Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daily-Driving or Show-Quality Paint Job?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should i do a Show-Quality or Daily-Drive Paint Job?
Show-Quality
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Daily-Driver
85%
 85%  [ 59 ]
Total Votes : 69

VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Daily-Driving or Show-Quality Paint Job? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I would appreciate your help on this one:

Two months ago, i bought my first VW bus, it is my first classic car. I spent almost a year looking for the right one for me; meanwhile, i've been trying to learn as much as possible about them (needless to say, thesamba has been a very important source of info for me).

I was lucky enough to find a pretty decent '64 standard (walkthrough) here in Florida, it was complete (minus middle seat, obviously), with minor body issues, for which i already sourced all metal from Gerson. Mechanically, the bus is in great condition: no leaks, starts right up, runs and breaks like a charm, and all electrical works. Only electrical flaw i can think of is the fuel gauge, it does work, but when you fill it up, it only gets to 3/4 of a tank, but for what i've learned here, that's a pretty common thing. Other than that, the bus is a pretty solid driver.

I've been in contact with Jason from Stratton Motorsports, in Winter Park FL, and my plan is to approach all the body issues once, the right way: blast the bus and have Jason go full OCD on every single body issue we might find, to make the body just perfect and 100% rust-free. It looks to be about 95% OK to begin with, and we are basically replacing all areas that need attention with new panels from KF.

Once the bus is blasted, and all the metal work is done, Jason will DP and undercoat it.

As i already mentioned, this is my first bus. I'm a 37 years old guy, married, no kids yet, and my intention is to drive the **** out of this bus. Some of you were lucky enough to have the chance to enjoy the "bus era" on your youth, but i wasn't born 'till '78... So, at this point of my life, what i really want is to actually ENJOY this bus, drive it on a daily basis, go to the beach on it, go on trips, etc. I will take proper care of it, but don't want to put it on a glass box to stare at it and worship it... at least not yet... I want to really enjoy it first! i have no plans to sell it either.

That bring us to the point in which i would appreciate your expert opinion:

I do have the means to restore this bus to a "Show-Quality" level, but i feel that doing so will not allow me to enjoy it the way i'm planning to. Don't get me wrong: all the metal work will be done at Show Quality level, and the bus will be DP'd, undercoated and painted, to preserve the body in that state.

But the area i've been having second thoughts about is the type of paint job: should i toss a $15k paint job on a bus that is meant to be driven daily, or should i just do a "standard" (less expensive) paint job first, enjoy the bus for a year or two, and then have it painted "the right way" later on. That will allow me to daily drive it for a year or two, without being overly concerned about every single little spec of dirt that lands on the paint... Yes, i know that this would mean spending money twice on paint... but then again, daily driving a show quality, $45k-$50k+ bus doesn't sound right to me (even Jason seems to agree with me on that one).

There's also the time factor: having the bus fully restored by Jason (including paint) would take about 6-8 months, whereas having Jason do the metal, and then having somebody else do a "standard" paint job (since Jason only does Show-Quality) would reduce that time, allowing me to start enjoying my bus sooner.

So, what do you guys think? Have any of you have gone this route? Any tips?

I'm sure some would say "just paint it the right way the first time, and just take proper care of it", but please keep in mind that my goal is to use it daily, and i don't want to be overly concerned about an expensive paint job going bad.

One last thing to consider: i'm planing to buy a house next year, but at this time what i own is a Condo, that means the bus is only protected from the elements by a cover, no closed garage. That's another reason why i feel having it painted "Show Quality" is not a good idea. Maybe by the time the restoration gets done i'll be closer to buying the house, but i rather play it safe and assume the worst case scenario (no garage, for at least a couple of months).

Having read all this, please comment, and also please vote on the poll.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build it to drive. You'll get a lot more smiles per dollar.
cherise1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoy it first and if you plan on keeping it forever, make it show quality when your older in life and dont want to do all the traveling.. maybe just do car shows in the area when you get it show quality

I am on the same fence.. i have had my bus for 2 years, doesnt run and has been sitting in the garage.. It needs alot of work... so i have putting money away for plans on making it show quality... well i have had some major health problems at the age of 47 and now i just want to get the bus "nice" quality running condition to enjoy it.. i have never drivin a splitty yet in my life.. i have had 3 westys from the 80's..

it sounds like you would rather enjoy it now and show it later.... that is my goal now...

hope it all works out for you
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherise1967 wrote:
enjoy it first and if you plan on keeping it forever, make it show quality when your older in life and dont want to do all the traveling.. maybe just do car shows in the area when you get it show quality.

it sounds like you would rather enjoy it now and show it later.... that is my goal now...

hope it all works out for you

Thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Daily Reply with quote

I say go with the daily driver paint job.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherise1967 wrote:
enjoy it first and if you plan on keeping it forever, make it show quality when your older in life and dont want to do all the traveling.. maybe just do car shows in the area when you get it show quality

^^^^^^^ Solid advice.

What does the bus look like now? Post some pics.

Sounds like you want to drive and enjoy the bus; If it were my bus, I would have the metal work done and seal things up and start using it.

A car cover will not do much to protect your paint; more of a dust cover than anything else. Best to park under a carport or garage.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

What does the bus look like now? Post some pics.

Sounds like you want to drive and enjoy the bus; If it were my bus, I would have the metal work done and seal things up and start using it.

here, have a look:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first view of the bus, the day i got it.

With Tony, the PO.

Taking it home. 110 mile trip, not as slow as i thought it would be Wink

yes... it does have some issues... but not many.

Some will say "drive it as it is, it looks cool", but being a bit of an OCD guy myself, i do like things to look shiny and clean; i'm not exactly a "patina" guy... Wink

StockNazi wrote:
A car cover will not do much to protect your paint; more of a dust cover than anything else. Best to park under a carport or garage.

Agree on that, unfortunately, i do not have access to either of those options right now.

The cover is the one from WW, and despite the "sales pitch" on the description, i know it will basically protect the bus from dust, direct sunlight and bird droppings "direct hits"... at least it is breathable, meaning that the moisture shouldn't get trapped underneath. Hopefully the cover will be only a temporary measure, as i intend to buy a house with garage sometime next year.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you are a self described OCD type, it seems that a nice paint job would be more of a source of stress than a source of joy. Shiny busses are for others to enjoy, driver busses are for the driver to enjoy.
'61 Panel dove blue"Rche"
'65 Bug rusty"Tina"
'83 Porsche 944
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily drivers with blemishes are the ones that I love. You can polish and paint all you want, but you can't recreate a story about why there is a certain chip or scratch. Drive and enjoy!
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG67westy wrote:
since you are a self described OCD type, it seems that a nice paint job would be more of a source of stress than a source of joy. Shiny busses are for others to enjoy, driver busses are for the driver to enjoy.

Wow, you couldn't be more right! thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to decide between a show paint job and a regular paint job? or show paint and "use as is"?

Regardless of show paint or "regular" paint it's still going to be shiny so saying shiny is for others to enjoy, that's pretty much a moot point since both will be shiny paint jobs.

The paint on my bus is not even close to being show quality but still presentable and I drive mine every day with no worries. I vote for regular paint job and enjoy.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus looks nice, me, I like a nice paint job but not to nice.I usually have a tendency to f**k my cars in a small way after new paint. But Thank god Im not OCD. So the little scars that happen, well" thats life/shit happens". If you prep the bus, prep it tape it, have macco paint it with there upper end paint job. ( they paint hundreds of cars a week)Reinstall everything and drive it........show cars to me are more ego than fun....so drive it have fun.......or trailer it to shows, sit under a shade and let folks oggle over you "art peice" IMO..
Thomas
ps . not to offend OCD guys.....

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say get the best paint job that you can afford and then drive it. Rust is a much bigger enemy than paint scratches, so make sure the painter uses high quality materials and does the right prep work.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't paint it intending to paint it again unless it just needs it. Put a good single stage paint job on it inside and out and enjoy it. No need for a 100% perfect paint job. (my original paint has a few runs and imperfections on the inside) Get it protected and and spend a few thousand on a good paint job, leave the great/perfect paint job to museum pieces. The important thing is you are getting the bodywork done properly and getting it protected, it will look great.

Last edited by Pinetops on Tue May 26, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can spend a lot more money on body/prep than you can on paint. The factory did pretty good... but to get gaps and relative flatness tits... takes lot$ of time. A half ass paint job on a well prepped bus can be worked to look very good... as long as there's enough material. I'd spend the money on body/prep.
Backyard paint if you have to.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice "driver quality" paint job is perfect for a driver. Show quality will break your heart every time you get a door ding, bird bomb or parking lot scrape. If you plan on driving the bus at all it'll get it's share of bumps and scrapes. When you're older and stop driving it, then you can get the show quality job. I personally never plan on getting too old to drive my old bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inside looks serviceable, don't pint the dash, not much else exposed....

get the rust fixed, leave the inside paint alone, that saves a lot of money, paint the outside nice , and keep the mechanicals in top shape.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the perspective of someone driving a nine-seat standard, if at all in doubt relax; keep things modest, casual, and in perspective ..which is how i voted.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobzKombi wrote:
Are you trying to decide between a show paint job and a regular paint job? or show paint and "use as is"?

Show <--> Regular

RobzKombi wrote:

Regardless of show paint or "regular" paint it's still going to be shiny so saying shiny is for others to enjoy, that's pretty much a moot point since both will be shiny paint jobs.

I belive he was refering to "show quality Shine", but i understand your point.

I do like shiny stuff... You know, all part of the whole OCD thing.

Since i was a kid, i used to dismantle things just to clean them/make them look good... Needless to say, the resto on this bus hasn't officially started yet, but i already took everything appart at least once, just for fun Smile

RobzKombi wrote:
The paint on my bus is not even close to being show quality but still presentable and I drive mine every day with no worries. I vote for regular paint job and enjoy.
thats it. Thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is going to be one of those patina-or-not threads <cough/>.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: