Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An apology and thank you to all
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: An apology and thank you to all Reply with quote

Just want to get this out there.
I've been going back and reading the epic build thread that's poorly written full of unnecessary anger and I was surprised. The information it contains is astounding. Made me think...as big of a jackass as I was and still you guys wanted to help. Somebody posted in ankther thread, jfats I think, that its not that they have to help. ...but they want to. They want to. Think about that. What other hobby will you find people wanting to help someone who's being disrespectful and frankly just being an absolute jerk. Only the VW community. Thanks to everyone for your help and patience.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so damn easy to get frustrated and disenchanted when you are in way over your head, clueless and way over-budget. A little reassuring by "people who've been there and done that" goes a long way. I know I'm right in the middle of it all and I'm surprised everyday by the generosity and kindness of the members of this community. I wasn't here during the time of your build, but Kudos to you for taking the high road.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never too late Very Happy
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Never too late Very Happy

You've got that right, brother. Btw, love the youtube videos. Never judge by what you see or think you know.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for the humility, bro, but Sambas can also be assholes at times. It wasn't all you. shoptalkforums are a bit more technical, but the site is not well administered...
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learned something today, and that's good. Leaving it alone is sometimes hard to do (I've been drawn in myself a few times as well Embarassed Laughing ). But as Quokka allluded to, it takes 2 to tango, and we can only hope some other people here will see this and recognize their "moments" as well.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jackass!! dont forget you had help getting all the fustration!!!whoos right? whoos rong? whoos pulling your chain? yes you steped in it a few times, ....well a little more than that. with no end in sight....there are somany different openions&ideas on all of this stuff. and the bus drives by hourly,so when you hear one thing than another from an "exspert" or competeter it gets easyer to throw somebody under that hourly buss. and then there is the time frame,and family and car shows and wishes and wants.....they never mix well but are always necessary .and then there is the eggo poping up out of the toaster every so offten from all posters. your trying,trying hard to do it all and do it right and balance life befor&after then again,then again&again all the time still thinking this is never gonna get done I gotta finish it next week.....what if....... so in the end......dont worry forgetabout it. it's all in cyberspace now so nobody could possiably see it Shocked you will be there soon enough.you have turned a corner so go straight on till morning. your hooked.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW community is definitely a folks of a higher caliber. I used to frequent an r/c helicopter forum and those guys were complete jerks. If you bought a heli and it wasn't the popular brand they bashed you like crazy. If you didn't want to set up your heli for 3D flight you were bashed. Made me want to quit.

VW guys especially here, lend tons of help without asking for anything in return.

Love you guys!

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we all know there is no bashing hear Shocked none,nada,zip. Rolling Eyes
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if trying to get the "tone" of someone's voice isn't hard enough in text; there are all sorts of factors to getting a good thread going that is helpful to the OP and Posterity. As many know the Regulars who post answers to questions usually want the Original Post Question in a well written form, respectful, calm and with enough info that can be used to diagnose the problem and then offer advice or a solution. It is never a good idea to bad mouth anyone offering to help when you don't know the level of expertise the person has who is trying to help (Not directed at you Shortlug); just making a point. If you don't know, what you don't know then read enough related post to see how other successful threads have been asked and answered. There is a rhythm on the Samba on how things go and if it's followed you're in.
Like Mr Miyagi; we may ask seemingly unrelated question about a set up or condition or suggest a certain test, then whip out an awesome solution out of nowhere. Not everyone has the same age, background, experience, maturity or education so those things sometimes lay the groundwork on how a thread initially starts out as helpful or bashing UNTIL we know where the OP is coming from we don't know what angle to take with a reply that makes sense and is helpful. Just some advice for many noobs or lurkers who want to come out.
And while I am at it, in general, Calling assuming names to people is ridiculous when; again, you don't know who you are talking to. Never assume the smartest ones have to be the oldest, tie-dye wearing hippies for example.
I Hope this helps people in the future.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is big on critisizing. It can be very helpful, but can also lead to loss of direction and frustration. I like John's advice of picking one person to listen to and trusting their advice, but there is also room for experimenting and thinking outside the box, trying your own things and learning from it.

Your car looks great, your family does as well. Enjoy the ride.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you pick one person...and they think they know it all,,and are exspert's at everything(usualy in thier own mind) and only do the berg thing.....you may not be a redneck.but you will possiably end up screwed. I can and have done all kinda of stuff.but...I havent done it all...yet Wink like me building my trans...I cant make heads or tails from the bently book.so...Im asking questions. how else are we we to learn simple shit. and as always use a good filter.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the replies.....classic!
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
The VW community is definitely a folks of a higher caliber. I used to frequent an r/c helicopter forum and those guys were complete jerks. If you bought a heli and it wasn't the popular brand they bashed you like crazy. If you didn't want to set up your heli for 3D flight you were bashed. Made me want to quit.

VW guys especially here, lend tons of help without asking for anything in return.

Love you guys!

RunRyder ???
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And shut up Mark !!! your just an old V-8 guy !!!
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
And shut up Mark !!! your just an old V-8 guy !!!

I friccin hate the way the man types. But I appreciate what he's attempting to convey once I take the time to decipher it. Funny guy..
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider Mark as one of the real assets here.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I can't always read and understand what he writes when I'm drunk... Or he is?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All different personalities. ...but with the same love for these cars. Cor me, I've found it best to listen to everybody.....their own personal pros and cons for whatever they like. Gives me a lot of diferent angles to make my decision on. There's a ton of knowledge and experience at my disposal here. The trick is to be patient amd learn. Open up the mind.

Sometimes the mind opens....sometimes not so much. Razz
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody knows it all, and even the brightest can learn something from...me? Rolling Eyes well from somebody. If they just keep thier eyes,ears and MIND open to new and different ideas. I know Ive learned a lot hear.mostly small simple stuff that makes things go easyer, and some issues that are kinda unique to these things(bug's too!) and how to remedy them. I seem to remember somebody smarter than me said, there are no stupid questions...only stupid people. so...dont be stupid, ask the effing question before you eff something up and realy look stupid when you tell everybody&question why those nice new parts are all effed up:wink:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: