot what you see and see what you shoot...than film and careful developing of the negative.

Yes...you can do awesome black and white with digital.....in a similar method...mif you 0rogram your camera for your shooting style and to match the characteristics of the "film" you would have used.
but the digital sensor still takes far more information in than is necessary and makes for much more lengthy work to get an image that is only that image because you doctored it to look acceptable. Not saying its bad....just not the same effect.

This is why virtually all the B&W film developers are back on the market. The vast majority of proffessionals and mid proffesionals I know went from film to full digital and back to 80-90% digital for all color and a little B&W......and mostly film for fine black and white.
Even my favorite accufine developer is back on the market.

The detail that digital really has brought in play for B&W.....is that the scanning technology and software has gotten good enough with resolution fine enough....to scan black and white negs....with resolution as fine, or finer than the original silver grain.
And....more importantly.....inkjet output has created droplets small enough to also reproduce.....with the right software......the original grain structure of B&W for printing......so you can have the best of both worlds without having to use the enlarger and trays or processor.
6-7 years ago....affordable inkjets could not do that.

I agree...I can easily leave the enlarger behind in favor of inkjet. I deal with enough chemicals.
But....B&W film when shot properly, exposed in a good camera with great glass.....produces a fast 1:1 to image exposure that translates exactly what you see.....if you shoot a lot of B&W....and can look and see in B&W. With 100+ years of refinement behind it.....with good shooting.....the darkroom work at the print stage is rarely more than cropping (if necessary), maybe a contrast filter (something I usually think about during shooting)....and at worst a small amount of burn or dodge...but thats rare For me. Ray
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....if you shoot a lot of B&W....and can look and see in B&W.

I use a blue viewing filter to see in B&W
thanks
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold photo equipment for a living for 10 years and was a pro photographer for 20 years, including the transition period from film to digital.
I've owned and tested numerous dedicated 35mm, MF and flatbed scanners from Nikon, Minolta (RIP), Canon, Epson etc. etc.
For my money the best overall scanner on the market right now is the Epson V700/750 so that's what I bought. I was surprisingly impressed with it's ability to scan 35mm film.

Here's a couple from B&W film that look good - as long as your monitor is calibrated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
I sold photo equipment for a living for 10 years and was a pro photographer for 20 years, including the transition period from film to digital.
I've owned and tested numerous dedicated 35mm, MF and flatbed scanners from Nikon, Minolta (RIP), Canon, Epson etc. etc.
For my money the best overall scanner on the market right now is the Epson V700/750 so that's what I bought. I was surprisingly impressed with it's ability to scan 35mm film.

Here's a couple from B&W film that look good - as long as your monitor is calibrated!

Thank you for another good recommendation. Coming from a professional, every recommendation makes shopping easier.
I have used a few scanners for only a few negatives....but have used a V700 where I was working in Washington DC...for quite a few negatives, most using the wet method and film holder....and yes....I was also quite impressed.

That is probably what I will be buying this summer as well. I am currently looking at the V850 as well.

I am in the printing industry, did quite a bit of studio photography and photos to print early on in commercial printing. I am strictly industrial printing and imaging now (work wise)....but I never go anywhere without at least two cameras on hand....and I dont mean my phone Rolling Eyes ...even though they do have their excellent usefulness.

Also as Da tow'd noted...its true....if you shoot enough black and white you can see through the viewfinder...what you want and will get to a large degree,,,in B&W.

I have met a few teaching professionals recently....who are teaching photography....thankfully...starting with black and white film.
They are doing this because it truly teaches light and imaging....and most importantly....thoughtful framing and light usage....depth of field...filtering etc.
When you are limited to 24 or 36 shots per roll....you dont waste...and dont just thoughtlessly "burst" shoot and auto bracket...and hope you get things good enough that you can clean it up in PS.

All of that has its place and is great...its all good.....but I believe you become a better photographer with any camera or tool if you learn to view and plan images from sticks and stones level.

I am a "Pentaxian" actually. From my film ME supers and super programs down to my original Asahi K1000...and my current Pentax DSLR (soon to be upgraded)...which also accepts all of my collection of excellent quality film "glass" lenses. I still shoot back and white film and develop my own.

Ilford is still making killer films. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the Epson V700 Photo. I've used it for 35mm Kodachromes and various B&W films, as well as print scanning. I had tried the cheaper film scanners and they looked poor and did not last.

I have yet to use the wet kit I ordered, but that will come in handy when I scan the scratched slide and negatives accumulated over the last 60 years by my dad and myself.

I was not impressed with it's ability to remove scratches and noise automatically. I always got weird artifacts that were worse than the scratches. For small volume work, I use Photoshop to remove them one by one.

Though I shoot all digital now, I do miss the craft and wonder of handling film and prints in solution. But you can't beat the ease and repeatability of the digital workflow, though.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scanned many of my negatives through a Canon 8600F scanner several years ago. It did OK. Most of my old photos weren't good enough to need anything better, as I never did have a great film camera.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed 16 & 35mm black & white microfilm Every week in the 80's. I filmed a ton of blue prints on 35mm for the building departments & medical records etc on 16mm. It was a profitable business, but boring production work! I gladly bailed out of it instead of converting to the newer, but still boring production work scanner technology. Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I am a "Pentaxian" actually. From my film ME supers and super programs down to my original Asahi K1000...and my current Pentax DSLR (soon to be upgraded)...which also accepts all of my collection of excellent quality film "glass" lenses. I still shoot back and white film and develop my own.

Ilford is still making killer films. Ray

so am I - know anybody that would like a good, working Super Program?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm film scanner Reply with quote

I am going to bump this thread way up from 2015. My grandfather passed in 2007 and took a zillion 35mm slide photos with his trusty Leica. My dad was exactly the same - a collection of Leica's and favored slides over any other medium (we had a lot of living room slide shows growing up). Before my dad passes (both parents are hale and hearty in their mid to late 80's), I'd like to start transferring those slide images and share with the extended family.

Any upgrades since 2015 in film/slide scanners?

Thanks! Smile

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm film scanner Reply with quote

I'm happy to say my Epson from above post is still doing a great job with the film I've shot through Leica glass.
I was even able to upgrade the SilverFast software to the latest mac OS.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 35mm film scanner Reply with quote

i actually really enjoy shooting film but its kinda expensive if you cant process your own film.

IMO photoshop is almost a must if you want to do anything more than convert the negatives. ive just been using the scanner on my printer and it works great. you have to rotate the negative and crop the edges sometimes tho but its not that bad.

Ive been using a canon A1 for 3 or so years and its an amazing do it all sort of camera. not sure if the op is thinking about shooting film again but another fun format are the rollies or any other TLR.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: