Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"HELP" SMOKING engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: "HELP" SMOKING engine Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new tu VWs. I have a 1970 standard I just put in a new tranny in my car and had to change the pressure plate to match. Runs ok and drives ok. Here is my issue. After driving it to work this morning i noticed that smoke was coming from the engine compartment. I got to work and opened the lid. I seen that there was alot of smoke coming from behind of the engine :Bell housing". So my question is where might the smoke be coming from? Could it be an issue with the tranny or clutch? My clutch cable is a little short. Could that cause an issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after some looking it seems like the smoke is from oil coming out of both valve covers and dripping on the heater box. Now my question is I think my car is running hot and milted or broke the gasket in the covers. Does this sound like it could be what is causing the leeks? Thanks.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wait ,wait. Your clutch cable is a little short? Is your clutch slipping? You're gonna go through quite a few clutches like that. You should have 3/4" to 1" of free play in the pedal. might wanna check that and get the right clutch.

As far as oil leaking from the valve covers, that isn't a sign of overheating. Rather, it's a sign that you need new valve cover gaskets. Throw away those crappy rubber or composite gaskets and get the cork ones.
Are you using bolt on EMPI valve covers? I bought those once and they ALWAYS leaked on me. Now I only use the stock valve covers with the bails. Never had a leak and I never buy new gaskets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2X on "awreed" post and make sure you've put the right clutch in your car they changed between 70-71. If you go with a 71 trans then your going to need a different clutch. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/200mm-Kennedy-Engineering-Racing-Pressure-Plates-p/kep-200mm.htm

As far as oil dripping on your heater boxes it is a hazard that happens sooner or later to all of us. When it happens to me I clean them out with a non flammable brake cleaner or some spray can stuff. Get the cheapest you can find and used a couple or even 3 or four cans of the stuff get all that oil out of your heaters so it does not smell bad inside the car when the heaters are turned on. Don't turn on the heaters until it's baked out either.
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer tranny has the longer arm thing with this seems like the cable is short. I can get the nut on but barely. I was thinking that the clutch as not releasing all the way causing the smoke. But now i see its from the covers. Here is the issue tho. It never leaked till i removed the engine and out it back in. I did drive it around with the with the motor tins off. I read that it could cause it to overheat and leaking gaskets were a symptom.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefropi wrote:
Here is the issue tho. It never leaked till i removed the engine and out it back in. I did drive it around with the with the motor tins off. I read that it could cause it to overheat and leaking gaskets were a symptom.

You drove it around with the "motor tins" off ????? What made you think that was a good idea ??? You have this great forum here and you never bothered to post such a silly query ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefropi wrote:
I did drive it around with the with the motor tins off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not thinking... So did i mess up the motor? It still runs good.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefropi wrote:
I was not thinking... So did i mess up the motor? It still runs good.

I don't know. Fix your valve cover gasket oil leak, get back to us with valve lash numbers and compression numbers and let's see.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Jefropi wrote:
I did drive it around with the with the motor tins off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LMAO!!! Again!!
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay cmon im a new to vws had no idea they were for cooling. Thought it was for keeping road grime out of engine compartment. It was just a test drive.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefropi wrote:
Hay cmon im a new to vws had no idea they were for cooling. Thought it was for keeping road grime out of engine compartment. It was just a test drive.

Jefropi wrote:

Don't take it too seriously. The Samba is a rough room to work. Laughing
Lots of smart people here, who are often good-natured smart asses too. Very Happy

I doubt you ruined your motor with a test drive. As long as it wasn't a 2 hour test drive, at speeds approaching 90. Shocked

DO get a Bentley manual for your car.
DON'T be afraid to ask. There's even a Stupid Question thread, for when you need to ask "What are the engines tins for?"

I went back and read your older posts. Right now, it seems you're stumbling around, and I fear you may become frustrated and quit. You need to make a few VW friends, which shouldn't be too hard since you live in Cali. With a little help from your friends, you'll begin to really enjoy your VW.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Cali are you? If you're in the SF South Bay, I'd be happy to take a look. I'm by no means an ACVW expert, but I know my way around and have been working on cars for a long while now.
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I live in Auburn north of Sacramento. The car does not smoke that much anymore but does run very hot. Cant touch the dipstick.
Jefropi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nex question is how do i tell if the fan vent is open on the motor? When i took the motor out I forgot to check this. Is there an easy way to find out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: