Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie here
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Newbie here Reply with quote

Hello,

I finally bought a 1964 Beetle. First stage will be to restore the ride height.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pick up! I like the ride height Smile
RustyPans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Beetle. I'm really liking that front bumper.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any early '60's Bug is a great find, let the fun (and a thinner wallet) begin...
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bug. glad to hear you plan on fixing the ride height, it looks like shit right now and is probably unsafe and poor handling to drive.

for the record i like lowered cars, but stooooopid slammed is stoooopid.
76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fronts adjustable but how do I raise the rear this vehicle's brand new to me?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn how to use the search function of this site ; There are pages and pages on raising . lowering , painting , starting ,
Go to the 58 67 forum page and find the little black box ( top left ) [search this forum ] and type your search question

I just typed in "raising rear suspension " and got 23 threads on that subject

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never under stood why people narrow the front ends and lower them. They are almost a 4WD Stock height with 165X15's in the front and something bigger like 205's in the back. Nice to have the back up enough to clear the big tires too. The added circumference of the bigger tires make it nice on the open road. But To Each his Own1 Disc brakes are nice if you match the Rear Braking to the front Braking. People think you can get away with just putting Disc on the front but it's dangerous.
Would love to see some photos of the Engine and your thoughts on it.
Welcome!
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
... People think you can get away with just putting Disc on the front but it's dangerous...

I don't know that this is true, after all the factory did it on the Karman Ghia. I've been driving bugs with Ghia disks up front for 20 years and never felt there was a front to rear imbalance.

But I don't know about the aftermarket disk brake kits, if the caliper piston area is different then the factory calipers then yes, it could cause some issues. Even in that case, changing tire diameter and width will likely have a much greater effect on braking power and balance than a few mm in piston diameter.

Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it they were standard VW they probably are a lot more balanced. Sure is nice though to be able to stop so fast. The problem comes when the fronts lock up too soon. The best fix I know of was to get the type 3 backing plates and run type 3 drums in the rear: Here is a link for doing it: http://www.aircooledvwaddiction.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=42 but good luck finding 61 to 64 Type 3 VW backing plates!
MomoMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Bug you got there! I like the LOOK of it as it sits now, but understand the functionality needed.

Have fun on your first adventure, raising the butt.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them low, but that is a little too much for my taste. Raising it will be a nice little weekend project for you.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All_talk wrote:
Danwvw wrote:
... People think you can get away with just putting Disc on the front but it's dangerous...

I don't know that this is true, after all the factory did it on the Karman Ghia. I've been driving bugs with Ghia disks up front for 20 years and never felt there was a front to rear imbalance.

But I don't know about the aftermarket disk brake kits, if the caliper piston area is different then the factory calipers then yes, it could cause some issues. Even in that case, changing tire diameter and width will likely have a much greater effect on braking power and balance than a few mm in piston diameter.

Gary

not just the karmann ghia, bugs were sold all over the world with front discs as well....just not North America. Type 3's and baywindow buses also had front discs and rear drums. as far as I know most if not all 4 lug disc conversions are based off the karmann ghia stuff. i dont feel there is anything intrinsically unsafe about adding front discs (4 or 5 lug) and keeping rear drums.
76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most don't know it but modified braking can be really dangerous. What happens is disc brakes get added to an early beetle which increases it's stopping ability from high speed wonderfully, But even with the 1967 dual master cylinder there is not enough rear braking now to match the front. So in an emergency stop the backs will not lock up but the fronts lock up way too easily. Pretty easy to spin it out coming down a mountain pass on black top doing over 40 mph too. And on dirt or gravel especially if coming down hill and into a turn you can't stop it very well at all. The solution is to add stronger braking in the rear. Either Disc or Type 3. I tried the Porsche 356 Brakes but they were not enough I think metal shoes would help though. Also if your rear tires are bigger than the front tires it aggravates the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: