Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia owners, where do you put your left leg when driving?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Ghia owners, where do you put your left leg when driving? Reply with quote

lol, ok I know that this sounds stupid but bare with me. Whenever I drive my ghia I always find my left foot just awkwardly sitting on the blade of my foot on the floor. I have noticed this with the bugs and ghias that I have driven because of the wheel well. What does everyone else do? If you put your foot flat on the ground your knee hits between the door card and the steering wheel. By the way, this is for LHD cars. All you lucky RHD people just put your left leg out and have no wheel well in your way. Ps, has anyone made a "dead pedal?". Thanks.
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this thread there is a picture or someones attempt

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574602&highlight=foot+rest
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dead pedal mod looks like something I may try too. When I'm on long straightaways like interstates I'll start searching for the comfortable spot for the left leg. Most of my back road cruises has lots of curves, hills and dales so I'm working and moving arms and legs so I don't notice it as much but those straightaways......
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia owners, where do you put your left leg when driving Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
... Whenever I drive my ghia I always find my left foot just awkwardly sitting on the blade of my foot on the floor. ... What does everyone else do?
Conditions permitting, I kick off my shoes and cock my left leg up so my left foot is resting where the dash meets the door. This not only keeps my left leg and foot happy, it also promotes air circulation in my nether region and lets me rest the crook of my elbow on my knee for a relaxed thumb and index finger hold on the steering wheel. It's like I was blueprinted for my Ghia. Think Same for my bus. Very Happy

Charley
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I don't even notice how my left leg is, but today I paid attention on the way to work - paying attention made it feel uncomfortable lol. Seems like my foot sits on its side - like at 90* and next to my right leg, with my toes pointed towards the pedals. My knee is close to the door panel but doesn't touch it, or the steering wheel/ my seat rails are set back abit so I'm not really as close as you probably are.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually 90 degrees with my knee touching the door panel.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 356 Porsche has a similar seating position but also has the dead pedal which is more comfortable. My 74 Ghia cabriolet does not have the dead pedal and I rest my foot on the heater channel, but it is not as comfortable as the 356.

74 Ghia Cabriolet (bought it in 74 new)
63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 356 Porsche has a similar seating position but also has the dead pedal which is more comfortable. My 74 Ghia cabriolet does not have the dead pedal and I rest my foot on the heater channel, but it is not as comfortable as the 356.

63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
weldvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat.....would you please give us a comparison of driving a 356 vs. ghia.

Thanks Don
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving the Ghia is delightful, especially with the top down. I have owned it since new and it is a very reliable car, although getting old now. The Ghia is lots of fun in the 30-60mph range of cruising on back roads of Virginia. She handles well and does corners in a smoother fashion than the shorter wheelbase 356. Also she doesn't have swing axles. I do not get on freeways with the Ghia or the 356.

The 356 is really hoot to drive with the engine cranking out about 90 horses and she accelerates quite quickly and corners briskly but not as smooth as the Ghia. The 356 is great fun on curvy back roads and even around town. Stops quickly considering she has drum brakes all around--but they are huge drums. Best way to describe the 356 is it is like driving a roller skate!

I love them both and enjoy driving both. The Ghia is a more comfortable cruiser while the 356 in much faster and quicker in handling, but not quite as smooth as the Ghia. Hope this answers you question.

63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia owners, where do you put your left leg when driving Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
lol, ok I know that this sounds stupid but bare with me. Whenever I drive my ghia I always find my left foot just awkwardly sitting on the blade of my foot on the floor. I have noticed this with the bugs and ghias that I have driven because of the wheel well. What does everyone else do? If you put your foot flat on the ground your knee hits between the door card and the steering wheel. By the way, this is for LHD cars. All you lucky RHD people just put your left leg out and have no wheel well in your way. Ps, has anyone made a "dead pedal?". Thanks.

LOL, we have talked about RHD cars and I have had a few in my time. An idle right leg is awful... really don't know what to do with it.

As you recall, last time you came to our place, we went for a ride in my '87 MR2... you drove. We zig-zagged around, but did not cruise. You may not have noticed the foot rest, to the left of the clutch. It's in a very comfortable position and great for long hauls... around town is too busy red lining that little DOHC 1600 to 7500 rpms.

Had a 1954 Pre-A Porsche with a 1957 bug 36 horse in it, back in the late 90s and like others my left foot was glued to the floor and my knee was bent and leaning on the door panel... driving the Ghia is about the same... a lot of leg room in that cockpit.

In my dreams, after I get my NSX, I want a white 2 liter 914. A foot rest for the Ghia is a great idea... Thanks!
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember driving that mr2 very well ZEN! Thanks again for that! I still want to get an mk1 mr2 that I can DD. I just need to wait for the right one!

I might be making a deadpedal for the ghia soon. Ill post it on here when the time comes now that school is out and I got nothing but a part time job to do and a car to work on Smile
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: