Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shut off down hill in fourth - no gas??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
84GL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Shut off down hill in fourth - no gas?? Reply with quote

My 1984 1.9 water cooled shut off going down hill in fourth without the gas fully warmed up. I put it in neutral, turned the off then on and put it back in fourth and it would not bump start. So I pulled over and it started with the key and drove home. Has anyone ever heard of this? it also shuts off when at idle cold but not warm.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your "down hill in 4th without the gas shut off" could be a result of your van running poorly. Same reason it will not idle. When you are coasting in gear with out giving gas, you are essentially idling while in gear. I would figure out why your van is not idling properly. Could be a basic tune up needed, vacuum leak, low compression.......just about anything. Have you checked into your idling problem?
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the operation of you throttle position switch.
84GL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I live in San Diego and am lucky to be down the street from California Westys. Those guys are Aces. When I key started it, it sounded like it was running hot. Sure enough the return hose coming into the water pump was full of air. My bleeder valve in the engine compartment is clogged and when I tried to bleed it my self nothing happened.
They pressurized the tank, loosened the clamp and pried it open with a hook tool to let the air out, a lot of air. He pressurized the tank three times to bleed it. He found no compression leaks so that's good. He recommended a new radiator and hoses under the radiator which are deteriorated and scaly.
The van runs awesome otherwise. High compression on the rebuild which they sold me and installed plus replacing the plugs with the NGK BP6ET gives me great throttle response. Even though they didn't recommend those because of the higher operating temps. So with that in mind, I have to keep an eye on my cooling system and keep it up to par.
Before sending me off with no charges, I negotiated my way into an internship cleaning and helping around the shop in exchange for their knowledge. AWESOME!!
I will look into the idle thing.
Keep Rollin'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: